Rear brake?

cycleman

Registered
My rear brake is pretty sorry. Really feels dead. Is this going to need some kind of break-in to get better? The front is really good but the rear could be a LOT better.

The rear brake is always a lot less able than the front.
As you use it it may break in better.
A lot of guys do not even use the rear brake at all.
I use it a little everytime, and when there is an emergency, it is just natural for me.
You could try and bleed the rear system. There are 2 bleed screws on the back, so don't miss them.

That was my complaint when I bought my busa also but you get use to it. The front brake is where all of you stopping power is, I use the rear to balance braking control and trail braking to bleed off speed when entering corners.

The rear brake is always a lot less able than the front.
As you use it it may break in better.
A lot of guys do not even use the rear brake at all.
I use it a little everytime, and when there is an emergency, it is just natural for me.
You could try and bleed the rear system. There are 2 bleed screws on the back, so don't miss them.

This is a Gen2 forum...ONE bleeder screw.

:banghead:

Not air. Just the worst rear brake I've ever used. Like dragging a stick.

You can upgrade the pads...still won't be the greatest. The ONLY time I use the rear brake is around town when stopping at a red light.

In the twisties and at the race track (road course)...it's ALL front brakes anyway.

I only use it in slow maneuvering situations like in a parking lot. Too much rear brake in an emergency situation can be devastation..

It's probably a good thing that it's not more grabby. Nothing like trying to get stopped fast and having the azz in break out from under you too.

It's probably a good thing that it's not more grabby. Nothing like trying to get stopped fast and having the azz in break out from under you too.

Or PASS you...lots of different theories on braking :whistle:

But too much use of the rear brake can get you into trouble :banghead:

I would have liked to have a better brake and leave the modulation up to me. You couldn't slide the rear tire with both feet.

I would have liked to have a better brake and leave the modulation up to me. You couldn't slide the rear tire with both feet.

If they made it that strong...some idiot would kill himself. It works
well enough...maybe you should check into some different riding
and braking techniques ???

Not air. Just the worst rear brake I've ever used. Like dragging a stick.
The rears are a little soft, but like you, I like to modulate front and rear.What did you ride before you got the Busa? I had a Kawasaki C2 ZX-9R. it had awsome brakes;it stopped like right now!

That's rather the point I think. I think this rear break is just about perfect...stops the rear overtaking the front in a sudden stop without locking it up.

Anyway, if you want to feel a piss-poor excuse for a rear break try riding a Ducati...I'm not altogether sure why they even bother putting one on at all.

If they made it that strong...some idiot would kill himself. It works
well enough...maybe you should check into some different riding
and braking techniques ???

Thanks for the advice. Was riding bikes around Europe in the early sixties so I'M probably not experienced like you. Guess it works for you.

Thanks for the advice. Was riding bikes around Europe in the early sixties so I'M probably not experienced like you. Guess it works for you.

Well you were not riding a Hayabusa back then...there have been some changes in the last 4 or 5 DECADES in bike technology :thumbsup:

Here are some opinions and hints about the rear brake usage:

Brakes.jpg

The rear brake is not gonna stop (in a short distance) 500 lbs + rider without breaking loose the rear tire. I use it just about every time I stop, but only gently ... never had an unexpected skid. If you force her to stop (try to get more out of the rear) she's gonna lock it up and leave you to figure out what to do next.

I have purposely tried to lock up the rear going in a straight line @ about 30mph. Mine does not lock up. I'm going to back bleed it tonight and see if there's some air in there. I replaced the pads w/ebc ceramic. I use my front for 95% of my braking, but it does seem that the rear could be a little better.

Back