Raced an R-1 Today

paineless4u

Donating Member
Registered
Went riding and stumbled across some R-1 going in the same direction as me so I caught up, he looked over, and it was on. He passed the car and we were heading for a series of twisties!!!! Mine you I only have 600 miles of seat time on my bike so I wasn't going to crash for bragging rights. It was pretty cool because I trailed about 40 yrds behind and could see how fast he was taking the corners and I have to say he was hitting them quite fast. I smelled burning brakes everytime I entered a corner. He was clearly faster but the Busa would catch up really quick upon exiting the curves. This went on for about 15 minutes and finally stopped at a stop sign waved to each other and turned in different directions. I couldn't breathe afterwards and I can say I never been that fast before in the twisties. Got home and was still breathing heavy. Talk about a little fear mixed with adrenaline. I was hitting my brakes so hard sometimes I would feel the back want to lock up even though I was using mostly the front to slow down. Maybe the foot got a little heavy on the back brakes but it was still really fun. He was using one lane and I found my self using both lanes trying to cheat alittle:) I only used both lanes when It was a long sweeping corner where I could see through the whole curve. I need a cam corder for Christmas:):):):)

Just got to be careful and not ride beyond your capabilities!

I would have to agree with Big BS. If you start riding beyond your means it can only spell disaster... Get some more time in your seat before you get yourself really hurt...

yeah I wasn't getting to crazy and I really wasn't trying to beat the guy, I was just checking out how he was hitting the corners. Plus it was the same twisties I have been practising on. He seemed to be a pretty good rider and I was really just trying to learn from him. I kept a good distance away and took note where is was braking at before the turns. It wasn't like we were knee dragging the corners but the pace was pretty quick. I would say we never made it past 100 mph.

Good way to make your observations. You seem to have been in control for the most part.

Sounds like you had some fun and learned a little on the side.
cool.gif

Just be carefull. Don't ride any faster than your gaurdian angel can fly.
wink.gif

Sounds like you had a good time. A slower entry can mean a faster exit so try to keep it in your lane and see what that does for ya. I know you were able to see all the way but crossing that painted line while leaned over ain't always the smartest thing to do. Enjoy and next time get him in the straights!

Cool. Sounds like fun, but I personally avoid the center line like it was a brick wall with steel spikes hangin' out of it. I've had the busa step out on me when I hit those painted stripes before. Even if nothin's comin' it sucks to be railin' and feel the rear step out unintentionally.
eek2.gif

yeah, those center lines are slicker than anything ... hit on on the dragon and man let me tell you... the pucker factor was at an all time height, like I thought I was gonna chew through my seat
wow.gif

Sounds like fun though, next time we need some pics
cool.gif

Nice! Rear brakes - only for stoplights or wheely correction, IMO.
smile.gif
Don't forget the fact that the rear brakes are wonderful for stabilizin' the bike in low speed turns and u-turns. Learned that tip from some of the good folks from this site a while back and I must say it's excellent advice.

I rarely use the rear for more than that and stoplights. Since I don't wheelie I don't need to correct them.
wink.gif
Occasionally I also use a little rear trail brakin' into a corner to scrub off a bit more speed goin' in hot but not very often...

I've definitely learned that the rear brake can be yer friend if you use it wisely.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I really enjoy your story with the R1!All I can do is wait until march when snow will melt again.
Nice to get some pics too.

I rode a new R1 for the last month in asia. Not because I loved it, but because no busas were available. The R1 did seem a might quicker, but thats only cuz I was flippin her a lot.

The important item of note tho is that after a month of ridin an R1, there is no way in hell I would trade my busa for an R1 (which by all accounts is a NICE bike).

Back