Almost got smeared into a interstate devider today

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
I was heading to work this morning, traveling in the fast lane approaching a curve. Next to me was a semi hauling fuel. Once I got to the curve I started to turn, he did not, cutting at least 8 feet into my lane, I honked but it was useless. All I could do was wait for the inevitable. ( I was pinned and had no where to go) Luckily the driver must have woken up and swerved back into his lane at the very last moment. I was inches from being pushed into the divider.

Lucky to be here this morning.

Funny thing is, for the first time, I did not experience the fight or flight phenomena. Normally I would have had a heart attack, but I was cool and collective the entire time. Does this mean I may be getting to that point in my riding where I don't panic in dangerous situations, and execute decisions based on experience and not fear?

My friend with a busa slammed on his breaks to stop at a light. I ran the yellow, (no traffic the other way.) Looked in my rear view and a van cames inches from slamming him. He was on the inside of the lane and I was on the outside. He would have creamed me. I had gear on, but i would have been hurt. The guy was hauling a*s and on his cell phone. Good thing I ran the light! People need to pay attetion!

I love the ones that roll thru a stop sign on a side street coming onto the main road. That is why I alway ride on the inside lane in 3 gear in town.

Don

On the way to work in SF, CA this morning. In carpool
lane doing about 75mph. Looked in rearview and saw
car closing fast. Looked forward and traffic at complete
stop. Clicked down three gears, let engine break me for
a moment then flicked right and split between cars. The
car closing mashed on breaks and almost slammed into
the car that broke in front of me. Close one. Guy following
me wasn't paying attention at all.

two close calls riding to work in traffic and stupid driver start to pull over in my lane slowed down and and was able to get on the shoulder a bit blowing my horn all the time no one hurt but lucky the guy behind me saw what was happening and was not bumper to bumper.

Second time riding on highway soccer mom in a van talking on the phone just started pulling into my lane no one ahead of me a wuick right twist of the wrist and C-YA

Funny thing is, for the first time, I did not experience the fight or flight phenomena. Normally I would have had a heart attack, but I was cool and collective the entire time. Does this mean I may be getting to that point in my riding where I don't panic in dangerous situations, and execute decisions based on experience and not fear?
I think the more a person rides, the more comfortable they get with these type of situations. Years back, a situation like you described above would make my heart pound for a few minutes. Now, its almost liek a "Zone" thing for me. Im comfortble with the Busa, and know my skills on her...which allow me to relax and not over-react for the most part.

I had an incident last week I posted about where I ended up splitting lanes because 3 teens in a truck were messing with me, and swerved at me. At 70+ mph, I split lanes between a semi and these kids in the truck, I pulled up next to their truck, and calmly gave them the finger, and managed to keep extremely calm and confident. Maybe what I did was foolish...but thats not my point here, my point is I was in between a large semi, and a pickup full of kids who swerved at me, at hwy speeds, and I managed to not over-react, did not get nervous from the wind throwing me around from the semi, and my heart beat hardly became elevated. I think that when a person rides everyday, you become accustom to certain things and your comfort level gets higher in these situations.

Back