another friend down

riironman

Donating Member
Registered
Had a a friend go down yesterday on his 05 gsxr 750. Totaled the bike. he was so lucky he didnt get hurt. He hit a guardrail with his back and folded in half at least 40-50 mph. all he was wearing was his helmet. He didnt get any injuries or road rash. He had angels with him that day! He was following another guy around curve and the first guy got scared and braked hard and got out of the lane forcing the 2nd guy into the grass where he lost control into a guardrail. The newbie needs to know once u negotiate a turn u stick in it......most people cant out ride a bikes capabilities. The guy i was riding behind had a 04 cbr 600 and he did the same thing to me. damn i was swearing...but when i check the mirrors behind me after the curve i noticed there was no one behind me.......It was a nice long curve that u can take around 80mph

i agree ......if u look at the guardrail , it dented and banged up all over the place ...including other bike parts.

...glad your friend is ok!! the bike can always be fixed or replaced... and experience can be gained
smile.gif

Could have been really bead, I mean deadly. He was definitely in the hands of Angles going around that corner with no gear on but a helmet.
wow.gif

SORRY ABOUT YOUR BUDDY. FORTUNATELY, HE IS ALRIGHT, THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Sorry to hear the bike is totalled, but good to hear he doesn't have any injuries.

Personally though, I wouldn't blame the newbie who braked and kept it on two wheels. You have to ride a safe distance behind the rider in front of you, and if he's a newbie, you give him even more room. You pick who you ride behind...

Sorry to hear the bike is totalled, but good to hear he doesn't have any injuries.

Personally though, I wouldn't blame the newbie who braked and kept it on two wheels.  You have to ride a safe distance behind the rider in front of you, and if he's a newbie, you give him even more room.  You pick who you ride behind...
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Glad your buddy is ok. Inexperience or not, sometimes a curve can scare the heck out of a guy. About 2 months ago I was going through an area called the Lowry Tunnel, it a very long Left hand sweeper / decreasing radius turn. You enter the tunnel going down a hill, the road goes from freeway blacktop to concrete in the tunnel, no daylight in the tunnel, and the turn lasts about 20 seconds / give or take.

Anyhow, I was entering the turn at about 80 mph, and leaned over pretty hard. I misjudged the apex, and the turn kept getting tighter on me, and found the concrete a tad slippery, and also seeing slick spots in the tunnel. Believe me - I wanted to stand the bike up and get out of it - was pretty scared the tires wernt gonna hold, but I kept telling myself to "Stick it" and keep applying countersteering & not brake or stand the bike up. By the time I exited the tunnel I was doing about 100 and havent wore that pair of boxer's since that day. Lesson learned, was this - stay in the turn, dont apply brakes, dont stand the bike up, and be confident that countersteering works. If I would have backed out of the turn, Im sure I would have had some bad consequences. The turn brought up my confidence level in the bike and my skills, but there was a fear factor there that I havent encountered for some time.

It's funny how fear makes you do something completley different than you know you should do. My body & mind were telling me -Stop this thing Now!!!, but I was lucky enough to have a moment of grace and regroup my thoughts and stay in the turn - no matter how scared I was. So I agree that new riders should not over ride their abiltiy, and I admitt Im no 50 year vet of riding, but have many years of experience & found myself wanting to do what I knew I shouldnt do. Maybe the difference in experience is that I stayed with the turn and didnt stand the bike up.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127169362 -->

Wow. Gotta be careful, man.

Jim (Stkr00) and I were just talking about this the other night. Man, riding beyond on your capabilities is not only a danger to yourself, but to the others you're riding with.

Glad your bud's okay.

Now there is contreversy among our group
mad.gif
The guy that went down wants the first guy to pay for the damages because he claims " I went down to avoid you" .

My thoughts are thats bulls%$t!
1. He should of left himself room for a buffer zone
2. we werent on a track.
3. we were all speeding
4. how can you blame the other guy because he is a rookie to slow down to feel safe. he was riding in his ability.

I admit when the guy ahead of me did the same thing i was swearing not because i caught up to him quicky ..but for his own safety, but i left myself alot of room between the 2 bikes.

Back