Race bikes on TV

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I know I'll probably get roasted for asking this, but I'll do it anyway.

Why do riders stick their knee down sometimes touching the ground other times almost. Are they trying to get a sense of how far over they are or does touching the ground with a padded knee have some effect?

The position is so contorted it almost looks painful, at least to an old guy like me.

I've heard them say that they will actually use their knee to hold themselves up at times. I think it was Greg White saying that if they feel the back end slipping a little they can press down with their knee to help stay up.

They have to lean that far to be able to turn going 125 or 150mph or whatever they are doing when they hit the turn.

Here is a perfect example of where someone who loves motorcycling, but may not ride your brand, can offer value.

Read Lee Parks' Total Control and it'll explain it a lot better than I can.  Short version, you're lowering your center of gravity, keeping the bike more upright through the turn.  Busa riders in particular should be skilled here, because you don't have the insane lean angles a Ducatti or R1 has and you can still spank the living hell outta those guys 9 times out of 10 if you properly position your body through a turn.

it's just cool brotha!

HAHA... no.. ok.. the "technical" answer you get from most professional riders is that putting the knee down is a byproduct of shifting your weight off the bike as far as possible to decrease the amount you have to lean the bike... Moving your weight off the bike increases the bikes clearance because you don't have to lean the bike to go as fast if you've moved the weight as low, and as far inside as possible... so then you can lean the bike a bit more.. and oops.... your knee starts dragging.

If I stay "in the saddle" so to speak without shifting my weight I routinely drag the brake lever/peg.. especially on the right side.. while if I shift my weight I can carry the same speed... but still have plenty of clearance before the hard parts start touching... which is very important on a bike like the busa because it sits low to begin with.

plus it does give you some idea of how far you are leaning in..

Thanks. I kinda thought that, but didn't know it could have an effect when the rear started to get a little loose. I'll be riding my Bus a long time before I try getting that aggressive.
Getting my knee out that far: Probably not physically possible anymore.

I've been in the HD crowd for years and just recently jumped ships and bought a Bus. Totally new and fun experience--challenging for a change.

pure_ego , I think I actually follow you. I've scraped rubber off of Sporster pegs, and you are saying that if I were off to the side of the lean, I could leave the bike more upright and spare the parts.

My Bus will lean a good deal farther, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm slowly pushing it harder and harder and getting some of that adrenalin I used to get.

Thanks to everyone.

I have nothing to add to what others said already, but being "shy" as I am wanted to post a picture from one of the track days.  
biggrin.gif

Click Here
__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

Thanks. I kinda thought that, but didn't know it could have an effect when the rear started to get a little loose. I'll be riding my Bus a long time before I try getting that aggressive.
Getting my knee out that far: Probably not physically possible anymore.

I've been in the HD crowd for years and just recently jumped ships and bought a Bus. Totally new and fun experience--challenging for a change.
I thought the same way, I'm not getting out over the bike for some time. NOPE!! I have had the Busa for a little over a year and getting out over the bike in a turn is.... A RUSH!!!
Lift body with legs off seat, move butt over to side of the seat, move up over the tank, stick knee out, start the turn, bring knee in so as not to drag the ground, and feel the pebbles bounce up and hit your shoulder. (just kidding, but you can see the space between the pavement stones, if you look. I don't)
I may be imagining things, but when you get up and over the tank and out off the bike, it feels perfectly balanced. Actually, there was this one time I was in a beautiful twist when another rider came the other way. I was deep into the turn and lifted my left hand off the bars and waved, didn't realize what I did til a buddy behind me was talking about how crazy I was for letting go in a turn. I got to tell ya, it just felt perfectly balanced.

Actually, there was this one time I was in a beautiful twist when another rider came the other way. I was deep into the turn and lifted my left hand off the bars and waved, didn't realize what I did til a buddy behind me was talking about how crazy I was for letting go in a turn. I got to tell ya, it just felt perfectly balanced.
I done that the other day to a popo. I was hittin' about 75 in a 45 in a nice corner all leaned over when he popped around the corner from the other direction.
eek2.gif
I let go and waved to him with my left hand. He was on brakes but once I waved he let off the brakes and never turned around. I actually slowed to a crawl to see if he was coming back, but he never did... Whew!

What other have said. Lower center of gravity, wind braking with your knee to help turn in, same corner, same speed with less lean angle, being closer to the pavement actually feels safer. The last one doesn't make sense but it is true.
smile.gif

Actually, there was this one time I was in a beautiful twist when another rider came the other way. I was deep into the turn and lifted my left hand off the bars and waved, didn't realize what I did til a buddy behind me was talking about how crazy I was for letting go in a turn. I got to tell ya, it just felt perfectly balanced.
I done that the other day to a popo. I was hittin' about 75 in a 45 in a nice corner all leaned over when he popped around the corner from the other direction.
eek2.gif
I let go and waved to him with my left hand. He was on brakes but once I waved he let off the brakes and never turned around. I actually slowed to a crawl to see if he was coming back, but he never did... Whew!
Bad Chris!!! Bad!!
poke.gif

How I wish I could get my knee down
blush.gif
It is a mental thing.  Go totally zen and it'll happen much easier than if you think about it.  Here are the mechanics:

The position of your outside arm and outside leg are very important - they set you up for the turn.
As is your spine
The position of your butt is too.
<ul>
[*]First, align your spine with the center of the bike (so you're starting from the right spot), now, move your spine (start with your head) to the inside of the centerline (if your turning left, move your spine inside to the left)
[*]As you move your spine, your outside arm should relax and your forearm can lay on the tank
[*]Your outside leg, make sure your setting on the balls of your feet, pull your outside leg in and up so that the seat is sitting right behind your knee
[*]Lay your belly on the tank
[*]Pull your inside foot in so that you don't drag your shoes
[*]Put 1/2 of your butt ON the seat and the other half kinda hanging off
[*]At that point, you don't have to try to put the knee down, the knee will touch (or not) as you go through the turn (don't try this in bluejeans . . )
[/list]

Either way, you will have moved your CG lower and to the inside of the turn and your bike can go faster THROUGH the turn with less stress on the tires than it would if you were perched on top of the bike in 'standard seating' position.

The same turn, at the same speed, is actually safer if you have moved your weight lower and to the inside of the turn.  This does NOT mean dragging a knee - just that being a dynamic part of the experience instead of statically sitting on top of the bike puts less demand on the tires, the suspension, etc.  I know it sounds weird, but the lower and deeper you get your body in a turn the less the bike has to lean, the less lean, generally the more stable.

By shifting your weight off the bike it allows the bike to sit up straighter in the turn and gives you a better contact patch on the tire and the knee down is more of a guage of your lean angle..Thats what I use it for anyway. when it touches down I know I dont want to lean much farther.

<!--EDIT|porkyb
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122031226 -->

Find a local trackday to learn or practice getting the knee down. Good luck out there boys and girls.

Back