Leaning the bike...

Leaning off the bike is like everything else. You feel like you are way off but really you are barely off. Be sure to move your entire upper body, don't just slide you but off and sit straight up. Try to look through your mirror.

Leaning off the bike is like everything else.  You feel like you are way off but really you are barely off.  Be sure to move your entire upper body, don't just slide you but off and sit straight up.  Try to look through your mirror.
Yup what he said. I tend to lead with my Chin...Point the beard where I want to go...

To get a feel for shifting you weight around I really recommend doing it in a straight line, somewhere hidden from public view with a lot of clean road. You can really learn a lot once you have no cars and no distractions....

here is my favorite kind of chicken strip................ :devil:

IM000261.JPG

I've know of someone that learned the art of leaning once he made it to a track...it's something I'd love to do one day...

Sign up for a beginner's class on a road course...they're usually over a weekend...you learn tons about leaning in the corners, gradually learn your comfort zone when it comes to leaning your own bike...bet you'd come back with very little chicken strips!

:D

Make sure your tires are HOT before you start yankin and bankin....
Make sure you have proper tire pressure too. Lots of speed helps compress that tire to use up the edges...not safe of the road!!!

Just for clarification, I have no intentions of trying to purposefully ride in any unsafe manner just to eliminate the chicken strips. I just want to learn to be a better rider. The chicken strips were simply the only measuring stick I had since I can't watch myself ride and corner. I see now that the strips are not the best way to judge whether or not I'm cornering properly.

If any of you have the October 2003 issue of Sport Rider, see the Benchracing article titled "Degrees Of Control" (Page 102) to see my goal as a rider. I don't care about how fast I have been, nor how wide my chicken strips are. I'm looking for smooth control. I know that it'll likely take at least 5 years to get where I want to be. Probably much longer... if I ever even get there.

I'm in no hurry to push the envelope on my busa. I have continuously learned new things since I got 'er and as long as the learning process continues, I don't care how long it takes.

Thanks again for all the tips. I assure you all that I won't take all your tips out and try them right away like I did with clutchless shifting. I know a lot of this stuff requires a much slower and more deliberate approach and can have far more serious consequences should I push it too far and blow it.

Keep the tips coming. I'm absorbing it all for future use. :D

Keep your eyes focused on where you want to come out of the turn, DO NOT fixate on anything and remember to not look down! I have a couple of roads around me that if you take even 10 mph over the speed limit you can get them strips just about gone! If you go faster than that you start to worry about the tires slipping out from under you. The first time I rode on any of these I was going about 10 mph below the limit just to learn the road. Takes time and effort, as long as you have those plus patience you will get there eventually

Just about the only Busa's we'd see at the shop with no strips were wrecks. :0
Of course just about the only ones wrecked had very very low miles.

Alright, I'll probably open a HUGE can of worms but I'll make this comment:

I would not even consider hanging off on the steet. First off, the cops just LOVE to see that. Might as well ask them for a nice picture while they write you the ticket. You can go just about as fast without it and it doesn't "look" like your going nearly as fast. Same thing with the racerboy tuck in.

Secondly, I'd rather have that hang-off in reserve in case I blow the corner and need more lean. If you're already at full lean and hanging off, what do you do if you need to turn more? Guardrails don't taste good.

Also, if something happens while hanging off like an animal jumping in front of you, it's a lot harder to get the bike up quickly to brake. You'll get the bike out of balance more easily. Even watch the pro's and the tough time they have when they have to change up quick. It's easier and safer for them on the track since there are way less surprises.

I have about 3/4" "Chicken strips" ,but I would rather call them "Insurance Policy" strips. Don't be intimidated by others that feather the edges and brag about it. Anyone can do that but eventually YOU LOOSE. So far, I've ridden for 17 years and never fallen. I would like to think the "Chicken Strips" are a big part of that.

If you really want to lean it over....Hit the Track.

O.K. guys, fire away.

Johncal

joncal:
Secondly, I'd rather have that hang-off in reserve in case I blow the corner and need more lean. If you're already at full lean and hanging off, what do you do if you need to turn more? Guardrails don't taste good.

wouldn't you upset the chassis more by trying to lean over once the bike is already leaned? Other than that I do agree with you

You guys knew I couldn't let this one go...

Lean it dude!!!
It's got a lot more to go!

BTW, I never hang off. Have not scraped hard parts yet, so no need to.

joncal:

wouldn't you upset the chassis more by trying to lean over once the bike is already leaned?  Other than that I do agree with you
Yes, It's true you canl upset the bike a little bit by trying to hang off if already leaned, however, you'd only be doing that because you were already in trouble and at that point you're not going to make it much worse. Let me also try give you a little of my pea brained logic here.

1. If you are not normally leaning off, that means you are already cornering more slowly than the leaner. That also means that you have a safety margin the "hang off" leaner does NOT have.

2. If you are going a little slower, hanging off at that point is less upsetting to the bike than you might think.

Please keep in mind, I ALWAYS lean with the bike, and generally set my head and upper body over the mirror in the direction I am turning.

Generally, I like to practice for all sorts of contingencies. One of those things is going through turns on empty back roads and scootching my butt over to see how the bike reacts when I'm already in a turn. You will find that as you move over, you will straighten the bike up at the same time to retain the same turn radius.

I strongly recommend to all that they purchase the book "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. It is full of great advice from a pro. I've read ALL of the Keith Code books and found them very valuable, but I must say Nick's book is MUCH more geared to the street rider. It's a must have. Safety is really the theme of this book. Nick really gets into proper body position for street and track riders and the logic for the different approaches.

Johncal

Hey, after reading all the threads it got me thinking. Does tire pressure affect the size of strips? When I've ridden behind people with noticeably low tire pressures they seem to have a pretty big contact patch leading out to tires edge, even when we are doing moderate speeds.
Just wondering...

Hey, after reading all the threads it got me thinking.  Does tire pressure affect the size of strips?  When I've ridden behind people with noticeably low tire pressures they seem to have a pretty big contact patch leading out to tires edge, even when we are doing moderate speeds.
Just wondering...
Yes, tire pressure will definitely affect the size of the strips. Nice powers of observation.

Personally, I like to run 36 LBS. on the Busa. I find that while the tire life is slightly less, the bike handles bumps and irregularities in the road better, has a larger contact patch, warms up more quickly and is much less skitish than when it is inflated to 42.

I had read about tire tests done and found that to get the best performance, a lot of the tire companies were recommending those types of pressures. The tire testers said the lower pressures worked very well on the track. I tried it, and I loved it. I later went back to a higher pressure just to check it out, and found that it kind of well...sucked. I went back to the 36 LBS and that's where it's staying. Check it out. Let me know how you like it.

Johncal.

I'm running 36 pso on my Dunslips just cuz they suck and need all the help they can get. Feels mooshy to me though :)

Back