So you want to get your knee down, eh?

Beautiful shots Charles. Getting a busa that low shows great control and mastery of the bike.:thumbsup::thumbsup::bowdown:
displayimage.php

Rumble.

Really is about the best body position I have seen on the busa shots yet.. (the other from behind is equally impressive)

takes a lot of effort and work to get positioned like this... sure looks easy in the photo however... :bowdown:

I want to go track day with this group... probably some good schooling to be had :)

if you ride on the balls of your feet you should be ok.. Running with the foot peg in or near the arch of your foot is not a good idea usually..

if you are hitting your feet on the street, the last laugh might be on you... broken feet hurt like hell... could hook your foot and brother I did that on a dirt bike once... That was 25 years ago and it still bothers me..

so center of ball of foot on peg all way up against the guard right?

It's certainly more tiring than smaller bikes, but it can be done on a Busa......... :beerchug:

KNEE.jpg

Much easier on this......... :whistle:

JenningsGPprophotos004.jpg

And this....

TARDJGP-1.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

i don't have any really good pics from he outside shot, but i will tell you that i am a "ball of the foot" rider when i'm out on the track or doing aggressive street riding....

jenningsgpprophotos013.jpg

i went out to bike to get a better feel i think my position is good...i can let off da bars and use my leg to hold me up but my foot i still dont think is positioned right...so ball of foot in middle and rest heel on guard right?

I don't have any really good pics from he outside shot, but I will tell you that I am a "Ball of the foot" rider when I'm out on the track or doing aggressive street riding....

JenningsGPprophotos013.jpg

If you don't mind me giving you a couple of pointers?

Your foot seems to be just a little to far back judging from the position of the toe slider. More importantly, you have your foot all the way against the heal guard. Your foot should be positioned with the tip of the footpeg centered in the middle of the ball on your foot. You can't tip your knee out propperly with your foot flat on the peg. Having the ball of the foot centered over the tip of the peg allows your foot to rotate to the outside when you hang your knee out.

Another adjustment you could do is get your upper body off the bike. You are still centered over the tank with your chest and head. We call this "Tank Racing". Your outside elbow should be almost, if not over the filler cap on the tank and your chin should be all the way over almost kissing your inside glove.

Work on those two and you'll see a dramatic improvement in your lap times! :beerchug:

i went out to bike to get a better feel i think my position is good...i can let off da bars and use my leg to hold me up but my foot i still dont think is positioned right...so ball of foot in middle and rest heel on guard right?

Not saying it's "text book", but that is what works for me....

I can transition from left-to-right very easy this way.....

If you don't mind me giving you a couple of pointers?

Your foot seems to be just a little to far back judging from the position of the toe slider. More importantly, you have your foot all the way against the heal guard. Your foot should be positioned with the tip of the footpeg centered in the middle of the ball on your foot. You can't tip your knee out propperly with your foot flat on the peg. Having the ball of the foot centered over the tip of the peg allows your foot to rotate to the outside when you hang your knee out.

Another adjustment you could do is get your upper body off the bike. You are still centered over the tank with your chest and head. We call this "Tank Racing". Your outside elbow should be almost, if not over the filler cap on the tank and your chin should be all the way over almost kissing your inside glove.

Work on those two and you'll see a dramatic improvement in your lap times! :beerchug:

Thanks... I'm always open to pointers....

Only thing I will mention is that these pics are almost 3 years old, and the riding position (and bike) has changes dramatically....

I no longer ride big bikes on the track.... I got bit by the supermoto bug a couple of years back.....

Riding style is way different for those.... :beerchug:

Hi,

I registered here because I have a few questions regarding kneedowning.
I've been able to get my knee down repeatedly but it still doesn't feel natural.

Here goes

1) Many people (including the 1st post here) talk about using your outside leg to hold yourself on the bike. However when i'm kneedowning I can feel pressure on my inside leg rather than my outside leg. I ride a naked-bike so my shankbone is a lot more verticle than on a sportsbike.. Therefore when hanging i cannot get the weight off my inside leg.

Is this normal for non-sports bikes? Any tips? Remarks?

2) Secondly many people have told me to put my outside foot with the arch on the peg, and the inside foot with the ball on the peg. This works fine, however I cannot do a fast left-right like this because it requires me to switch both feet from arch/ball when I do a left-right..

Tips?

thanks!

WeePee, The Busa is a big bike with a lot of mass, so maybe this answer varies per bike. I like to be on the ball of my foot on the tip of the peg with both feet.

Possibly, the more you do it, the more natural it feels. So that's just mileage, time, and practice. Took me about a year & 10,000 miles of twisties before really felt second nature. In the beginning it was just a kiss to the pavement and that was enough. Now it's more drag all the way through the corner on the right type of pavement and sweeper.

The pressure on the inside leg would seem perfectly normal if you practice weighting the pegs. When you're in the midst of a sweeping corner (even without knee-down), practice pushing down on the peg with either foot and see what happens!

Hi, thanks for your reply!
Pushing down on both pegs? I always push down on the outer peg, to push the bike more upwards thus hanging off more..
This is also the reason why I prefer to have my outer peg covered by the arch of my foot - this way i can push down harder...

WeePee,

You should have almost all of your weight on the inside peg. Use your outside leg to keep you from falling to the inside of the bike too much. If you are doing it right your thighs will burn until they are used to it.

I've been riding for years and years as of yet the only dmage to the pucks was from when I took a tumble after the deer hit me :(

I'm still leaning and listening ... :whistle: Thanks for the write up :thumbsup:

Great thread, probably my favorite so far ! I don't know how I missed it ?

Thought I'd bring it back around in case I wasn't the only one that wants to learn, and missed it.

Boy Howdy, looks like lots of folks have gained some ground on the infamous Knee draggin business!

It's that time of year again when most of us in the nothern hemisphere have pretty much put the bike away for the winter. However, it is a time to reminisce about the warm days of summer, smell of leather and burned rubber as well as dream about the coming days of spring and how we intend to get that knee puck all scraped up.

This love we all share for two wheels is something to marvel at, eh?

If anyone who worked on their knee dragging ability and has questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to give you a hand.

Ive been riding for about a year now and am trying to improve my body positioning. I ride a 2010 ninja 250 and am hoping to max out the limits of my bike so i can get a bigger bike and not have to park it in the corners of a track :)

attached is a pic of me hanging off my bike as i enter a turn, was wondering what i could improve body position-wise. I noticed my foot position is beyond horrible, and definitely needs improvement. Other than that I was wondering what i could work on!

motorcycle.jpg

Back