Thoughts on used helmets

bigjohn141

Donating Member
Registered
So with all this helmet talk I figured I would get everyone's opinion on buying used helmets. I am seriously considering a Bell Star Carbon and they can be found for considerably less money in slightly used condition. I know if there are any major dings, dents, or scratches to stay away because the helmets effectiveness is probably compromised and if its very old then the internal padding is probably gone. What about those helmets that are less than a year old and in like new condition, would you go for it or just save a little longer and get a brand new one? I can understand not wanting to stick something on your head that someone else has worn for a while but at the same time most liners can be fully removed and washed now days.

A used helmet is better than NO helmet. Some guys get them, wear them a few times and don't like them or just like to change frequently. Those are probably no worse for wear, but ones that have been worn numerous times are probably good to stay away from.

I bought one of my helmets used. I have full confidence in it, just the same as my other helmet that I bought new.

The critical component of a helmet is the styrofoam inner shell. It's designed to be compressed one time. If it's never been crashed, and if it's less than 5 years old (industry standard for "obsolete") then it'll work just fine.

Actually, all of us wear used helmets. I have 2 and they have both been "used" for a few years. I wouldn't buy one that had been used extensively. It would have to be very clean and unmarked.

One of my very first helmets was purchased used on ebay. I still have it. I and like most will tell you to go new if possible.

if a helmet is a year or so old and not dropped I dont see why it couldnt be used safely. the foam doesnt begin to break down for prob 5-7 years unless someone stored it in their garage where it was really hot. but even then after a year id be doubtful it wound not be still effective.

I have thought of a doin the same since I would like a Arai to go with my Bell Star. but yea the padding for most all of these high end helmets is replaceable. I not a big fan of sticking my head in someones elses sweaty helmet so a new liner would be absolute.

but then again for the few extra hundred dollars you save im not sure if its really worth it. the main reason ur purchasing a high end helmet is high end protection. it wud suck to crash in a $600-1000 helmet and not work the way it shud.

the main reason ur purchasing a high end helmet is high end protection. it wud suck to crash in a $600-1000 helmet and not work the way it shud.

Not to get off topic... but the most expensive helmets are not better at protecting than the more affordable helmets. The $600 to $1000 helmets are priced that way because of graphics and ventilation. Mostly graphics. The $400 Arai is just as protective as the $800 Arai.

Look at it this way.

I buy a new helmet and wear it 10 times. It's used. I put it on the shelf. It's still got 5 good years left in it.

Another guy buys the same helmet and wears it 10 times. It's used. He put's it on the shelf. It's still got 5 good years left in it. He puts is up for sale.

One helmet is not any less protective than the other.

The only issue here as a buyer is to be sure that the helmet has not been crashed. That should be easy to determine. For the styrofoam to be compressed, a head has to be inside the helmet. In other words, you can't compress the foam by dropping or otherwise abusing the helmet.

For me, it would come down to whether or not there were sweat stains in the helmet. I might just look at the guy and make my decision on how clean he looked. It should be apparent how much the helmet had actually been worn. I would want it to still smell new.

The last thing I would want is head lice... or cooties :laugh:

I would not be against it if it were treated properly by the previous owner. I bought a Shoei RF-900 a few years ago that was not being made anymore to match my bike. It was in near mint condition and I got a great deal on it.

A helmet can be compromised with out showing any exterior signs. Better off with a new helmet since any defect in a used lid will show it self on impact with your head inside it. jmo though

I think I am going to give it a shot. I found a Bell Star Carbon Matte like I want, 3-4 months old withoutt a scratch for $515 shipped and the transitions shield included. I am taking a chance on the sizing from what I have read, I wear a XL RF-1000 and it's a little loose on my head after being broke in and this helmet is a Large. Everything I have read says the Bell Star line runs a little big so I have my fingers crossed. I have already looked and a new liner is $20 if needed and thinner cheek pads if it too snug are also $20.

I was told no since the padding molds to the riders head and everyones head is difefrent so the fit and form will be off.I guess its better than no helmet but why risk your life.

Some guys buy brand new helmets and they don't fit, lost the receipt, or sold the bike and stuck with a fairly new helmet. If I can get a high end helmet 4 mid to low level price Y not? Some people don't wear helmets at all so I gotta believe a weekend warriors slightly used helmet is better than a ball cap or the helmet you've been riding with 4 the past 8years:whistle:

Well scratch that. I talked the guy down to the $515 shipped and then he came back and said shipping might be as high as $45. That is just too close to the price of a new one by the time I order a new liner and pads so I will just wait another week or two and order a new one, plus if it doesn't fit I can return it for the right size.

Back