Question for pdbusa or any other cops

Running from the cops is never a good idea unless you've just robbed a suppermarket. Risking a felony for the sake of evading a traffic fine is about as dumb as it gets. Once you run, you best not get caught because you will get a free trip to jail, bike impounded, spend $10K on attorney fees, never get to vote or own firearms again. Even worse than that, if an officer kills himself during the pursuit then you get a nice manslaughter charge against you and you'll get to spend some serious time in the big house where seasoned inmates love tender little boys who run from the cops! My suggestion is to weigh the consequinces before twisting the throttle.

And above all, if you do get caught, keep your mouth shut and your attorney will have a much easier time defending you. And if you think the arresting officer is going to be perfectly honest in his report, think again, some may be but most are not. They will always write up what you say as well as your actions in such a way as to build their case against you. Their report will usually sound something like they have succeeded in apprehending Jack the Ripper.

Rules to remember if you get into trouble, don't run, be courteous, remember the only requirement is to identify yourself, never engage in conversation and the best answer to all questions is "I don't know"!

You will have the opportunity to tell your story in court. If you say anything to the officer, it WILL be used against you in court.

... best answer to all questions is "I don't know"!
I agree with everything except this statement. This can be interpreted as you not paying attention while driving. In some juristictions, they will tack on an additional fine for failure to give due attention to driving. Best just to keep your mouth shut.

Im an offifcer in Montgomery County Ohio and as far as chasing a bike for just speed, well it aint gonna happen. both the county and city of Daytons policy on chases is just for violent felony,nothing else. but if they dont call it in then.....well you get the picture. This does not include the state patrol however. They will chase you untill hell freezes over for anything so beware. And just be aware that if you do get caught, it is really gonna cost you alot. It may even go from a ticket to jail,a tow, and criminal charges. But for me I wouldn't take the car out of park....lol

Back