Question bout my height and weight on a busa

jvue

Registered
I am 5'4 and weight about 135 lbs and I was wondering what my advantages/disadvantages are with the busa. Or is it even possible for me to ride on the busa???

Even if I can fit on there, could I ever get use to the bike and feel comfortable? Or am I always going to struggle with the weight and size during maneuvers? I mean I'm in good physical condition(lift weights, run, etc) so I need to know what I can expect if I buy it.

By the way, I'm starting to get into bikes too so I'm really unexperienced, but I don't want to get a cheap beater bike now and the busa later (waste of $$), if anything I want the busa now. Anyone's thoughts and opinions that can help me think this out?

Oh, one more thing, I've actually sat on it before(at the dealer) and my toes can touch the ground, this is with the original configuration for the seat height, the salesguy told me I can still lower it 1 and a half inches.

thanks
-Jason

Well, you're probably not going to want my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend the Busa for a first bike.

You say that getting a beater now and something else later is a waste of money, but getting the Busa first could be a waste of something alot more important.

Like anyone on here will tell you, only you can decide whether or not you are ready for a Busa. But it isn't the bike for someone with no experience. To make you feel better, I rode a 600 for 1 year, put 6000 miles on her, and then bought the Busa, and I feel very comfortable on it. If I had started with the Busa, it would not have been that good of a story. You just make alot of mistakes when learning, little things that can bite you on a bike with 150hp. I only spent a year on the 600, but it was a year full of learning.

As far as size, you are probably ok, its a question of whether you feel comfortable with the weight. The busa actually handles quite light in turns for its weight, but at higher speed a lane change does take a bit of push.

Just my opinions. If you do get a busa, BE CAREFUL. This thing is insane, and I haven't gone 100% throttle. It can bite ya in the ass before you know you've been bit.

When you guys refer to making mistakes on the road.... what kind of mistakes do you specifically mean? (falling off bike? falling on turns? stalling? mis-shifting?, etc??)

I guess this is helpful to know so maybe I can expect some of these mistakes too.... with or without the busa... hopefully without.

thanks!

-Jason

I don't know about others, but some of the mistakes I made on the road were -

Going into a corner too fast. My first 600 was very forgiving if I had to change a line mid corner.

In the early months I would over/under turn, so midway through the corner I'd have to adjust.

Some misshifting, but not much.

One of the most important errors, esp when it comes to considering a 'busa or similar, is I'd roll on the throttle a little too much in the corner. With my heavy, underpowered 600, it was no big deal, just went a little faster. With a high power/torquey bike, it could mean slippin' the back wheel.

My wife had some problems when she started she'd goose the throttle a little too much. She had a 250, but it was a twin (very torquey for what it was) and it'll upset the line of your turn pretty quick. With a busa's power, alot worse than that could happen.

Things like that...

I too started out on a CBR 600.  I rode it for about two years and put over thirty thousand miles on it.  Almost all highway.  I was what I thought was comfortable and wanted a new one.  So I bought the Busa.  I got it in Nov. and hit a tree in March.  
 Here are the mistakes I made in just one night.  
 Mistake 1:  Went riding with friends that had been on bikes a lot longer than me.  ( Not necessarily a bad thing if everyone knows how everyone else rides. Take it slow the first time out as you will see why below)
 Mistake 2:  I followed them down the road (at night) that they take every night and I have only taken maybe once or twice.
 Mistake 3:  After falling behind in the first two corners I used the power of the Busa to catch them in the straight away.  Which I did right at the enterance to the third corner that I didn't know exsisted.
 Mistake 4:  I PANICKED!!!!!!!  I only used the rear brake and locked it up.  I started to skid and the bike started to come out from under me.  So I just got off of the brakes and held on for the ride.  I missed the guard rail but not the tree.  
 A bad habit I had was only using the rear brake.  So when I had to slow down fast I couldn't.  I now use the front brake also.  My comfort level was high but it was for only going straight so I found out the hard way.
 Another bad habit is that I push the bike away from me in turns insted of leaning with it.  Fine if you only take wide turns but if you try tight turns you will run out of road and wind up in the dirt.  I am trying to stop doing that and lean more.
 Specific enough for you?
 My mistakes cost me (or should I say the insurance company) big.  $4600 for the bike to get fixed and over $50,000 for me.  When I hit the tree I broke my leg in four places.  lucky I guess it could have been a lot worse.  
 I missed three months of work.  I wasn't able to walk without crutches for four months.  I didn't ride for six months( should have been atleast nine but I had to do it.) And now that a year has past I have finally lost my limp but still don't have all the strength back in my leg.
2001 SUCKED!!
Femur one place
Tibia one place
fibia two places

leg6.jpg

leg5.jpg

leg4.jpg

Yep, riding in groups sucks, especially if there is any kind of pressure. If they can't be cool with letting you learn and going slow, ride alone. It's so easy to ride with less experienced riders and think they can follow you.

The first time I went down was the first time I rode with someone else. I was very lucky, though. I came over a hill with a sharp corner right after that I didn't see, panicked, target fixated trying to decide if I should go straight onto a gravel road, try to lean and of course, went in the middle, right onto a fresh patch of grass. That little bit cost me minor scratches on the left and caked mud on my bike, jeans and jacket (gear saved me from road rash).

I am on my first street bike, BTW. nearly two years later, I have learned a huge amount and now can corner like I never did before. I also take it easy on the roads like I didn't some time after I had been riding. I keep to the speed limits for the most part and really don't feel like going fast. I'm comfortable just taking it easy, whereas before I was like, "I'm on the fastest production bike... I need to see how fast this can go!"

It's that false sense of confidence that bites you in the ass. I was lucky enough to learn from others' mistakes and crap my pants enough times to back down to within my limits.

I just started riding in '00 on my R1. I learned from good people, then when I was out riding with the group for the first time I did the same thing as the guy above. I tried to keep up...BAD IDEA!. I got target fixation in one corner looking at the guy in front of me, I drove right off the rode. Fortunately I was only going 25mph with full leather...but the bike was scracthed up and dented tank. They said they would wait for me at stop signs, but my ego got the better of me. Never again, I just do my own pace. I was very comfortable on the R1 thru last year and now trading up to the Busa. I will start like training wheels all over again and spend most of the year having guys pass me...but so be it. I want to ride forever not until the next curve. I have some psycho rider guys too that cut right under me on curves but I just look ahead and IGNORE THEM follow your own line thru the curve.

OUCH!!!! been there...  thanks for that that reminder
11doh.gif
I too need help.  Everyone in my family has bikes and say...that if you can ride one you can ride them all.  I don't belive that philosophy.  I am 5'11 ...275 pds.  mostly muscle
muscle.gif
.   I want to start riding with my family.  Of course they all have way more experience than I do.  I have taken the Motorcycle Safety Course and I have my license.  However, I took the course in 98 and haven't been on a bike since.  I just talked my wife into the idea...so the bike I get will probably be my last for a while.  I plan to extend the bike  6-8 inches, lower it,  and chrome it  out.  The only other time on a bike was a Hurricane 600 and I went (prior to safety course) down and skinned up my arm.  What would be a good bike for me?  Iam not going to start on a Busa...like I thought I was until I read the posts... But I don't want to get anything too small that I will be stuck with (I'm getting the when are we going to have kids speach).  Plus, from what I hear...if I extend the bike...it will be less likely to come off the ground...Somebody give me some help?<ul>
[*]
[/list]

Back