Passenger Weight????

wingman1100

Registered
Hi guys,
I've had my 2000 Busa for a week now and since it didn't come with an owners manual I need to know if there is a weight restriction for the pillion.
The only reason I'm asking is that I read another thread on the forum regarding cracks on the sub frame and I'm curious if Suzuki has put an upper limit for passenger weight. No large people just the wife and my son want to ride once in a while. The most weight would be around 130 LBS, my 13 year old is as tall as I am!!!

Thanks for the info.

I've sat on my 01 rear seat and take my mom for rides all the time.
beerchug.gif

the 1999 and 2000 have an aluminum subframe and and they will crack very easily,but the 2001 and up are steel, if i was going to ride someone at all i wouldn't take the chance. i would swapout the subframe for a steel one you can sell the aluminum sub for $100.00 to $150.00 and buy the steel for a little less than that and it's not hard to change at all. and if your just riding on the road and not trying to save weight it wont matter anyway!! good luck with your choice and be safe.

(busa crazy @ Jun. 03 2007,17:32) the 1999 and 2000 have an aluminum subframe and and they will crack very easily,but the 2001 and up are steel, if i was going to ride someone at all i wouldn't take the chance. i would swapout the subframe for a steel one you can sell the aluminum sub for $100.00 to $150.00 and buy the steel for a little less than that and it's not hard to change at all. and if your just riding on the road and not trying to save weight it wont matter anyway!!  good luck with your choice and be safe.
+1. Total weight for the aluminum subframe is under 450 lbs. 2 up avery now and again shouldn't be an issue, but if you are riding 2 up allot, I'd swap it out for a steel one if it hasn't already been by the previous owner. The racers will buy the aluminum subframe.

Yep swap it out, then you can load it up. My old busa saw 500 lbs often, and never gave a problem whatsoever.
all_coholic.gif

The stock exhaust header works as a support for the earlier models.That's why it's so heavy.Does it have stock or aftermarket exhaust header.I read "somewhere"the cracks occured after an exhaust change[per suzuki].Suzuki blamed the crack on the removeal of the stock header,cause it was a support.Suzuki had to beef it up cause most people change systems anyway.I would go with a steel subframe for darn sure if the exhaust has been swapped.

Back