Question about Galfer ss brake lines

drlucian

Registered
I just received the front and rear kits from hardracing. They have them on sale at a great price (119 + shipping)

The Galfers are "not street legal" and for "off-road use only"

Can this ever become an issue with regards to insurance or warranty

The Galfer instructions also say that the Galfer warranty is void unless the lines are installed by a certified mechanic.

I'm not changing the pads, my bike only has 800 miles. I have done brake line changes on other bikes; it was a PITA but doable. Should I expect any unusual difficulties on the BUSA. Should I have a dealer's mechanic do it for me?
I'd rather not take a chance with those guys if I can do it myself.

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098227667 -->

Mannn if you were in the area, I'd have them done in 10 minutes.... The warrenty stuff I have no clue how they can enforce such a thing. They may have put that on there to avoid any liability. Just make sure you have proper clearences and you bleed them throughly. I recommend the HH pads with that, unless you need perfect silence while breaking. They sound like a band saw cutting through wood, but the improvement is really impressive.
PJ

Ditto on what UUBusa said. All of the disclaimers is how the corporate attorneys earn their keep. Installation is no big deal. The biggest hassle is bleeding the air our of the system after doing the line swap. If you have a Myti-Vac, it's a snap. If not, the old manual method will work.

I also concur with UUBusa that EBC HH pads are a wonderful complement to the Galfer lines on the front (tremendous initial bite). Personally, I wouldn't waste money replacing pads on the rear, since weight shift to the front under heavy braking negates any genuine rear brake pad swap-out benefits.

Good luck!

Installed the Galfer ss front lines over the weekend. Big improvement, almost too grabby. Stock brakes weren't bad to start with. Stock front lines have odd routing, lines go from MC to right caliper which has double banjo, then second line leaves right caliper, is clipped to outside of trailing edge of fender around to left caliper.
I'll do the rears later. Better pads are a good idea but I'll wait until the stock pads need replacement.

My galfer ss were one of the best mods i did and no one has ever asked me about warranty issues ... just do it... good stuff baby!

..yep, and I am waiting for mine to arrive.. ..also matched with EBC pads..

NO MORE ANCHOR-THROWING / SHOE-BRAKING FOR THIS DUDE!..
smile.gif

Have a set (Galfer lines and EBC HH pads) that I will have put on within the next week, as well. Can't wait to feel the difference!

So whats the recomendation,

the stock over the fender set up, or
the two line to the master?

Any input on this?

Something to think about on the brake line length. If you've installed handlebar risers you need to order special (longer lengths). Galfer stainless steel lines eliminated the "squissyness" experienced in the stock rubber lines. Go for it. I have a set of factory length Galfers for sale.

This is one of the next mod's I was going to do too, but I have 1 1/4 Gen Mar Risers, has anyone done this mod with risers? If so Which brake lines did you order to make up for the add length?

No such thing as a stupid question.  MC = Master Cylinder.   I installed the Galfer 2 line kit from the MC.  Works great.

<!--EDIT|BLKBLU04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110082483 -->

Agree with UUBusa...

Get some good pads also! See I changed my rear break pads to HH EBC, did not change the liner. But the braking is a drastic improvement. For the Front I have Ordered Brembo Rotors, Brembo Radial Calipers, Brembo Radial Cylinder and HEL Braided liners. I think that will do the tric formy Elenor.

But I definetly suggest EBC HH break pads with the liners! They are good....
biggrin.gif

Back