Question about dual citizenship

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
My son was born outside of the US. He became a Canadian citizen and is now living here. His status is now a permanent resident. My question is, what do we do for him to become dual citizen? My wife doesn't want to give up his Canadian citizenship. Any Immigration lawyers that you know? Thanks.

If you know of any Immigration lawyers I will appreciate it if I can get in touch with him/her. Maybe I can get my wife deported, too.:rofl::rofl::rofl: j/k

Canada recognizes dual citizenship last I checked. However, the United States does not. This is not to say that you can't be a citizen of Canada while a citizen of the U.S., but we don't recognize it in any official capacity. I knew a guy that had dual citizenship and he would travel back to Canada for medical procedures and the birth of his children...then he would come back to the U.S. to work. How's that for working the system? :whistle:

Also... http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#noway

Last edited:
Not sure what official capacity means?

If he naturalizes, the US will not ask him to give up his Canadian passport, or citizenship.

For an immigration attorney, just go online, look for one in your area where you live and interview a few, then select who you like.

Not sure what official capacity means?

If he naturalizes, the US will not ask him to give up his Canadian passport, or citizenship.

For an immigration attorney, just go online, look for one in your area where you live and interview a few, then select who you like.

Officially, one must renounce their citizenship to become a US citizen. This is what I meant by "official capacity." However, the renouncement is largely meaningless since most countries don't consider it to be realistic.

If Saiid (Blanca Busa) were here, he'd probably be a good source to answer this question. :whistle:

Just sayin' :hide:

Back