no charge in drag racing death, teen's lucky

craigntx

Registered
Tuesday, December 18

No felony charge for teen in deadly crash

By Scott E. Williams
The Daily News
Published December 15, 2007

TEXAS CITY "â€￾ A La Marque High School student will not face any felony charges in the street race that ended in death, but his legal troubles are not over.

Cristian Rico, 17, was back home with his family on Friday. U.S. immigration officials released him from their custody that morning after a grand jury late Thursday declined to indict him on a charge of racing on a highway causing serious bodily injury or death.

Blake Ingles, 16, died Nov. 28 during what police alleged was an illegal street race. The two teens both were driving separate cars and both crashed. A witness told police the two cars collided while racing along 34th Street, which was torn up for repairs at the time.

The two teens were classmates and friends.

Criminal defense attorney Roberto Torres, who represented Rico, said testimony by Ingles' family likely made the difference in the case.

"I truly think the main thing was that Blake's family did not want to see Cristian prosecuted,"￾ Torres said. "I think that went a long way."￾

However, Rico, an illegal immigrant, could still face deportation at an as-yet-unscheduled immigration hearing.

Alisha Campos, a Houston immigration attorney, said not facing a felony improved his standing, but he still faced long odds of remaining in the country.

"Ultimately, even if no criminal charges are brought, he still has to deal with the fact that he got here illegally,"￾ Campos said.

Under U.S. immigration law, Rico could receive the option to leave the country voluntarily. Unlike deportation, leaving voluntarily would not put a black mark on his record if he tried to re-enter legally, Campos said.

Still, Torres said his young client was ready to face whatever came next.

"The grand jury's decision was such a huge burden off of him, even if he does now have to deal with his illegal status,"￾ Torres said.

In the event Rico is allowed to remain in the country, prosecutors could still seek to pursue a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving.

Torres said he was working with the family to find an immigration attorney to represent Rico.

lurk.gif
This ought to be interesting.

I don't think that people that enter the USA illegally should be allowed to stay.
i agree with you, but that wasn't the point.
these kids were both engaged in a race, they both wipe out, 1 is dead. the other faced charges for something that happened to a willing participant
That is the way the law works in most states...if you are participating in an illegal activity such as drag racing, running from cops, etc. you may be held responsible for anything that occurs as a result of that activity. There was a Georgia case that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and guess who won. It looks the this issue was resolved fairly by the local courts in this case.

I feel sorry for the family of the boy that died . We all do stupid things when we are young . As for being deported why does he get the right to get an attorney ? Deport him ! and how do we get illegals from using OUR tax dollars in the school systems .

Back