puttin her on a diet

(Shibumi @ Jul. 11 2007,14:56) Somebody ping GPW, he did this with Thor for about 30 lbs +/-. Search his threads, I think he posted the component weights and savings...  

Drivetrain avoirdupois is most immediately noticeable in performance- 520 conversion w/aluminum sprockets, BST wheels, lightweight brake rotors (thinner, smaller diameter), Brembo monobloc calipers. Congratulations, you just spent SIX GRAND!!!  
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

Ohhhh, but it is SWEEEEET......  
super.gif

P.S.- Oh yeah, Greg spent $15,000 altogether...  
smile.gif
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet
crazy.gif

SHOCKED.gif

$250.00  Golds Gym membership.  Not only do you lose weight, but you gain valuable muscle and that improves your bikes handling.  
Losing personal weight IS the cheapest most adventagious way of increasing performance. Plus you look better in full leathers.  
tounge.gif

Then:
BST wheels
Full Titanium exhaust.
Carbon fiber tank.
aluminum subframe.  
Titanium nut/bolt/screw kit.

(BA BUSA @ Jul. 11 2007,17:17)
(Shibumi @ Jul. 11 2007,14:56) Somebody ping GPW, he did this with Thor for about 30 lbs +/-. Search his threads, I think he posted the component weights and savings...

Drivetrain avoirdupois is most immediately noticeable in performance- 520 conversion w/aluminum sprockets, BST wheels, lightweight brake rotors (thinner, smaller diameter), Brembo monobloc calipers. Congratulations, you just spent SIX GRAND!!!
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif

Ohhhh, but it is SWEEEEET......
super.gif

P.S.- Oh yeah, Greg spent $15,000 altogether...
smile.gif
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet
crazy.gif
What part exactly are you referring to?
rock.gif

SHOCKED.gif

(Professor @ Jul. 11 2007,14:52)
(GMbusa @ Jul. 11 2007,16:49) OR, find that little guy at the dragstrip that weighs maybe 130lbs suited and have him run your bike for you.  
firedevil.gif

I hate when i have to line up against those guys.  Here i am all 6'3 300lbs and i get to run the oompa loompa on his Busa with the same mods i have. And the guy runs an honest 1-1.2 seconds faster because of his weight!

pissed.gif
  It's times like that when i realize a competitive racer i will not be. When your atleast 50-70lbs heavier than the heavy hitter class, i say why bother.
That is the reason they make bracket E/T classes. For Old, slow, fat guys like me!
Hey Rick!! You're not slow!!!
poke.gif

Just kidd'n, don't beat me up too bad at the next race
bowdown.gif

I did a rather extensive program with my 2000 TL1000R. I ended up removing close to 40 LBS. It made a HUGE difference in the feel, acceleration and handeling of that motorcycle. And it made a HUGE difference in what I had in my wallet. If your serious, it can be time consuming and very exspensive. Tom

The "you lose the weight" suggestions are well and good, but I'm smart enough to figure that part out myself. Just asking about the bike.

I know I've written waaay back when in length on this topic.. ya may wanna do a search...

Like everyone else the biggest weight savings are gonna be you, the exhaust, and wheels. After that it's no longer a big savings unless you throw the cost factor out the window. Also it depends on the purpose.. you would't want to make the bike super light and than expect to go two-up touring on it...

Some bolts shouldn't be swapped with Ti. Al bolts are lighter so you want to keep them. Some of the steel bolts are gun drilled so their pretty light. There's only certain bolts that truly save weight by going to Ti. You can save some grams by gun drilling the Al bolts and also grinding down an 1/8" or more if possible from the threads.

All of this stuff gets pretty crazy though. Hell you should see my front fairing brace... lol

(Professor @ Jul. 11 2007,16:39)
(Ninja Eater @ Jul. 11 2007,15:58) Subframe swap (I've heard 10 lbs)  (no)
Ninja Eater,

Why no on the subframe?  

(for the record it is 7lbs)

Rick
I weighed the diff on a bathroom scale. Doubt the scale is dead on, but I got about 7# lighter. Been told 8 pound savings though.

Carbon Fiber wheels -12lbs $4000
Full Titanium Exhaust 4-1 -18lbs $1200
Aluminum rear subframe -7lbs $200

After that it's gets harder...a few oz's here and there $$$$$$$$ how much ya got to spend.

YOU can lose 30-50+ lbs for free and feel better too
super.gif

is this right figures,the exhaust especially (tsukigi?)

Back