puttin her on a diet

bitabur

Registered
I'm looking to gather a comprehensive list of what can be done to lose some weight on the bike, and how much different mods will take off.  If you were REALLY trying to lighten the bike, what options would you have?

I'm not really in need of a lighter bike, just curious what could be done.  Eventually I might work toward some of these.  If anyone knows how much weight could be removed with these mods, or how much the originals weigh, etc, please contribute.

Things I've thought of so far:

Put on lighter aftermarket:

wheels
exhaust
forks
dampener
tripple tree
rearsets
pegs
grips
levers

Subframe swap (I've heard 10 lbs)
Undertail (remove/cut the shovel, or aftermarket replacement)
Take off reflectors (lol)
Smaller sprockets (-1 front, -2/3 rear, lose a couple chain links)
Lighter tires (?)
CF fairings
Remove chain guard
Remove paint/coating and polish the frame and swingarm
Remove all stickers
Sand/polish inners
Thinner windshield (?)
Integrated blinkers
Remove one side front brake disc & caliper (seen it done, never would...)
Remove passenger pegs

*please nobody think this next part is serious*
Then to go really extreme, sand off half of all your brake pads, get tires that are almost worn to the core, drain the oil, clutch and brake fluids, as well as coolant to just above the min fill lines, and drain the fuel tank down to one gallon of gas.

I'd keep the chain guard. That piece of plastic weighs next to nothing and is some small protection should the chain come loose and for chain lube spray.

The big initial weight savings will be exhaust and wheels.  When i had my Magnesium Dymags on, my Busa felt alot more responsive. Pilot Power tires are among the lightest. Use wave rotors.

Ditch the rear footpeg brackets and install a Vortex exhaust hanger.  
Ditch the OEM undertray and install a tigertail.
Aluminum subframe.  
Aftermarket rearsets.
Aftermarket swingarm.
Ditch the underwing and bracket.
Use Ti bolts throughout the bike.
Use a carbon fiber drag seat.
Ditch the stock gascap and install a Vortex gascap and base.(They're a 1/4 of the weight over stock)
Use only 2 bolts instead of 4 where the grab bar attatches. Also, ditch the grabbar.
Heck, ditch the whole OEM tail assy and install a Catalyst one piece street/race tail.
The upper fairing stay is a heavy piece, as well as the OEM headlamp assembly.
Definitly do all the carbon fiber you can.

There's other stuff you can do to, like lightening brackets and drilling holes to save weight.  

Just a friendly warning, making your bike lighter can become an evil addiction. I've seen guys over on a ZRX forum going to great lengths and expense to lighten their bikes.  
biggrin.gif

But, with some creative work you drop alot of weight off your bike.

lurk.gif

Nice topic. Would be nice to see just HOW MUCH weight savings each mod would give you. Also provides a cost to weight savings ratio like we use for horsepower. We have many classes of riders here and all could benefit from this topic. For me, CF is too expensive for street fighting. Full exhaust did make a HUGE difference though.

My biggest weight savings was diet and dropping from 270 lbs to 250 lbs. Looking to get back to the 230 range which puts me around 16% bodyfat.

Best way to drop the weight on the bike is to DROP YOUR OWN weight...
smile.gif
Forget the few lbs here and few lbs there on the bike, I was 220 and now way 142... Made a big difference...
biggrin.gif

I was going to say that for most of us men dropping 30 to 60 pounds is healthier and by far cheaper than magnesium wheels, etc. The 4 in 1 exhaust and removing the subframe would be biggies, mirrors gone. Just depends on what you're doing. Toolbag and tools, along with strap and manual. Pair Valve and associated piping.

I'm probably not going to go on a lightening craze... if that was my goal I would have started with a gsxr1000. I'm just wondering what future mods I could do that would make the bike feel lighter.

I'm a big guy, so obviously I can loose weight myself too, but I'm capable of figuring that part out myself... I'm curious how much weight the bike can lose.

Does anyone know at least how much the stock wheels and exhaust system weigh?

(GMbusa @ Jul. 11 2007,09:43) Ditch the rear footpeg brackets and install a Vortex exhaust hanger.  
Haven't seen one I guess. Any pics/details?

How about Titanium Rods and valves, Berilium keepers etc. Cryogenic treated Aluminum Clutch plates, Carbon fiber handlebars! Going to a different swingarm with the caliper attached directly to eliminate the brake bar. Stressed member (no subframe) Carbon fiber Tail section. Lots of free thinking could come up with tons of extreme weight savings.

Or maybe just skip the double Bacon Ciabatta Burger (My Fave) at Jack in the box!
laugh.gif

When it gets right down to it the Hayabusa is most likely not the ideal (logical) candidate for this type of program. Fun to think about though!
beerchug.gif

(bitabur @ Jul. 10 2007,10:30) I'm looking to gather a comprehensive list of what can be done to lose some weight on the bike, and how much different mods will take off.  If you were REALLY trying to lighten the bike, what options would you have?

I'm not really in need of a lighter bike, just curious what could be done.  Eventually I might work toward some of these.  If anyone knows how much weight could be removed with these mods, or how much the originals weigh, etc, please contribute.

Things I've thought of so far:

Put on lighter aftermarket:

wheels
exhaust
forks
dampener
tripple tree
rearsets
pegs
grips
levers

Subframe swap (I've heard 10 lbs)
Take off reflectors (lol)
Smaller sprockets (-1 front, -2/3 rear, lose a couple chain links)
Lighter tires (?)
CF fairings
Remove chain guard
Remove paint/coating and polish the frame and swingarm
Remove all stickers
Sand/polish inners
Thinner windshield (?)
Integrated blinkers
Remove passenger pegs

*please nobody think this next part is serious*
Then to go really extreme, sand off half of all your brake pads, get tires that are almost worn to the core, drain the oil, clutch and brake fluids, as well as coolant to just above the min fill lines, and drain the fuel tank down to one gallon of gas.
wheels (STOCK WHEEKLS A LIGHT UNLESS YOU GO WITH CARBON)
exhaust (sINGLE)
forks (NO)
dampener (NO)
tripple tree (NO)
rearsets (YES)
pegs (YES)
grips (NO)
levers (NOT WORTH IT IF GOOD)

Subframe swap (I've heard 10 lbs) (no)
Take off reflectors (lol) (biggest savings in weight)
Smaller sprockets (-1 front, -2/3 rear, lose a couple (no)chain links)
Lighter tires (?)
CF fairings (no not for the expense)
Remove chain guard (no not safe)
Remove paint/coating and polish the frame and swingarm (looks only)
Remove all stickers
Sand/polish inners
Thinner windshield (?)
Integrated blinkers
Remove passenger pegs (yes)

Smaller tank if racing (this and the gas is a lot of weight)

All OF THIS DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE BIKE. Don't worry about ther wight the cost would be crazy. It is actually cheaper and safer to increase your HP.

(Ninja Eater @ Jul. 11 2007,15:58) Subframe swap (I've heard 10 lbs)  (no)
Ninja Eater,

Why no on the subframe?

(for the record it is 7lbs)

Rick

OR, find that little guy at the dragstrip that weighs maybe 130lbs suited and have him run your bike for you.  
firedevil.gif

I hate when i have to line up against those guys.  Here i am all 6'3 300lbs and i get to run the oompa loompa on his Busa with the same mods i have. And the guy runs an honest 1-1.2 seconds faster because of his weight!

pissed.gif
It's times like that when i realize a competitive racer i will not be. When your atleast 50-70lbs heavier than the heavy hitter class, i say why bother.

Carbon Fiber wheels -12lbs $4000
Full Titanium Exhaust 4-1 -18lbs $1200
Aluminum rear subframe -7lbs $200

After that it's gets harder...a few oz's here and there $$$$$$$$ how much ya got to spend.

YOU can lose 30-50+ lbs for free and feel better too
super.gif

(GMbusa @ Jul. 11 2007,16:49) OR, find that little guy at the dragstrip that weighs maybe 130lbs suited and have him run your bike for you.  
firedevil.gif

I hate when i have to line up against those guys.  Here i am all 6'3 300lbs and i get to run the oompa loompa on his Busa with the same mods i have. And the guy runs an honest 1-1.2 seconds faster because of his weight!

pissed.gif
  It's times like that when i realize a competitive racer i will not be. When your atleast 50-70lbs heavier than the heavy hitter class, i say why bother.
That is the reason they make bracket E/T classes. For Old, slow, fat guys like me!

Somebody ping GPW, he did this with Thor for about 30 lbs +/-. Search his threads, I think he posted the component weights and savings...

Drivetrain avoirdupois is most immediately noticeable in performance- 520 conversion w/aluminum sprockets, BST wheels, lightweight brake rotors (thinner, smaller diameter), Brembo monobloc calipers. Congratulations, you just spent SIX GRAND!!!
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif

Ohhhh, but it is SWEEEEET......
super.gif

P.S.- Oh yeah, Greg spent $15,000 altogether...
smile.gif

SHOCKED.gif

Back