Pulled over, not ticketed...

TheAtomicAss

Registered
When I started driving in 2000, I was on my parents policy.  When I bought my truck in '03, I got my own insurance and they took me off theirs.

In March of this year I was pulled over in the middle of the night, in my dad's truck.  (I had to drive it that week because I had royally screwed my carbs on the Ninja).  I was NOT ticketed at this stop.

Last week my parents got the bill for their insurance, and it stated that I had been added to the policy again.  None of us asked the insurance company to do this.  I rarely use my parents vehicles, outside of the times when we're all going to the same place, and then most times I'm the "chauffeur".

25% of the bill the insurance company sent, was for me alone, and ONLY for a 4cyl bone stock Chevrolet S-10.  The amount they want is more than I EVER paid for full coverage on my '03 with a V6, and this is just for insuring me, not the coverage on the truck.  It's also more than I pay for both motorcycles.  We're talking now about finding different insurance for them as I think the whole bill is ridiculous.

That aside, it is unscrupulous behavior for my local courthouse to report pullovers of ANY KIND to ANY insurance company, PERIOD.

The question I would like to pose, however, has any legal wrong been done here?

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151831334 -->

...if the cop didn't give you a ticket, there will be no record of the incident..so I would say that the insurance hike has nothing to do with the cop pulling you over.

Have you contacted the insurance company? Could just be a clerical error that rolled you back on the policy.

The local agencies do not report to the insurance companies. That is a huge misconception everywhere. Every year all insurance companies run a check on about 3% of thier customers. The majority of that check is targeted to "high risk" drivers. That category includes, but is not limited to, people who have filed claims and younger drivers. It also includes a credit check. This just started a couple of years ago. I am not sure if a credit check is performed in every state, but here your credit affects your insurance as well.

Don

PS. You started driving in 2000?

Gawd, I am old. LOL
tounge.gif

...if the cop didn't give you a ticket, there will be no record of the incident..so I would say that the insurance hike has nothing to do with the cop pulling you over.
Thing is, there's no other way they could have known I was driving that truck. My parents didn't put me on, I didn't put myself on. This wasn't my insurance going up.

The local agencies do not report to the insurance companies.  That is a huge misconception everywhere.  Every year all insurance companies run a check on about 3% of thier customers.  The majority of that check is targeted to "high risk" drivers.  That category includes, but is not limited to, people who have filed claims and younger drivers.  It also includes a credit check.  This just started a couple of years ago.  I am not sure if a credit check is performed in every state, but here your credit affects your insurance as well.  

Don

PS.  You started driving in 2000?    

Gawd, I am old.   LOL  
tounge.gif
Don't mind me, just post-hoin'...
biggrin.gif

I wasn't a customer with them until this bill came up. And there is no other way they could have known I was driving the truck at all.

If the local agency doesn't record non-ticketing stops, as Mojave Mike suggests, + me not being a current customer with them...

2+2=69 Something's wrong with that math.
umnik.gif

do you live with your parents if you do everyone who has a driver's license and lives in the house has got to be on the insurance

I guarantee that unless the cop was your agent the stop has NOTHING to do with you being put back on the truck's insurance. Just doesn't happen that way.

do you live with your parents if you do everyone who has a driver's license and  lives in the house has got to be on the insurance
How's that work exactly?

I do live with them but I have my own vehicles with my own insurance.
Does not matter, every licensed driver in the house is taken into consideration. You may have to move there car to get to yours, thats what it boils down to. That is a normal practice.

do you live with your parents if you do everyone who has a driver's license and lives in the house has got to be on the insurance
How's that work exactly?

Does not matter, every licensed driver in the house is taken into consideration. You may have to move there car to get to yours, thats what it boils down to. That is a normal practice.
Bingo...was about to type the same thing.

do you live with your parents if you do everyone who has a driver's license and  lives in the house has got to be on the insurance
How's that work exactly?

Bingo...was about to type the same thing.
bingo +2 .....which really made my dad happy since he had a porsche in the garage and I had to be covered on it!!
jump9.gif

you can sign a waiver for the ins company
my g/f's son lives with us and no way in hell can i afford to insure him on my vette
Had to sign a form stating that he was not to operate the vehicle.
May depend on the company, but I did it so know it can be done.

Well for whatever reason, from January 2004 until this bill came, I was NOT on the policy.  I'm not even on the policy as an overall driver, either, rather 1 specific vehicle, the one I was pulled over in.  Me being a potential driver of all 4 vehicles would make sense, making me the PRINCIPAL driver of my fathers truck makes no sense whatsoever.  $1,492/yr just to move a vehicle occasionally is NOT a normal practice anyway you could possibly slice the pie.

And, I would never have to move this specific vehicle to get in or out of the garage.  I would have to move 1 or 2 SUV's, down a grade, where the drainage ditch in the road dips sharply.  Can you say rollover potential?  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151911297 -->

Back