Insurance wisdom.

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I was in a collision back in August.  A suburban took me out in a violent lane change.  No witnesses stuck around.  But thankfully the police report clearly laid 100% fault on the suburban.  

The hospital still hasn't billed me or my medical insurance, its been 5 months.  CA law states that your medical insurance doesn't have to pay medical bills if it has been more than 180days.  I've been trying to get the hospital bills, but have had no luck.  I've gone to hospital 5 times and called over fifty times...

So in other words, if this accident had been my fault.  Medical insurance companies do not have to pay if the hospital/ambulance/doctors don't bill within 180 days and then the hospital/ambulance/doctors then will come after you for the full amounts.

I'll be OK because I have 2yrs to get my claim settled since I wasn't at fault.

However, if you are at fault and the hospital doesn't bill your insurance within 180days, then you have to pay all of the hospital bills.  You can file an appeal to your medical insurance, but there is no guarranty that they will cover the bills.

This is scary, I mean what's the point of having insurance if they don't have to pay after 180days.  I'm ok this time, but what about if it is my fault next time and the hospital doesn't bill in time??   Sounds like a scam between hospitals and insurance companies to me.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along so everyone knows.  I don't know what the timeframes are for other states.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136595197 -->

Appreciate the info. Charles. Hope you are doing all right now.

Appreciate the info. Charles. Hope you are doing all right now.
Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just a very big bruise on my left side from either the handlebars or the mirror, it took a couple months before it was completely gone. I was wearing full gear and no one ran me over on the freeway, so I came out of it really good considering.

In Florida, If the physician does not submit the claim within 30 days, Too bad for the physician. My mom runs the physical therapy department for the Hospital. There is a form that can be submitted to the insurance company that extends teh time to 90 days but that's it! She found out the hard way. The insurance companies also like to play games like not provide the full ID # on YOUR card so they can't file correctly and exceed the time limit. The last trick is more common on prescrition cards. Yeah, Ins. companies are definately not in it for OUR protection!

Dam'n that sucks . I was hit and the other drivers insurance won't pay until they settle and they won't settle until everything is done . Well I had theraphy for a year on my back so I kept getting the bills . I would call and give them the info but the insurance co. refuses to pay until its settled . It pisses me off the way I have to pay bills when they KNOW that they are going to have to pay them eventually (it was a rear end accident). But I pay the min. and my lawyer is keeping track of it all.

Back