pulled my oil pan can i reuse the old gasket?

hoginme

Registered
I finally got around to pulling my oil pan and installing a helicoil since my drain plug was stripped. Can I reuse the gasket that was on there or should i buy a new one. It looks like it is on good condition but not sure if it will seal right once it has been pulled?

ive taken the clutch cover off several times using the same gasket without any leaks....never had the oil pan off but i doubt its any different

How much is a new one vs. your piece of mind
rock.gif

(hoginme @ Jul. 05 2007,22:01) I finally got around to pulling my oil pan and installing a helicoil since my drain plug was stripped.  Can I reuse the gasket that was on there or should i buy a new one.  It looks like it is on good condition but not sure if it will seal right once it has been pulled?
I am new to the site, but a buddy told me this is the best place to ask. I have realized that I stripped the oil plug (still not happy about it I am moving the torque wrench up on my to get list).

I gather that I have two options: replace the oil pan, or get a helicoil. I was wondering what the benifit is of doing one or the other. And if you have any good advice about removing the oil pan.

(BusaBryan @ Jul. 28 2007,11:55)
(hoginme @ Jul. 05 2007,22:01) I finally got around to pulling my oil pan and installing a helicoil since my drain plug was stripped.  Can I reuse the gasket that was on there or should i buy a new one.  It looks like it is on good condition but not sure if it will seal right once it has been pulled?
I am new to the site, but a buddy told me this is the best place to ask.  I have realized that I stripped the oil plug (still not happy about it I am moving the torque wrench up on my to get list).  

I gather that I have two options: replace the oil pan, or get a helicoil.  I was wondering what the benifit is of doing one or the other.  And if you have any good advice about removing the oil pan.
lots of guys have done helicoils but ran into problems the next time they pulled the plug back out. One guy posted this link for a repair kit.
http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
You may want to call your dealership and see if they over sized plugs that will work.

I don't trust heli-coils. Plus, I wouldn't reuse a gasket. Just not worth the risk or the time to take it back off if something goes wrong.

--Wag--

What are you guys using on these drain plugs, impacts? I hand tighten all my drain plugs, never had one to strip.

Back