Proud Busa owner in Hamburg DE

SSurfer Hh

Registered
Hi All,

This is the 1st owners group I've ever joined as I intend to keep the 2002 Busa (purchased last week) for a "long time"!

I've bought the bike to make tours of Europe and over to the UK. Oh, and obviously to humiliate many super-cars on the German Autobahns! ;)

The bike is showing a little battle damage. Nothing too bad, just a few scuffs, which I won't have a problem sorting out as I'm involved in Yacht painting. It will be all gloss black eventually with silver powder coated wheels. Appropriate new Busa graphics will obviously be applied to the forward fairings.

Any advice or recommendations/experience regarding the following would be appreciated:

1) Dual compound tyres that won't wear out after 4000 km for those long trips.
2) Luggage (top box and side panniers + tank bag). I'd mostly be touring alone so I'd probably go for a bag that sits on the pillion seat.

Glad to be a Busa owner and look forward to getting on the road as soon as I get the registration sorted here....

Many thanks
Des

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Welcome! Gen 1s will indeed embarrass ‘super’ cars. :cool: I also tour solo and any of the Michelin Pilot Road multi compound series tires will last far beyond 4,000k. c10 will be along with hard bag info (ew) but I use a 22” soft side seatbag behind me and a medium sized tankbag on tour. I like keeping it

slim, no wider than I am.

HayaWakened

Registered
Welcome @SSurfer Hh! As Mr Brown has said, nice first post! Congrats on buying the 2nd best touring bike on the market (gen 2's are superior in looks, at least!).

LUGGAGE
Being that California permits lane splitting (and I've yet to cover ALL of the state), I subscribe to @WuzzaCBXRider's "soft & slim" philosophy and use something similar to his setup. I think he claims about ten days on the road in this config, and I can personally attest to 6 days if using hotels/friends for overnights with this config:
IMG_2523.JPG

I am developing a system to include sleeping bag and 2-man tent - without modding anything, just a larger bag in the back but still soft & slim - for this summer's adventures. Target is 10 moto-camping days.

TIRES
Such a personal choice, honestly, but it's hard to argue against the Michelin series. You might want to watch this video wherein org.member c10 discusses applying a different series type of tire up front in order to match tire wear/longevity, and therefore rotation cycles.

Enjoy your new bike!

SSurfer Hh

Registered
Welcome! Gen 1s will indeed embarrass ‘super’ cars. :cool: I also tour solo and any of the Michelin Pilot Road multi compound series tires will last far beyond 4,000k. c10 will be along with hard bag info (ew) but I use a 22” soft side seatbag behind me and a medium sized tankbag on tour. I like keeping itView attachment 1620238

View attachment 1620239

slim, no wider than I am.
Thanks Wuzza, That looks like a good set up and a strong option to get me going on my adventures. I do tend to travel light anyway. I'll check out the bag options, cheers :) Michelin I've used on many previous bikes so they seem the way to go. Many thanks. D

SSurfer Hh

Registered
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. Like others said, C10 is the touring guy on the forum, but I have some givi v35 side cases and V56(?) top case that I use to carry stuff and as my girlfriend’s backrest. here is my setup.
View attachment 1620252
Hi Mabupa, That's a really nice looking set up, especially with the silver and black/grey matching the bike. Givi obviously a quality brand. I'll definitely be looking at these once I'm properly touring. Cheers. Des :)

SSurfer Hh

Registered
Welcome @SSurfer Hh! As Mr Brown has said, nice first post! Congrats on buying the 2nd best touring bike on the market (gen 2's are superior in looks, at least!).

LUGGAGE
Being that California permits lane splitting (and I've yet to cover ALL of the state), I subscribe to @WuzzaCBXRider's "soft & slim" philosophy and use something similar to his setup. I think he claims about ten days on the road in this config, and I can personally attest to 6 days if using hotels/friends for overnights with this config:
View attachment 1620259
I am developing a system to include sleeping bag and 2-man tent - without modding anything, just a larger bag in the back but still soft & slim - for this summer's adventures. Target is 10 moto-camping days.

TIRES
Such a personal choice, honestly, but it's hard to argue against the Michelin series. You might want to watch this video wherein org.member c10 discusses applying a different series type of tire up front in order to match tire wear/longevity, and therefore rotation cycles.

Enjoy your new bike!

Thanks HayaWakened, Lot's of useful info there. I'll be taking the tyre advice once I've used up the old Bridgestones I've currently got on the bike. They're very squared off on the rear especially but I'm already getting the edges used (see later post). I'm very much in favour (for my initial trips) to go for the "slim" option, with bags on the tank and pillion seat.

This is an awesome group. Bikers are always like one big family. Great to be involved and back on 2 wheels again :)

Cheers

Des

SSurfer Hh

Registered
Hi All,

So, I was extremely lucky that I have a friend with a good contact at an agency here in Hamburg that deals with registering vehicles. I dropped off all of my documents on Wednesday of last week (midday) and expected a minimum of 3 to 5 (working) days to get my plate (normally, next day is possible but major delays due to Corona!). The agency did a fantastic job and got my plate (with my initials and birth year also :) ) to me 2 days later on Friday afternoon!
I was ecstatic to say the least!

She was occasionally cutting out on tick-over, but a fresh tank of fuel sorted that out. Previous owner was past 60 years old, so I'm guessing it was not ridden too much and the fuel was past it's sell by date....

The old Bridgestones are squared off on the rear, but as you can see from the picture, I have already made some use of the untouched rubber on the edge ;) The "chicken strip" was at least 40mm before, now it's around 10mm. This was just a short outing on a road I found on the internet just north of Hamburg. Some nice curves. I wasn't pushing it at all, but I can say I don't subscribe to the common belief that the Busa cannot corner! Super stable and predicable. It just requires a bit of forward planning for the curves (more than my old 2000 R1 for sure!).

She's in need of a bit of "TLC" for sure. Cush drive I think and clutch + a good all round check by my local bike garage, but I'm blow away by the way she pulls! Big smiles on every ride :)

Cheers guys for all your messages and advice....

Ride safe

Cheers

Des

Bumblebee

Registered
Hi All,

So, I was extremely lucky that I have a friend with a good contact at an agency here in Hamburg that deals with registering vehicles. I dropped off all of my documents on Wednesday of last week (midday) and expected a minimum of 3 to 5 (working) days to get my plate (normally, next day is possible but major delays due to Corona!). The agency did a fantastic job and got my plate (with my initials and birth year also :) ) to me 2 days later on Friday afternoon!
I was ecstatic to say the least!

She was occasionally cutting out on tick-over, but a fresh tank of fuel sorted that out. Previous owner was past 60 years old, so I'm guessing it was not ridden too much and the fuel was past it's sell by date....

The old Bridgestones are squared off on the rear, but as you can see from the picture, I have already made some use of the untouched rubber on the edge ;) The "chicken strip" was at least 40mm before, now it's around 10mm. This was just a short outing on a road I found on the internet just north of Hamburg. Some nice curves. I wasn't pushing it at all, but I can say I don't subscribe to the common belief that the Busa cannot corner! Super stable and predicable. It just requires a bit of forward planning for the curves (more than my old 2000 R1 for sure!).

She's in need of a bit of "TLC" for sure. Cush drive I think and clutch + a good all round check by my local bike garage, but I'm blow away by the way she pulls! Big smiles on every ride :)

Cheers guys for all your messages and advice....

Ride safe

Cheers

DesView attachment 1620803

View attachment 1620804
Good to hear you are out in the wind and the bike is performing well....

I'm always amazed how gentle these bikes are until you don't want them to be...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tim R Proud Owner of new 2017 Busa New Owners Forum 11
Ron223 Proud New Busa owner and site member saying hello! New Owners Forum 27
NewbieOnBusa Another proud owner of Busa! New Owners Forum 33
T A proud new busa owner New Owners Forum 44
dbad007 Proud new owner of a 02 Busa New Owners Forum 31
N Proud new owner of a 1999 Busa New Owners Forum 35
C Proud new Busa owner! New Owners Forum 30
S Hi All,,am a proud new busa owner New Owners Forum 29
shonjon21 Proud new Busa owner New Owners Forum 19
B and...another proud Busa owner... New Owners Forum 28
R proud new owner of '06 busa le New Owners Forum 24
S Proud owner of a 06 le busa New Owners Forum 9
issy_busa Proud new 'busa owner General Bike Related Topics 16
L Official proud new Busa owner New Owners Forum 26
C Proud owner of a new 02 busa General Bike Related Topics 5
MattyIce 79 Proud new owner with a question Gen II Busa Information 37
captain A Very Proud Father Random Thoughts 13
BlondeOnaBusa One Proud Momma! Random Thoughts 20
S Just saying hello. Glad to be a proud Hayabusa owner. New Owners Forum 19
C Proud New Owner of a Unrestricted 2000 Model New Owners Forum 22
rubbersidedown I have done "All of US" proud boys...the Hump for Dewie General Bike Related Topics 12
gfunko Proud new owner! Gen II Busa Information 43
skydivr VERY Proud of my Daughter! Random Thoughts 20
D Proud New Owner of a 1999 Hayabusa New Owners Forum 22
skydivr Proud of Mrs. Skydivr (aka Skyqueen) Random Thoughts 18
mracer29 Im a proud papa! The Playground 11
raydog I'm so proud of my daughter! Random Thoughts 22
fast08busa Proud day Random Thoughts 11
ogre I'm so proud, i just might poop. Random Thoughts 29
fast08busa So proud of my boy!!!! Random Thoughts 11
newman I don't feel proud but. Random Thoughts 30
Ezduzit Proud dad Random Thoughts 10
OldMan Can't help but to be proud of her General Bike Related Topics 22
sportcustoms71 Thank God i'm an American!!!! and proud to be call A United States Marine. Random Thoughts 9
aussiesuzukirider Proud Aussies join the clean up. Random Thoughts 3
gloryboys Time for the Black To show loud and proud Gen II Busa Information 74
JINKSTER Proud/Happy..almost back to old self... Random Thoughts 20
JoshS Proud Father Today!!!!! Random Thoughts 22
Elvorin Proud Owner of '09 New Owners Forum 27
kromdom 3 SoCal Hoons are now proud members of the Iron Butt Association !!! General Bike Related Topics 37
Kaptain Kanji I'm a proud father..... Random Thoughts 4
Sir T Rex Proud New Faa-jaaahh! New Owners Forum 25
captain So very proud of my father.... Patriot Guard Random Thoughts 10
Blanca BusaLess Very proud day for me as a father General Bike Related Topics 30
captain So proud of my wife... Busagal Random Thoughts 33
VaBusa This is silly for the guys, I know, but I'm proud! Random Thoughts 45
jphilipson Now a proud member of the 1000 club! Random Thoughts 21
NickSully Very proud of friend in Raleigh NC Random Thoughts 14
Warchild Proud Dad / Nervous Dad General Bike Related Topics 43
R I'm now a proud owner.... New Owners Forum 26