Proud Busa owner in Hamburg DE

SSurfer Hh

Registered
Hi All,

This is the 1st owners group I've ever joined as I intend to keep the 2002 Busa (purchased last week) for a "long time"!

I've bought the bike to make tours of Europe and over to the UK. Oh, and obviously to humiliate many super-cars on the German Autobahns! ;)

The bike is showing a little battle damage. Nothing too bad, just a few scuffs, which I won't have a problem sorting out as I'm involved in Yacht painting. It will be all gloss black eventually with silver powder coated wheels. Appropriate new Busa graphics will obviously be applied to the forward fairings.

Any advice or recommendations/experience regarding the following would be appreciated:

1) Dual compound tyres that won't wear out after 4000 km for those long trips.
2) Luggage (top box and side panniers + tank bag). I'd mostly be touring alone so I'd probably go for a bag that sits on the pillion seat.

Glad to be a Busa owner and look forward to getting on the road as soon as I get the registration sorted here....

Many thanks
Des

Welcome! Gen 1s will indeed embarrass ‘super’ cars. :cool: I also tour solo and any of the Michelin Pilot Road multi compound series tires will last far beyond 4,000k. c10 will be along with hard bag info (ew) but I use a 22” soft side seatbag behind me and a medium sized tankbag on tour. I like keeping it

slim, no wider than I am.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. Like others said, C10 is the touring guy on the forum, but I have some givi v35 side cases and V56(?) top case that I use to carry stuff and as my girlfriend’s backrest. here is my setup.

Welcome, you seem to have the future for your bike all sorted out...

I do like the color it is now, very interesting...

Welcome @SSurfer Hh! As Mr Brown has said, nice first post! Congrats on buying the 2nd best touring bike on the market (gen 2's are superior in looks, at least!).

LUGGAGE
Being that California permits lane splitting (and I've yet to cover ALL of the state), I subscribe to @WuzzaCBXRider's "soft & slim" philosophy and use something similar to his setup. I think he claims about ten days on the road in this config, and I can personally attest to 6 days if using hotels/friends for overnights with this config:
IMG_2523.JPG

I am developing a system to include sleeping bag and 2-man tent - without modding anything, just a larger bag in the back but still soft & slim - for this summer's adventures. Target is 10 moto-camping days.

TIRES
Such a personal choice, honestly, but it's hard to argue against the Michelin series. You might want to watch this video wherein org.member c10 discusses applying a different series type of tire up front in order to match tire wear/longevity, and therefore rotation cycles.

Enjoy your new bike!

Welcome! Gen 1s will indeed embarrass ‘super’ cars. :cool: I also tour solo and any of the Michelin Pilot Road multi compound series tires will last far beyond 4,000k. c10 will be along with hard bag info (ew) but I use a 22” soft side seatbag behind me and a medium sized tankbag on tour. I like keeping itView attachment 1620238

View attachment 1620239

slim, no wider than I am.
Thanks Wuzza, That looks like a good set up and a strong option to get me going on my adventures. I do tend to travel light anyway. I'll check out the bag options, cheers :) Michelin I've used on many previous bikes so they seem the way to go. Many thanks. D

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. Like others said, C10 is the touring guy on the forum, but I have some givi v35 side cases and V56(?) top case that I use to carry stuff and as my girlfriend’s backrest. here is my setup.
View attachment 1620252
Hi Mabupa, That's a really nice looking set up, especially with the silver and black/grey matching the bike. Givi obviously a quality brand. I'll definitely be looking at these once I'm properly touring. Cheers. Des :)

Welcome @SSurfer Hh! As Mr Brown has said, nice first post! Congrats on buying the 2nd best touring bike on the market (gen 2's are superior in looks, at least!).

LUGGAGE
Being that California permits lane splitting (and I've yet to cover ALL of the state), I subscribe to @WuzzaCBXRider's "soft & slim" philosophy and use something similar to his setup. I think he claims about ten days on the road in this config, and I can personally attest to 6 days if using hotels/friends for overnights with this config:
View attachment 1620259
I am developing a system to include sleeping bag and 2-man tent - without modding anything, just a larger bag in the back but still soft & slim - for this summer's adventures. Target is 10 moto-camping days.

TIRES
Such a personal choice, honestly, but it's hard to argue against the Michelin series. You might want to watch this video wherein org.member c10 discusses applying a different series type of tire up front in order to match tire wear/longevity, and therefore rotation cycles.

Enjoy your new bike!

Thanks HayaWakened, Lot's of useful info there. I'll be taking the tyre advice once I've used up the old Bridgestones I've currently got on the bike. They're very squared off on the rear especially but I'm already getting the edges used (see later post). I'm very much in favour (for my initial trips) to go for the "slim" option, with bags on the tank and pillion seat.

This is an awesome group. Bikers are always like one big family. Great to be involved and back on 2 wheels again :)

Cheers

Des

Hi All,

So, I was extremely lucky that I have a friend with a good contact at an agency here in Hamburg that deals with registering vehicles. I dropped off all of my documents on Wednesday of last week (midday) and expected a minimum of 3 to 5 (working) days to get my plate (normally, next day is possible but major delays due to Corona!). The agency did a fantastic job and got my plate (with my initials and birth year also :) ) to me 2 days later on Friday afternoon!
I was ecstatic to say the least!

She was occasionally cutting out on tick-over, but a fresh tank of fuel sorted that out. Previous owner was past 60 years old, so I'm guessing it was not ridden too much and the fuel was past it's sell by date....

The old Bridgestones are squared off on the rear, but as you can see from the picture, I have already made some use of the untouched rubber on the edge ;) The "chicken strip" was at least 40mm before, now it's around 10mm. This was just a short outing on a road I found on the internet just north of Hamburg. Some nice curves. I wasn't pushing it at all, but I can say I don't subscribe to the common belief that the Busa cannot corner! Super stable and predicable. It just requires a bit of forward planning for the curves (more than my old 2000 R1 for sure!).

She's in need of a bit of "TLC" for sure. Cush drive I think and clutch + a good all round check by my local bike garage, but I'm blow away by the way she pulls! Big smiles on every ride :)

Cheers guys for all your messages and advice....

Ride safe

Cheers

Des

Hi All,

So, I was extremely lucky that I have a friend with a good contact at an agency here in Hamburg that deals with registering vehicles. I dropped off all of my documents on Wednesday of last week (midday) and expected a minimum of 3 to 5 (working) days to get my plate (normally, next day is possible but major delays due to Corona!). The agency did a fantastic job and got my plate (with my initials and birth year also :) ) to me 2 days later on Friday afternoon!
I was ecstatic to say the least!

She was occasionally cutting out on tick-over, but a fresh tank of fuel sorted that out. Previous owner was past 60 years old, so I'm guessing it was not ridden too much and the fuel was past it's sell by date....

The old Bridgestones are squared off on the rear, but as you can see from the picture, I have already made some use of the untouched rubber on the edge ;) The "chicken strip" was at least 40mm before, now it's around 10mm. This was just a short outing on a road I found on the internet just north of Hamburg. Some nice curves. I wasn't pushing it at all, but I can say I don't subscribe to the common belief that the Busa cannot corner! Super stable and predicable. It just requires a bit of forward planning for the curves (more than my old 2000 R1 for sure!).

She's in need of a bit of "TLC" for sure. Cush drive I think and clutch + a good all round check by my local bike garage, but I'm blow away by the way she pulls! Big smiles on every ride :)

Cheers guys for all your messages and advice....

Ride safe

Cheers

DesView attachment 1620803

View attachment 1620804

Good to hear you are out in the wind and the bike is performing well....

I'm always amazed how gentle these bikes are until you don't want them to be...

Back