Problem solved...

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
My Busa is up and running again....... After all that hard work the one thing that got it up and running again was

In case ya missed it yesterday the bike decided to not start. The smell of fuel was everywhere and it was obvious I wasn't leaving on the bike. After tearing this thing apart and checking for trouble codes (didn't find any) and looking for anything obvious I gave up. Today another Board member tells me this same thing happened to him last year on his bike. Exactly the same simptons my Busa was having and all he did to fix it was cleaned his plugs....... I'm thinking to myself "ain't no way" those could be the problem! Especially since it happened almost instantly....  <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>He was right on the money,</span>put in new plugs today and she sprang to life! Hope this isn't a band-aid for another hidden problem. I guess only time will tell.....

Ks.. thanks for keeping us in the loop.. I'll have to file that one away for future reference.. Sounds goofy that it was something that 'minor', but hey, if it worked.. Ride on, bro'!!

smile.gif

Hey that's great KS.....weird problem hey.
Is yer bike stock or modded.......wondering if yer running the correct map if it's modded......tryin to figure the plug thing out.
wink.gif

He asked to remain anonymous..... My bike has the Two-Brothers 4-2-1 full exhaust, K & N air filter, & no map (which is what the manufacture of my pipe suggested) ? ? ? ?
Thanks again to everyone lending an ear and giving some starting points for this problem. Ks

It probably wouldn't hurt to have you're map checked and have it dynoed. Worst case it won't hurt anything, and best case your busa may even run better when all is said and done.

KS, I can hook you up. A good friend has a dyno let me get some time with it on mine so I can figure out the tuning and I have the Teka unit so it won't be a problem to tune several bikes. Just have to pay for the dyno time. I will keep you in mind once I have a handle on things.

Sounds to me like you need a custom map. Perhaps that is what caused your plugs to become fouled. I had the same thing happen on my old 954RR. Out of the blue it just would not start at all, plenty of fuel, plenty or juice but no spark. I could not imagine that the plugs just instantly fouled when they ran fine just the day before. So after a rather intensive day of tearing the bike apart (that bike is very difficult to get to the plugs - pisses me off just remembering about it) I replaced the plugs and it instantly fired up like nothing was wrong.

The lesson was that plugs can foul very quickly, particularly if you are not running a proper map like my old 954RR (mine had a Micron pipe but no map). They were fouled from crusty deposits caused by running lean and hot (too much air flow, not enough fuel). How it went from fine to won't start in one day is strange but it happened nonetheless.

At least your problem is solved!

Back