So Here's Today's Problem

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Actually, it's not just today's problem but one that has been lingering. Hadn't done much riding until recently and the bike was running well. Went out about 2 weeks ago and while getting on the highway (in 3d gear) the bike would not accelerate above 6k RPMs and bounced up and down. Eventually settled down and continued riding.

Before last week's group ride had some similar difficulty and thought perhaps the throttle bodies needing to be resynched. Finished that yesterday and everything seemed okay. Took her out today and things were great for a while and then tried accelerating on the highway and same thing (no acceleration and RPMs bouncing around 6k). Settled down and continued riding only to have it happen again later and much worse. This time bounced between 3 and 4k and lost speed. Pulled over and she settled down again. Couple miles down the road same thing and pulled over again. Gunny took a lot (actually we all took a look at the underside of the tank and saw no loose wires and nothing out of the ordinary. Started the bike and she revved perfectly.

At that point, we decided to modify the route as some of you may have read. Happened a couple more times, but was able to make it home. Consensus was a fuel filter or fuel pump. More likely a fuel pump except the fluctuation in RPMs that the problem occurred and that it wasn't consistent.

Any other thoughts before I get a new fuel pump?

By the way, she has a PCIIIR and I reloaded the map yesterday. Plugs were changed about 2 weeks ago. Haven't cleaned the air filter, so I will do that tonite or tomorrow.

One other symptom to add is that she had been having a tough time starting intermittently, particularly when started after a short stop (less than 10 minutes).

I can still hear the banjo's Col
egitarre77.gif

get a used pump assy and drop it in , should fix it right up . i had the same deal on my o5 fuel filter was plugged , dealer wanted 225 for the filter , goldenchild sent me a pump assy out , no more problems
beerchug.gif

get a used pump assy and drop it in , should fix it right up . i had the same deal on my o5 fuel filter was plugged , dealer wanted 225 for the filter , goldenchild sent me a pump assy out , no more problems  
beerchug.gif
Thanks, John. Got one being shipped out tomorrow, so hopefully it will solve the problem. How long did it take you to install?

beerchug.gif
+1... on the fuel filter~ When I had my '04 Dyno tuned back in the day~ The tuner kept hittin a 'flat spot'~ Found the fuel filter to be pretty clogged up~ Once it was replaced... all was good and well again~  
winkold.gif

Hope you find the source of your problem, Ken,  and beat it down without effectin your wallet too aweful bad~  
coolold.gif

beerchug.gif
+1... on the fuel filter~ When I had my '04 Dyno tuned back in the day~ The tuner kept hittin a 'flat spot'~ Found the fuel filter to be pretty clogged up~ Once it was replaced... all was good and well again~  
winkold.gif

Hope you find the source of your problem, Ken,  and beat it down without effectin your wallet too aweful bad~  
coolold.gif
Hope to know next weekend. How's the Harley treatin' you?

Well, got the fuel pump off and boy did it look nasty. Took it apart, cleaned the filter and installed the new (used) pump. Connected everything back up and for some reason couldn't get fuel pump to prime. Checked the fuse, disconnected and reconnected the power and still nothing. Disassembled and put the old pump back on with the clean filter and reinstalled. Bike fired up and revved to the limiter the first couple times. Took her for a spin and after she was warm couldn't get her to rev past 9000. Brought her back home and was going to try the new pump again, but had a cooling problem and decided to let her sit and give it another try tomorrow.

Note to self: do not fill the tank after doing this until you are sure the problem has been resolved! Thankfully I hadn't, so all is good.

Here's a couple pics of the fuel pump after removing.

Midnight__Fuel_Pump____2.JPG

I am going to order a new filter since the local dealer didn't have any on hand, but wondering since I have cleaned it if I should run some fuel injector cleaner through the system? Thoughts?

Ken, did you change out the black fuel pump housing that the fuel level sending unit mounts to?
My problem ended up being it.

Back