fuel pump help -calling all parts guys-

Meta title: petrol pump software

methodicreign

Registered
I have the tell tale signs of a weak pump. The tank was drained and sat like that for months while the parts were off for paint. When I got it back and took it out it bogs down under load and my A/F gauge goes off the scale lean. I took it apart to clean the screens and there really wasn't anything in it. I cut the screen off just to make sure and it still bogs down under hard acceleration and above 6k rpm is like hitting a hard cut off. Either way I'm pretty sure it's a fuel pump. Problem is in my area I can't find 1 and everyone is asking over 800$ for one. Is there an aftermarket version I can get that's just as good and not 1/5 the price of a used bike?
Any help or advice is appreciated.
It's a 2001 internal pump

Schnitz racing.com has one that doesnt take too many tweaks to make work. Somewhere here there is a thread to making an external fuel filter and I would go that route as well. The real stock filter is not the screens but a reservoir looking jobby that the pressure regulator goes into. The pump is the small round deal. If you do not go to the fuel filter mod, you must absolutely clean that reservoir out the best you can. I sprayed so much carb cleaner, shook it, dumped it. Its a bad design really. Seperate it from the fuel pump and shake it around. Does it feel heavy?

I did not know the real filter is in the reservoir. I did not separate that part and check into it. I just ordered another pump online similar to the schnitz racing 1. The external filter idea is a good one I think. Makes things much easier incase of future issues. Thanks for the heads up on that. I might go pull it apart again and take another look.

Back