Problem getting into second

Brucejoe

Registered
Hey all. 08 Busa here.

I noticed this every once in a while last year. It is starting to happen more frequently. When sometimes trying to shift into second, usually at a higher RPM, the kick up to second sounds like a drum roll and wont shift into second. This sound is matched with a vibration in the shifter. This is with the clutch handle fully engaged. I have to down shift to 1st and back up to second.

Any ideas?

do you have issues shift "down " into 2nd gear?
does it happen with any other gear?
how many miles do you have on her?

Try doing a clutchless shift. Preload your foot on the shifter in first, and blip the throttle closed and the tranny should slide into 2nd. If it shifts fine without the clutch, then you have air in the clutch slave cylinder. If it doesn't, you have a bent shift shaft or bent shift fork. Your transmission is designed to withstand 400 hp or more so I doubt you have a problem with the dogs, or have a fork or shaft problem. (but it could happen) Most likely need to bleed the slave cylinder.

i had the same prob i tightened the chain and took the gear linkage apart and regreesed the shaft dry as a bone (too many stream cleans) and it works fine now :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like a bend dog leg in the tranny. I used to have this a lot on my Kawis, but never Suzuki. Take it to the deal, let then replace the needed parts.

Thanks for the input! Slight update.

Made an appointment with the dealership, nothing till May 11th! Yuck.

Only happenes when attempting to shift 1-2 and downshifts are fine. 3500 miles on her. Did a little experimenting today, it seems like the cluth is not always engaging when I pull in the handle, but again, only 1st-2nd. With this 'drum roll' effect happening at a higher RPM, think the cluth is not engaging.

And once I figure out wtf preloading my foot on the shift means or how to bleed the master difuser cylinder assembly router bit I will attempt and get back to you all. :laugh: (not mech smart at all with bikes!)

Keep us posted with what the dealer says. My bike does it everyonce in a while and so does my brothers. We both have 08's. It seems like it only does it when I am accelerating pretty hard. I just pull the clutch in and push up on the shifter until it goes into gear.

Thanks for the input! Slight update.

Made an appointment with the dealership, nothing till May 11th! Yuck.

Only happenes when attempting to shift 1-2 and downshifts are fine. 3500 miles on her. Did a little experimenting today, it seems like the cluth is not always engaging when I pull in the handle, but again, only 1st-2nd. With this 'drum roll' effect happening at a higher RPM, think the cluth is not engaging.

And once I figure out wtf preloading my foot on the shift means or how to bleed the master difuser cylinder assembly router bit I will attempt and get back to you all. :laugh: (not mech smart at all with bikes!)

Needing to bleed the clutch is a fairly common problem on all Hayabusa's, and gives exactly the symptoms you have. Again, it "could" be a bent shift shaft or fork, but that is extreemly unlikely unless you run an airshifter or do a LOT of speed shifting.

There are probably dozens of threads on how to do this, but in short, remove the left side cowling. on the left side of the engine down by the front sprocket is the clutch slave cylinder. There is a bleed nipple on the slave that looks just like a brake bleeding nipple. You bleed the slave the same way you bleed the brakes. Why wait 3 weeks for some dealership to scratch your bike up when you can do it yourself. PM me if you need some help.

Thanks for the help!
I will look into this during the week when I get some time. I do the majority of the work on my cars, but have never removed a cowling let alone done work on a bike.

Was doing it again this morning. Zero throttle, clutch handle fully pulled, 30mph, tach shows down around idel (1k rpm ish) and that drum roll on both attempted up and now down shifts 1-2.

Thanks for the help!
I will look into this during the week when I get some time. I do the majority of the work on my cars, but have never removed a cowling let alone done work on a bike.

Was doing it again this morning. Zero throttle, clutch handle fully pulled, 30mph, tach shows down around idel (1k rpm ish) and that drum roll on both attempted up and now down shifts 1-2.
any word yet? this crap just happened on my bike this morning (with no drum roll sound) right after a good solid 1hr. rip under 5,500 rpm for break-in. this will be the 3rd to do on my list for repairs. ???

Back