missing second gear??

hemi

Registered
anybody else have the random second gear false shift and pop it into neutral. Seems to happen fairly often on my busa, i try to kick the shifter good every time and preload it most of the time before shifts, but still randomly miss second and into neutral. Of course every time it happens and i go to kick it back into second while rolling it clunks the transmission harder than normal. Just can't figure out why i do this from time to time, 11k miles on the clock. I just need to learn how to ride i guess:rofl: Any tips/tricks from the pros would greatly be appreciated:bowdown:

Weird thing is, when i'm riding pretty aggressively slammin through gears i never miss second. It's just under light to medium acceleration that i randomly miss the shift

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

False neutrals from 1st to 2nd have been a common problem on all three of the Suzukis I have owned. Not sure how old your bike is Hemi...it certainly gets much better as the bike ages and loosens up. You have to be pretty firm with that initial change up.

From an aggressive start or acceleration I usually just bang it into 2nd with out the clutch.
Make sure your revs are up when you miss the shift to avoid the clunk, it seems to help it with smoothing it out.

what rpm do u guys normally shift at for a smooth transaction from 1st to 2nd? I'm normally shiftin all gears at about 4-5k rpms while just puttin around town. Every other gear i can normally shift pretty smooth, but the 1st-2nd shift i am always trying to improve on smoothness of the shift and sometimes have bad days with it

i have had the same issue a few times. usually when i am lazy on the up shift. one piece of advice would be to blip the throttle to alleviate that "clunk" a bit. my bike has a little over 11k as well but has been shifting great after a good flush, push rod scrub, and thread locker on my clutch bolts. no chatter and smooth as a baby's ass. :laugh:

Have you tried making an adjustment to the shift rod? If they're off just a tiny bit it can cause problems with shifting. Just measure the rod before you make any adjustments. Make small adjustments in/out, then go for a short ride to check how it shifts. It can take a little time, but it's worth it. :beerchug:

Back torque limiter adds to the lash,drove me crazy, Brock's 1piece conversion made a real big difference. Only additional things I had to purchase was an input shaft nut and clutch cover gasket.
Posted via Mobile Device

anybody else have the random second gear false shift and pop it into neutral. Seems to happen fairly often on my busa, i try to kick the shifter good every time and preload it most of the time before shifts, but still randomly miss second and into neutral. Of course every time it happens and i go to kick it back into second while rolling it clunks the transmission harder than normal. Just can't figure out why i do this from time to time, 11k miles on the clock. I just need to learn how to ride i guess:rofl: Any tips/tricks from the pros would greatly be appreciated:bowdown:

I had the same issue when I first started getting used to the bike. I would take off hard and around 7K rpms the front end would begin to raise and ZZZZZZIIING!!!! Neutral ??? This happened to a few times before I realized what I was doing. I would let off the throttle a lil to control the height of the front end but I guess I was tensing up and my foot had enough pressure bumping the shifter up in netreul.
Now, I keep full upward pressure on the shifter with my foot and I know I can run up to around 9500 RPMs in first and I barely let off the throttle and 2nd gear instanly and picks the front wheel back up, what an awesome feeling!!
Trying keeping more upward pressure on your shifter in first.

Back