strange problem shifting into 2nd tonight, need help

hemi

Registered
was out ripping on the baby tonight and thought i seriously damaged something. Got on it hard in first up to about 10k, went to slam it into 2nd and slipped shifting or didn't shift hard enough and went to neutral. Hit the rev limiter for just a split second when i slipped it into neutral. Let her come back down to idle for a few seconds (still doing about 50-60mph), went to kick it into 2nd and all of a sudden the motor stalls. Saw the oil light on and thought wtf!! but then saw she wasn't running. Tried to start it a few times while moving and immediately stalled. Coasted to a stop at the side of the road, took about 2 tries to start and it idled horribly like it was gonna die immediately. Revved her up a bit and all came back to normal, rode completely fine after that. What the heck happened? Think i damaged anything? Never experienced this before and don't know what it was. Are the busa tranny's pretty bulletproof as far as missing gears/grinding gears etc

funny, funny. U guys remember me too well. No worries then?? Took it out again tonight and was running and shifting 100% fine, just got a little worried bc this has never happened before.

my guess: engine got starved of oil (when you shifted into neutral) and shutdown (hence the oil light)...failsafe mechanism to prevent damage to the engine.

I was looking into a shift drum that is Neutral all the way down so all shifting is up no more worries about 1st to 2nd just not sure how big of a job it will be.:whistle:

I was looking into a shift drum that is Neutral all the way down so all shifting is up no more worries about 1st to 2nd just not sure how big of a job it will be.:whistle:

was thinking about a slipper clutch...help me not get into a high side

was out ripping on the baby tonight and thought i seriously damaged something. Got on it hard in first up to about 10k, went to slam it into 2nd and slipped shifting or didn't shift hard enough and went to neutral. Hit the rev limiter for just a split second when i slipped it into neutral. Let her come back down to idle for a few seconds (still doing about 50-60mph), went to kick it into 2nd and all of a sudden the motor stalls. Saw the oil light on and thought wtf!! but then saw she wasn't running. Tried to start it a few times while moving and immediately stalled. Coasted to a stop at the side of the road, took about 2 tries to start and it idled horribly like it was gonna die immediately. Revved her up a bit and all came back to normal, rode completely fine after that. What the heck happened? Think i damaged anything? Never experienced this before and don't know what it was. Are the busa tranny's pretty bulletproof as far as missing gears/grinding gears etc

When you hit the rev limiter, it went very lean on the fuel. Then you dropped the throttle, more lean condition. That is why it died. Sometimes it will take a little time to recover from a lean condition. The combustion chambers get very hot. If you miss a shift from 1 to 2, never try to shift it into 2nd while rolling from neutral, slow down to 15-20 mph, then shift into 2nd, then to first gear. These transmissions are good, but not bulletproof........

aussie,
your point also came to mind but was not comfortable splaining it :)

I used to miss 2nd 20 times a day when I first got my Busa. Of course it was my first bike and I just wasn't used to it. But I kill my bike everytime I ride and I've never had transmission issues. I have 12k HARD HARD miles on mine and she's tip top... I think. :whistle:

aussiekeeper; said:
When you hit the rev limiter, it went very lean on the fuel. Then you dropped the throttle, more lean condition. That is why it died. Sometimes it will take a little time to recover from a lean condition. The combustion chambers get very hot. If you miss a shift from 1 to 2, never try to shift it into 2nd while rolling from neutral, slow down to 15-20 mph, then shift into 2nd, then to first gear. These transmissions are good, but not bulletproof........

Aussie is right on the neutral to second not being the best thing on the tranny. Keep in mind the tranny wants to go from first to second. Not neutral to second. Always try to slow down, shift to first, then shift to second.

Back