Pre-load Adj.

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
Im getting ready to head out into the Garage to adjust the Pre-load on the new 1000 lb Spring I just had installed, Its a little stiff and the Bike sits 1" higher than it did before the install.

I want to lower it back down and maybe loosen it up a little, I was told to adjust the rings, Locking ring up then Adjusting ring down until I reached where I wanted it. Then of course locking ring back down.

Is there a special tool to adjust the rings or do you guys have your own thingamajiggers to do it.

And does this sound like its going to work for me.

spanner wrench, make sure and take the weight of the ass end of the bike.

and if you are going to lower it you will have to spin adjusting ring up.

Did you have it revalved when you had it resprung? You can use a hammer and a large punch or screwdriver to spin the rings as well. It isn't as finess as using a spanner wrench, but it works.

If you haven't riden the bike much since you put it on there...it will soften up some in the first month or two...they 'break in' and if you back it off too much now, then you will have to tighten it up later :whistle:

Did you have it revalved when you had it resprung? You can use a hammer and a large punch or screwdriver to spin the rings as well. It isn't as finess as using a spanner wrench, but it works.

Daniel at Cloudnine had a Shock in his shop and installed the spring on it. Not sure if it was revalved or not.

So the rings need to go up ?

That shoukd be easier than down if Im thinking correctly, The pressure is trying to force them up anyway, Correct ???

If you haven't riden the bike much since you put it on there...it will soften up some in the first month or two...they 'break in' and if you back it off too much now, then you will have to tighten it up later :whistle:

Would I be better off just getting a set of Soupys adjustable lowering links and lower the rear another inch. Is has already been lowered 1" with lowering links.

I would ride it first...two up if you can...put some weight AND some miles on it before you adjust it, or change the links :beerchug:

Adjusting the preload will only make minor changes to ride height. The purpose it to get the sag correct so the suspension works properly. If you are trying to make significant ride hight adjustments, then you'll need different links. You'll want to reset the sag after making any other changes. Like BA said, you'll bant to break in the shock/spring combo before tuning.

Adjusting the preload will only make minor changes to ride height. The purpose it to get the sag correct so the suspension works properly. If you are trying to make significant ride hight adjustments, then you'll need different links. You'll want to reset the sag after making any other changes. Like BA said, you'll bant to break in the shock/spring combo before tuning.

Will do guys, I will leave it alone for now, I have only ridden it twice since the new spring and they were short rides.

Thanks Guys

BusaWhipped and BA know their stuff....let me add, make sure you dial up your front suspension as well. It's miserable and even a safety issue to ride with spongy front and stiff rear (compression and rebound damping are issues as well...do a search for good info). And don't hesitate to call Daniel for addl questions, he's awesome.
Raydog

P1000279.JPG

Back