LOWERING LINK OR PRE LOAD ADJUSTMENT

386boy

Registered
My busa by original design sits low, well I have gained a few pounds, about 240+, I have been told to adjust the pre load spring first before I touch my adjustable link, but I am more concerened with wiping out on a high spot in road(again!) what is the best way to adjust the spring? I have the spring wrench and a set of stands, but not sure where to go from there,

busa_2.jpg

Looks like you're stretched. If you want to ride low, there are always consequences. If you don't want to get a new spring to compensate for your stretch and weight, then the only thing you can do is crank down the preload on the stock spring. Keep in mind that cranking down the preload will raise the bike a little bit. I would start with cranking the rings down a few turns and seeing how that works out. If it still feels soft, then adjust it down a little bit more. You may have to raise the links a little too. It all depends. If you have threaded adjustable links, you can adjust those just a little bit. If you've got the 3 hole style, you'll have to do most of your adjustments in the preload. You can also turn up the compression on the shock to help cushion the bike on bumps etc.

Im thinking up? letting pressure of the adjustment collar? i beleive its down now, but that sets how low she sits, so to come up, would raise it I imagine..lol I dont know its been this low for a while, of course I had it in florida where I am from and the streets were more forgiving, the added weight doesnt help, is is stretched so I am willing to give up low for comfort and safety..I ripped the last drain plug right off of there about a month ago, trying to ride around south texas..Horrible!
bump.gif

Back