Can’t fit a wrench in for rear preload

Tetsuo1000

Registered
This is me lifting the back of the bike with a come/along in hopes that it will give me more space to fit my ring tool wrench in to adjust preload. It didn’t work. Do I take the shock out or are you able to adjust preload with it in?

Since you were able to lift the rear you don't have to take the shock off. Just take a flat head or any piece of metal and hammer the rings off and adjust to where you want to. Had to do it like that a few times hahaha

This is me lifting the back of the bike with a come/along in hopes that it will give me more space to fit my ring tool wrench in to adjust preload. It didn’t work. Do I take the shock out or are you able to adjust preload with it in?View attachment 1615988
Ive adjusted mine when on the side stand and on a rear stand, just use a long punch of sorts to break thr lock ring loose but be careful if using a sharp screwdriver or chisel as it will dig into the teeth. I believe I found it easier to adjust from the clutch side.

due to arm bracing the punch method is required on the Bird . Race tech sells the special angle head punch for the job . a 5 lb dead blow makes a good hammer . Squirt some oil lube on the threads as this helps , and the spring where the adjust ring spins . having weight off the bike like it is seen hanging makes the adjustments easier

Thanks for the tips! I will give that a try
Adjust it on the bike so you can get an idea of ride height and the spring rate increase or decrease you need by simply being able to sit on the bike (easily done with kick stand method stated prior). This way you don't have to guess & can try it /adjust till you get the feel wanted.

Back