Power supply instsall

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I did a search and found a few things but not anything about where power is supplied from. Im looking to install a cigarette power adapter to plug in a GPS. Do I just connect to the battery with a fuse inline? Is there a fuse box connection? Electrical is not my speciality, all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
i got a "kit" from Pashnit and it connects directly to the battery and has a fuse inline. it has cigarette and powerlet adapters.

short answer yes, it hooks to the battery.

I will post pics later but that is what I did. I got a power plug at walmart and wired it right to he battrey. I mounted the plug under the seat and just ran the wires up to the front of the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will post pics later but that is what I did. I got a power plug at walmart and wired it right to he battrey. I mounted the plug under the seat and just ran the wires up to the front of the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

this is my setup

plug3.JPG

plug2.JPG

plug1.JPG

Murphs has a fuse block and relay combo that makes wiring easy even for the electricaly challenged like myself. Put one on my Concours and its the cats A$$ for wiring stuff. When the keys off the block is off.

on gen1's there's a brown/white set of wires in the nose that are for accessory power, though I've always done like jwcfbd, run fuzed connection to the battery.

Fused connection to the battery is fine. The most important thing is that anything you add to the electrical system is indeed "fused". How you add it does not matter.

Main index page is here:
:easy: Buy Now: Powerlet Wires & Connectors, SAE, Coax | Pashnit Moto Products

I have one of these - the most universal of wires.
Buy Now: Powerlet Luggage Elextrix Wire Adapters | Pashnit Moto

This gives you an SAE plug, so you can plug anything into that, battery, tender, air compressor, power whatever gadget.

From there, you can buy whatever adapters you think you might need. If you want to hard mount power, post above is the best way to go vs. portable like this.

PKT-001-24_p_348_webl.jpg PAC-026_p_47_webl.jpg

A lot of gadgets though all use the cigarette style, so I used a simple adapter coming off a SAE universal plug coming directly off the battery to the rear.

A wire strippers, some electricians tape, I'm good. :laugh:

PKT-001-24_p_348_webl.jpg

PAC-026_p_47_webl.jpg

not anything about where power is supplied from. Im looking to install a cigarette power adapter to plug in a GPS.

Tim, for your specific example, you didn't say the brand you have, but does Powerlet make a power wire for your brand of GPS?

Buy Now: Garmin GPS Wire Adapters Powerlet Products | Pashnit Moto

If no, but you have a cigarette lighter adapter as your power source, than it'd probably make the most sense to install your cig lighter power outlet in the plastics somewhere on the bike - dash or rear tail section - if you'd like to go that route.

Lot of ways to solve this, you just have to figure out which of the two examples above you'd like to follow.

PPC-001_p_190_webl.jpg

PPC-001_p_190_webl.jpg

Fuse close to bat/supply, cover or insulate exposed terminals. I was in a car on I 64 into Norfolk, with a new tech who didnt fuse a 16 ga. wire that ran along under the car dash and it hit ground. Smoke poured out under the entire dash + ensuing drama at 70mph. Yee-ha.

Last edited:
Pashnit, last night my wife officially called my BKing a "money pit". That was after she asked how much the bar end mirrors cost. Of course I was horrified when she said that. But, I try not to spend extra money on it, but the bikes don't come ready to ride properly from the factory. If I could influence the factories, the bikes would all be better for American sizing (long legs) and have accessory power plugs (even all the GSXRs etc.) and have an optional real wide and tall windshield from the dealer. Plus stock shock springs would be set for 200lb riders instead of the 165 pound settings of today. I should work for Suzuki........ a 1340 Busa engine in a 600 frame......:cheerleader:

Back