GiPro gear indicator 12v wiring question!

88turborx7

Registered
I haven't had any trouble installing my GiPro gear indicator up until step 9 where it says "Connect GiPro RED wire to a switched +12V wire. e.g. at the fuse box. Use the RED wire tap connector supplied." It says you can also connect straight to the battery but do disconnect if not used for 3 weeks or more. I am not interested in this option and want to use the tap connector but do not know how or where to connect it to. The wire is not long enough to reach the fuse box so i assume i have to splice into some other wire which is 12V coming from the fuse box?

I have the GIPro w/ATRE model GIPRO-S02 and the step 9 instructions are different. There is nothing in the instructions I received that says anything about connecting to a switched power.

As far a switched power source, there is a unused connector in the front cowling (nose). The connector is only used on bikes sold in Euro markets where there are additional lights required. I believe that it is a switch power source.

Last edited:
I have the GIPro w/ATRE model GIPRO-S02 and the step 9 instructions are different. There is nothing in the instructions I received that says anything about connecting to a switched power.

As far a switched power source, there is a unused connector in the front cowling (nose). The connector is only used on bikes sold in Euro markets where there are additional lights required. I believe that it is a switch power source.

Strange, I have the Gipro w/ATRE model S02 as well and that is exactly what my instructions say. I don't want to connect it to the battery because it says "disconnect the wire if you don't intend to ride the bike over 3 weeks, otherwise the battery may lose charge."

I have mine connected straight to the battery as well, and if she sits for longer than 3 weeks, the battery will drain down. The reason you want to keep it on a constant hot source is so the GiPro will keep the setting you choose. If you connect it to a switched source, you will have to reset the program by pressing the red button on the bottom of the display every time you start the bike. I need to move mine to a switched source because I dont use the Atre feature, just the gear indicator.

I cut mine off and spliced a piece of wire and tapped the battery directly.

The reason I don't want to connect to the battery is that I don't use the bike all that much...for the moment anyway. And it seems to be a pain in the %^& to have to remove the seat each time to attach/remove the red power wire from the battery. My red tap connector is not connected to the wire out of the box. It is a small red clip that closes once a wire is inserted into it (I think). Here's a pic.

100_3790.jpg

get a battery tender and run the connector down the side so you can just plug up the tender without removing the seat...thats what I do.

Looks like you're missing the metal piece that bridges the connection.
79103.jpg

The wire you're tapping into goes in the slot on the left of the pictured connector, the wire from the GIPro goes in the slot on the right. Once you have the wires in place, insert the metal bridge and apply pressure to it so it'll cut through the wire's insulation and allow the top of the connector to close and click into place.

Last edited:
OK, here's da deal. I have the same instructions you do, with the statement to connect it to switched power. If you want to connect it to switched power, you have to run a wire all the way to the fuse panel as a previous post indicated, OR run a wire back to your tail light and splice in there. Seeing they are both minor PITAs, I decided to just run mine to the battery like everyone else. The thing is to get yourself a battery tender and keep it on the bike when you're not using it. The Busa battery will go down anyway, even without the GIPRO on because of other things running, such as the clock, etc.
From my understanding as a computer tech and reading my instructions, the GIPRO will NOT lose it's settings if disconnected from the power lines. I believe the settings are held in EAROM, (Electrically Alterable Read Only Memory. So there you have it. Good luck and enjoy your GIPRO. I love mine.!! :beerchug:

Can someone explain the benefits of this device other than the gear indicator. I don't get out riding with other people too much so thus is why I'm asking this dumb question. thanks for your responses.

Can someone explain the benefits of this device other than the gear indicator. I don't get out riding with other people too much so thus is why I'm asking this dumb question. thanks for your responses.
There's nothing to explain: it does exactly what you think it does.
There is also a version with an ATRE, which overrides the limiters on the Busa, meaning you can go over 186mph.

The wire is not long enough to reach the fuse box so i assume i have to splice into some other wire which is 12V coming from the fuse box?

I have the GIpro w/ATRE. My mechanic said that I needed to splice into a wire that would only be active when the bike was turned on, so you should be able to find something to tap into, e.g. the "hot" wire of your license plate light.

I know this won't be very helpful to you, but my Stebel airhorn was installed with a Relay, and I simply connected my GIpro to that Relay.

Last edited:
Back