Power loss and shut off.

zer0gh0st

Registered
I was riding at about 4-5k in third gear and boom speedo down to 0. I pulled in the clutch and when I gave it a little gas the bike shut down and oil light came on. Pulled over put it in neutral. Started back up just fine, then a mile down the road same thing. I believe it was at about the same speed/rpms. Any ideas? It has done this before but now that it has happened again I'm thinking it's not just a hick up and is more serious.

I was riding at about 4-5k in third gear and boom speedo down to 0. I pulled in the clutch and when I gave it a little gas the bike shut down and oil light came on. Pulled over put it in neutral. Started back up just fine, then a mile down the road same thing. I believe it was at about the same speed/rpms. Any ideas? It has done this before but now that it has happened again I'm thinking it's not just a hick up and is more serious.

do a charging system check and check your battery.. if the cluster is shutting off before its shutting down its usually extremely low voltage shutting it off... when you start it back up does it crank fast or slow?

Not sure, need to read your post again, but check that side stand switch brother :thumbsup:

Well, the whole cluster doesn't go down just the speedometer. Clock and everything is good. The last time this happened the bike didn't shut off so I figured she just had a brainfart and the needle went back to normal so I rode home. This time it shut off. It started back up as normal. Ill do both and let you guys know what I find. I've worked on all my bikes fairly in depth and never had this happen. It figures too cause I just bought new fairings. Thanks for the replies I should be able to check it out later on this evening.

Well, the whole cluster doesn't go down just the speedometer. Clock and everything is good. The last time this happened the bike didn't shut off so I figured she just had a brainfart and the needle went back to normal so I rode home. This time it shut off. It started back up as normal. Ill do both and let you guys know what I find. I've worked on all my bikes fairly in depth and never had this happen. It figures too cause I just bought new fairings. Thanks for the replies I should be able to check it out later on this evening.

Kick stand switch won't cause that. Best of luck.

My08 busa did this a few weeks after i purchased it in oct 2007...I called the dealer and had them come get it..it was a wiring harness problem and it was actually a recall issue.

Back