Power Commander with full system?

busa clubslinger

Registered
Hi fellow speed freaks. I'm debating the system to buy for my impending busa purchase. I want to buy a full system, does the single sided exhaust throw off the balance at all? And I've been told some people are not happy with the power commander? What has been your experience with Power Commander? Is there a better system to use?

Thanks for the help.

I've never heard anyone say they were unhappy with the power commander. How much you lookin to spend?

I haven't felt any balance issues and the single sided will be a little lighter than duals. Depending on the system you might not require anything. You're showing Gen II pix, the Gen II ECU is improved over the Gen I and comes with an O2 sensor. Some systems out there don't improve HP or only make up to 4 HP difference. For those systems you could throw the pipe on it put the O2 sensor in the bung and ride on forever.

If you get a performance system you'll need to buy a PC and download a base map or have a tuner unleash the ECU and dyno tune it.

There's other systems out there like bazazz, but there's been some failures. The benefit is the bazazz gives you complete control over the Gen II where the PC only handles the primaries.

Ultimately you should have your bike tuned by a professional.

Thanks, here is my debate. I sold my '08 in the summer. I'm buying a red 2014 (at a very good price of 13,099) and the dealer said they can install a full R77 Yoshi system with Power commander 5, tuned for 1,700.00. Which is also a pretty fair deal. I'm just wondering if the Power Commander is the right way to go with the full Yoshi system here. Thoughts??

From memory that's a 4 RWHP system according to the yosh site a few years ago. $1700 does that include the pipe ? I haven't researched any of this in a long time but the bazazz unit use to run about double the PC. $400 for PC $800 for the bazazz. Does the dealer have a dyno ? If not they're just using a base map from dynojet IMO

In my simple opinion a Power commander is a total waste of $$$. The PC platform is not beyond failing and it certainly does on occasions more numerous than one may think.

We tune all our race bikes with ECU Editor and leave the PC where it belongs, at the factory!

I installed a full titanium M4exhaust system on my 08 Busa when it was new and gained 7 HP (Which is not enough to be noticeable to the throttle hand). Never tweaked the OEM map and the beast has performed exceptionally well (Trouble free) since.

Yes, that's including the full system. It's a very good deal!

You may want to rethink that? If your dealer is not going to dyno tune your bike then you don't have a tune, you have a generic map.

From my experience, the dealer is the last place I would go for either a suspension tune or engine tune.

Yes, Tuf, you are correct, it would be a generic map for sure. So are you saying it would be fine to go with the full Yoshi exhaust without a PC or tune? Just stock maps?

Wouldn't you have major lean spots if you didn't tune it and just ran a full system? Could make for a jerky ride.

That's what that 02 sensor in your exhaust does for you without the help of a PC.

I installed a quality full exhaust (M4) on my Gen II when it still smelled new. Ran a HP pull and immediately installed the new exhaust and ran another HP pull within two hours. The fuel map did not change and neither did the F/A ratio. It ran great with the OEM map and still runs great today five years later.

If it were me, I'd put whatever choice exhaust system I liked (My choice is M4) on and ride the wheels off that puppy! Personally, I wouldn't bother with the header pipes, I'd buy a single side exhaust can & mid-pipe and call it good. No one is going to see the headers and new headers aren't going to change the HP nor the way it rides by any noticeable amount.

Yes, that's including the full system. It's a very good deal!

Its not that good of a deal when I can sell you a full brock system and a pc3 or 5 and you make more power and put a few dollars in your pocket. If you financing the 1700 in your payment it will equate to about turbo money in the end of the contract. People lie numbers don't.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it! Wasn't going to finance the pipes but that's OK. Tuff I do like your idea about just getting the pipes on there and calling it good, I don't like the idea of changing the maps with the PC but I could always do the ECU editor or something later. I am still a little concerned about the side exhaust causing an imbalance in a wheelie but I suppose you wouldn't notice, and I like the yosh over the Brocks, sorry Goldenchild. Also, I now have the bike down to 13,000. Man I miss having a bike, need to do this soon for my sanity!! :)

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it! Wasn't going to finance the pipes but that's OK. Tuff I do like your idea about just getting the pipes on there and calling it good, I don't like the idea of changing the maps with the PC but I could always do the ECU editor or something later. I am still a little concerned about the side exhaust causing an imbalance in a wheelie but I suppose you wouldn't notice, and I like the yosh over the Brocks, sorry Goldenchild. Also, I now have the bike down to 13,000. Man I miss having a bike, need to do this soon for my sanity!! :)

Honestly, I'm disturbed by the numbers you're throwing out here. I haven't shopped Busas in a little while, but I think you're giving away a lot of money with the prices you're talking about.

Unless you're just completely attached to a 2014, you should be able to save a ton of money by shopping around and picking up a new 2013 instead. You could probably even save enough to cover the price of a full exhaust. The only difference would be the paint job and the amount of principal and interest you have to shell out.

Just sayin'... CLICK ME!

I've got a carbon r77 full system for sale. Overall great condtion. $600. I'd go with the ecu editor.

I have the exact setup as Tuf- 08 with M4 full exhaust which was put on shortly after purchasing in 08. ECU has not been touched....runs like a champ with no issues. No imbalance to note.

Wheelie imbalance with single sided exhaust...no way!
Weight loss noticeable in handling/cornering...definitely!
Power Commander base map...useless.
A good dyno tune with a Power Commander, sure, but the cost of a PC will(or almost)pay for an Ecu Editor dyno tune...and Ecu Ed can do so much more.
$1700 for a full Yosh and a PC is a ripoff. That's northern VA, DC. Maryland pricing for ya. 14k for the bike is outta sight too.
Drive 3 of 4 hrs south and you'de get the bike, PC, and exhaust out the door for $13k.

I looked to purchase a brand new 'busa in Decmber. Stealership asking $14,000 for a 2013....in come the 2014's 30 days later...2013 for $12,000...2012, no miles, now $10,500.... I think you're paying too much for the time of year you're looking. Great incentives out there. Take your time. You'll make a better deal.

Back