Powdercoating exhaust?

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I don't have a black frame but I am still toying with the idea of powdercoating my exhaust.

Does the exhaust get to hot for powdercoating, don't want the stuff flaking off or anything.

Or is there a special high temp coating that will work?

Isn't there some ceramic based coating?

Lastly, how do you think Celine would look with PC exhaust?

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to go with a ceramic coating.  Most of them are rated for 1300F.
There is a slight color break in from the heat, then after that, it looks good for the life of your bike.
You should send out any other parts you want done as well, it's more cost effective.  I would ceramic coat the heel guard on your rearsets, due to the fact you're boot is constantly rubbing on it.  Powdercoat or anodizing will wear right out/off.

I was thinking ceramic would be the way to go...now I just gotta find someone to do it
crazy.gif

Jet hot coating is the way to go if you want black!

Ceramic only.

Epoxy powder coating hold fine on factory midpipes. They are 2 layers of metal with baffle in them, not too hot for mids. Yours getting too hot for powdercoating.

yes...colors are an option .... the few things I like about the HPCs are they are thinner coatings and still take the lead on heat dissipation....polish/cleanup well ....
can be matte or gloss ....several different colors ...and they handle the heat cycles a little "better" IMO.

it's all subjective...everyone is going to have their own likes...and it will depend on who you want to deal with.

Well it's definately a go  
super.gif
. I was very impressed with HPC and the Jet coatings. Kinda deciding between the two...

HPC showed a heat reduction of 56%...WOW.

I'd love to dump the wrap, smells like arse when it gets wet anyway.

I hate the thought of taken the HMFs off  
crazy.gif
 and not riding for a couple weeks between shipping and turnaround time...be worth it though.

(Justyntym @ Jun. 03 2007,15:19)I don't have a black frame but I am still toying with the idea of powdercoating my exhaust.

Does the exhaust get to hot for powdercoating, don't want the stuff flaking off or anything.

Or is there a special high temp coating that will work?

Isn't there some ceramic based coating?

Lastly, how do you think Celine would look with PC exhaust?

Do not pwder coat the exhaust unless you want to do it over again. I do it on dump pipes but do 3 or 4 at a time. The heat will crack the coating after some high hot runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also depeding on the color you may be a ble to use engine paint or wood stove paint.

Talk to Buswhipped (Denis). Here's a PM I saved when I asked him about the ceramic he put on his stock cans:

"But in a nutshell, I used ceramic based engine enamel in a rattle can. Temp wise, there is no problem with this, the mids and cans do not top 500*. You can get 1200* if you want to be on the safe side. Normal prep work for painting as far as ruffing up the surface. I did not prime as I could not find high temp primer, but it hasn't been a problem with the engine paint. The ceramic paint is much tougher than normal auto paint, but you will get some stone chips in it along the way if you ride it. If you put a graphic on the can, cover the can in high temp clear."

(Justyntym @ Jun. 04 2007,14:47) Well it's definately a go
super.gif
. I was very impressed with HPC and the Jet coatings. Kinda deciding between the two...

crazy.gif
and not riding for a couple weeks between shipping and turnaround time...be worth it though.
Do it mid feb. of 08. Winter mod
laugh.gif

(dadofthree @ Jun. 04 2007,14:42)
(Justyntym @ Jun. 04 2007,14:47) Well it's definately a go  
super.gif

crazy.gif
Do it mid feb. of 08. Winter mod  
laugh.gif
I'm in FLORIDA...What's a winter Mod
tounge.gif

if you want the HPC...I had mine back in one week...I can work with you on getting the parts back and forth ....

the same offer I made when I posted the original thread on HPC last year.

Back