Pot Hole equals two bent wheels!!!!

itsyasoldier

Registered
So the a few weeks ago I was leaving work on the same route I always take. Came around the corner to take the on ramp to the highway and accelerated a little hard and then out of nowhere a huge pothole takes me by surprise. It was probably 20 inches across. Nothing I could do but hold the hell on. I for sure thought I was going over the handle bars. It hit so hard it knocked the bike into neutral. I came across the other side wandering how I made it across and pulled over immediately. Didn't notice any damage at first so slowly drove down the rode to see if there where any vibrations. I didn't notice any at all so I drove home like normal. Even at all speeds there still isn't any vibrations. Well today I was washing the bike and noticed a bent spot on each wheel. And now my front tire has a small lump right above the bent spot. :banghead: Nobody would happen to have a spare set of black wheels they would sell for a good price. And how dangerous do you think it would be to continue to ride. I have ridden several hundred miles already with them like this with no problems.

The rim wouldn't get any worse,but the rubber... well if it got a bubble, I wouldn't ride like that. Motorcycles are no fun with a tire blowout while driving down the road.

+1 if you have a bubble chances are the ply's are jacked up. A tire blow out is now very likely and a crash is also possible.. I wouldn't chance running it around town, maybe just straight to the tire shop.... if its not very far or doesn't involve highways.. be cautious, if you do blow out, its prolly going to be while you are carving out a turn in the road.

I have an extra set of 08 golds if you are interested just pm me.

I have an extra set of 08 golds if you are interested just pm me.

appreciate it but the gold does not do anything for me at all. wonder how much it would be to powder coat them. or how hard it would be to just paint them.
what would you take for them.

Ugh! well that sux. I feel your pain as I did the same thing a few years ago. Had both rims replaced along with the rubber. Sold the bent rims to a local shop who claimed they could straighten them. ??? They probably sold them to some unsuspecting fool.

Powder coating would cost about $50 per rim.
I would not trust any fix on a bent rim and just get new ones.

Dont know if it matter but its actually just the lip that is bent. I will try and take pics later so yall can get a better idea. I know that buying new ones would definately be better but man I dont have the money right now. thank god its almost winter and it wont bother me as bad to have to wait a little while to get new ones. Im sure if im going to get new ones I will probably just go with some chrome ones from performance cycle.

They can be repaired. I would drive by the pothole and take a picture of it and the surrounding area. Present the pictures to the city or county for an insurance claim, they do have insurance for pothole damage. Take pictures of the damage also..........

So the a few weeks ago I was leaving work on the same route I always take. Came around the corner to take the on ramp to the highway and accelerated a little hard and then out of nowhere a huge pothole takes me by surprise. It was probably 20 inches across. Nothing I could do but hold the hell on. I for sure thought I was going over the handle bars. It hit so hard it knocked the bike into neutral. I came across the other side wandering how I made it across and pulled over immediately. Didn't notice any damage at first so slowly drove down the rode to see if there where any vibrations. I didn't notice any at all so I drove home like normal. Even at all speeds there still isn't any vibrations. Well today I was washing the bike and noticed a bent spot on each wheel. And now my front tire has a small lump right above the bent spot. :banghead: Nobody would happen to have a spare set of black wheels they would sell for a good price. And how dangerous do you think it would be to continue to ride. I have ridden several hundred miles already with them like this with no problems.
I've heard in some states you can contact the city/county and they'll fix the damage the pothole did.

You are lucky,In Florida we get these :laugh:

sinkhole.jpg

I had a similar situation in a church parking lot, but I hit a curb (5" step up), broke the front wheel and bent the back. I had no choice but to replace I found, after searching all of ebay, without good wheels to trade in chrome wheels were only about $50 bucks more. Your very lucky you didn't go down, I was in a parking lot doing about 15mph for mine and I went down. Maybe its your bike giving you a hint for an upgrade:poke: Good luck and post pics of the new wheels :thumbsup:

There are shops that can repair your wheels. It's not a big deal.

Back