Riding on a slightly bent fork

SANDFLEA85

Registered
I slightly bent a fork when i had my little crash about 6 weeks ago,its so slight you cant tell by looking at it directly but you notice when the wheel is straight the grips are off its more obvious when you look down at the tree and you can see one side is closer to the tank then the other and when you straight up the bars you can then see the tire is off to the left...how bad is it to driv like this esp at speeds over 100mph....i will replace eventually but new is pretty costly and the ones on fleebay are either not silver or are bent themselves,which brings me to another question...why would anybody buy a bent fork??

Devldog, PM me, I just came up with a very low use set of silver fork tubes for sale. Raydog

front_fork_swap014.JPG

Is the fork bent or did it just tweek(slip) in the triple-tree, throwing it out of alinement? You can losen the t-t bolts and try swinging the fr. wheel back inline. Or slide the bad one out and check it? just a thought

(fasttoys1 @ Jun. 12 2007,17:03) Is the fork bent or did it just tweek(slip) in the triple-tree, throwing it out of alinement? You can losen the  t-t bolts and try swinging the fr. wheel back inline. Or slide the bad one out and check it?  just a thought
whay do you mean by "tweak" like maybe one got pushed up higher then the other?? they are lowered 2".im gonna go ck it out bro...thanks for the idea

(DEVLDOG @ Jun. 12 2007,17:13)
(fasttoys1 @ Jun. 12 2007,17:03) Is the fork bent or did it just tweek(slip) in the triple-tree, throwing it out of alinement? You can losen the  t-t bolts and try swinging the fr. wheel back inline. Or slide the bad one out and check it?  just a thought
whay do you mean by "tweak" like maybe one got pushed up higher then the other?? they are lowered 2".im gonna go ck it out bro...thanks for the idea
he means....they can twist in the triple tree, leading one to believe that they are bent. Basically.....you need an alignment, if you're lucky and didn't bent them.

DD

I've found that even new Busa's don't have the forks perfectly straight. I restraightened mine. I loosened the clamps and stood at the front facing the bike with the front tire between my ankles and then i adjusted it by turning the handle bars to whatever side it needed. You'll need to eyeball it when sitting on the bike. When i was a BMX'er, i was real anal about the front tire and handlebars being straight. Same with my Busa.

I would think that riding compromised equipment, even "just a little tweak" at speed would be like having sex with a woman with "just a little wart".

I would generally advise against it.

I have never done either, by the way
all_coholic.gif

(Devil Dog @ Jun. 12 2007,17:21)
he means....they can twist in the triple tree, leading one to believe that they are bent.  Basically.....you need an alignment, if you're lucky and didn't bent them.

DD
if it wasnt alligned shouldnt i feel some vibration?? I dont feel anything at all?it rides smooth... I'll try loosening the clamps and see if that does anything...can i loosen both at the same time without dropping it on the fender or do one at a time???

(DEVLDOG @ Jun. 13 2007,16:42)
he means....they can twist in the triple tree, leading one to believe that they are bent.  Basically.....you need an alignment, if you're lucky and didn't bent them.

DD
if it wasnt alligned shouldnt i feel some vibration?? I dont feel anything at all?it rides smooth... I'll try loosening the clamps and see if that does anything...can i loosen both at the same time without dropping it on the fender or do one at a time???
not always.....you could be out-of-alignment and not feel it.

(Ken02busa @ Jun. 12 2007,19:41) I would think that riding compromised equipment, even "just a little tweak" at speed would be like having sex with a woman with "just a little wart".

I would generally advise against it.

I have never done either, by the way  
all_coholic.gif
good advice...funny too
laugh.gif

(Devil Dog @ Jun. 13 2007,16:44)

DD
Thanks,thats all it was,as soon as i loosened the top tree clamp it almost instantly wanted to go back to being straight,a little persuation and she is dead center again......Thanks again fellas,I was ready to buy some new forks!!!!

Well it's music to my ears to hear the bike was modded... as I felt like ripping into the technician that pdi'ed the bike... as a honda tech we take pre delivery pretty serious and on a 180+mph machine I hope they do to...
all_coholic.gif

(DEVLDOG @ Jun. 13 2007,17:47)
(Devil Dog @ Jun. 13 2007,16:44)

DD
Thanks,thats all it was,as soon as i loosened the top tree clamp it almost instantly wanted to go back to being straight,a little persuation and she is dead center again......Thanks again fellas,I was ready to buy some new forks!!!!
thats awesome Devil.
cool.gif

I have had forks on a bike i had rebuit Straightened at a maching shop. Worked great...Granted it was a 78' KZ650

Back