Fork Alignement Question

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, I picked up a ZX12 after being wrecked and I need to align the forks before selling it.
I was wondering if anyone knows a decent way to align and measure the forks to make sure they are straight. right now the bike steers a little to the left to keep her straight and I cannot figure out how to straighten it up.

The forks are not bent but I can see that it appears like one fork is further fwd than the other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, here is what one member recommendedif you have a clamp stand, loosen up the clamps, but not enough to turn the tubes by hand; then spin the front wheel and grab the brake, should line them up...

While supporting the front end, either with couple pairs of hands, or a stem stand. Loosen fork clamps, and if its tweaked you may hear it "snap" back into alignment once the pressure is removed. For P.O.M. spin the wheel as mentioned above.

How are certain the forks are not bent?

One way to check, is to remove front wheel, loosen the clamps, slide one fork all the way out of the top clamp, and the gently slide back into top, if there is resistance probably bent. Also roll the round portion on flat glass, but many forks are tapered making this technique a PITA unless you disassemble them.

GL with it.

Charlie

beerchug.gif

Back