Destroying rear wheels!

Mikey D

Registered
I have an '02 Busa and have gone through 2 rear wheels in less than a year, actually since last March!  The first one cracked and separated along the bead for about 5”.  I just noticed a large bend in the second one.  Its not like I take it off roading.  It may have been from a pothole a few days ago however air pressure was at 38 psi; I checked it after I saw the bent rim.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  These things are not supposed to be disposable, are they?

I've not had any trouble like that. My understanding is that the rims are pretty tough. I think it's fair to say you are having some bad luck. Sorry, dude.

Ah yes, the hazards of motocrossing your Busa..........

The rims are supposed to be overkill and I know they are extra heavy compared to the GSXR 600/750/1000. Since the bikes are about the same weight (+-80 lbs.) You shouldn't be able to bend them without really trying. Maybe the second one was bent before you bought it and you just now noticed???

Thinking a little more on this, How could you bend the rear without bending the front? I mean if you hit a pot hole hard enough to bend a rear rim the front would be bent or broken first. It takes the first hit and is lighter in construction that the rear. Wouldn't it have to hit the hole first? (Presuming you are not wheeliein') I would also think that hitting a hole hard enough to bend a rim sould first cause your nuts to dent the tank? You would remember that.

I would guess the shop installed a used or new bent rim by mistake.

I agree with SierraFlyer. The front should have hit hard also, unless I was on the gas hard (very likely) in which case it would have floated over the hole and caused the rear to hit even harder.  The crater I am thinking of is from a missing steel plate over a RR crossing (flat street crossing, no hump).  I purchased the second wheel off of ebay ($232 w/shipping) and inspected it very thoroughly before installing it, so I know it wasn’t bent.  It went on with a brand spanking new 208.  I ride with the full 41 psi, and checked it after I noticed the dent, 38 psi (may be attributed to change in ambient air temp as I live in AZ & it was 110 when installed a month ago, and only about 90 when later checked)
Maybe like FLCN72 says, just bad luck.
:cussing:
Any other ideas?

Ya don't pop or bounce curbs do ya? A rider I know used to park up on the sidewalk at supermarkets, movie theaters & such. He would just ride off the side... he went through several wheels.

I purchased the second wheel off of ebay ($232 w/shipping) and inspected it very thoroughly before installing it, so I know it wasn’t bent.   Any other ideas?
ebay huh....

you inspected it carefully . You thru it up on a balancer or similar , and checked its roundness side to side , and also top to bottom(for that egg shape) with a dial run-out indicator?

That would be the only way to garantee its roundness.

Did you buy it from a shop , or a private deal ? New or Used ?

If it was used....maybe think about why someone would want to sell their wheel . I mean , I need both of the ones I have , if you know what I mean . I just cant see the factory pumping out warped wheels . USUALLY, if the first forging is straight , so is the 17,659th .

Just a guess , I think you might be a victim of Ebay more than you are a victim of poor manufacturing .

hav a good 1.....RSD.

I definitely don't pop curbs.
And yes, one of my former students (I teach Auto Shop) is the service manager at the local Suzie dealer so I did throw it up on a balancer and check for round and true.  The wheel was fine when I installed it.
I don't think it was poor manufacturing any more than any other Suzie wheel out there.  I have been riding street bikes for 20 years and this is the first instance of damaging wheels I have encountered. I'm going to try to post a picture of the two wheels.
Any more ideas?

R_Wheel_1.jpg

This is the wheel currently on the bike. Sorry about the dirt, I live off of a dirt road and it is nearly impossible to keep it clean.
Going camping Ya’ll. Will respond Monday.
Ride Safe!
:super:

R_Wheel_2.jpg

I bent mine exactly like the one in the lower picture........course, I hit a 4" rock at 140klms an hour.
You musta hit something to bend it that bad.
Suggestion.........don't hit objects on road. :super:  :tounge:

I bent mine exactly like the one in the lower picture........course, I hit a 4" rock at 140klms an hour.
You musta hit something to bend it that bad.
Suggestion.........don't hit objects on road. :super:  :tounge:
Did that bend both rims? Or just the rear? I'm thinking that the front would not be carrying as much weight, especially if you were accelerating when you hit the pothole. Nothing like this has happened to me... yet *knock on wood*

Hey Mikey D, You might want to examine that chain. The link right above the dent in your rim looks kinked. Might be nothing but it look suspicious. Check your srocket for hooking too.

That rim is definately a point impact. And you would have to be blind not to notice that before install. It looks like you just ran your bad luck on wheels for a while. I've hit some holes hard and nothing bad happened. Did your teeth fall out on that hit?

this is just my .02 and some of you may not go along with it but you said you are running 41 psi. thats alot of pressure, tires probably feel hard as a rock. then take in account you live in a hot climate so when the tires get hot after riding it adds even more psi. the rims are going to have a ton of pressure on them already, then when you hit a hard bump or pothole the tires dont give way at all so all the pressure goes straight to the rim and cracks it or screws it up like yours. i run about 32-34 psi cold (before riding). then if i hit a hard bump or hole, the tires will give a little and absorb most of the force before it goes to the rim. like i said, thats just my .02, i could be wrong.

Like Smoking said, I use lower pressure too. 34 PSI is normal for me on the street, 30-32 on the track. I used to run the BT-56s at 40-41 becasue the sidewall roll was freekin me.

Thanks SierraFlyer for the sharp eyes.  I have heard horror stories about Busa snapping chains.  
As for the pressure...
The current mind set is the pressure is checked cold. (of course)  Lowering the pressure will allow the tire to flex more, thus heating up more and raising the pressure.  In addition, the higher pressure will keep the rim from sustaining damage as it will keep the tire from pinching and allowing the object hit to contact the rim.  Just like on a dirtbike, higher pressure in rocky areas and lower in softer/sandy areas.
I'm getting the feeling that this is an unusual occurance & I've just had some bad luck.  The crater encountered is on the way to my second job (all school teachers must have a 2nd job! :D ).  I'll try to remember the camera tomorrow.

Anyone have info on aftermarket wheels? Or should this be a new thread?

Back