post homeinspection problem

All's I can say is that your hired home inspector is "Not your friend" after he gets paid? Dont believe me?
Tell him you got a problem, and ask him when the check will be sent for the repairs...
This I cant wait to see!! :whistle:

Don't know about Oaklahoma but in SC that would be on the contractor. Shoddy work is covered for 9 years in SC, and that's definetly shoddy work. I would call the State and the contractor / realtor.

thank u everybody. Your help and help from other friends and family keep me from losing my mind. The inspector and re agent are cordial and understanding as am I. Stuff happens and with something like this everybody loses somewhat. The inspector is gonna cut me a check for a grand. State farm is coming monday and will give me the money to replace the entire laminate throughout the house minus the deductible which is a grand. So hopefully a week from today this will all be over and I'll have a brand new floor of my choice. Maybe even some money left over to help pay for a brand new water heater with correct installation. This has been a learning experience for me and i honestly can not thank u enough.
michael

Good to hear that we dont have to rip into the guy...and that all seems to have worked out for the better. In turn, since tghe guys seems to be a stand up business owner you should commend him to the regulatory board that licensed him.

Also a way to get it "on record" for any future...em.. lapses:whistle:

Glad it worked out just the same bro

Hope it works out the way you want it. This is typical of anything that's new. House, car, bike, etc. Take a deep breath and enjoy new home ownership :laugh: Just wait :laugh:

thank u everybody. Your help and help from other friends and family keep me from losing my mind. The inspector and re agent are cordial and understanding as am I. Stuff happens and with something like this everybody loses somewhat. The inspector is gonna cut me a check for a grand. State farm is coming monday and will give me the money to replace the entire laminate throughout the house minus the deductible which is a grand. So hopefully a week from today this will all be over and I'll have a brand new floor of my choice. Maybe even some money left over to help pay for a brand new water heater with correct installation. This has been a learning experience for me and i honestly can not thank u enough.
michael

"EXCELLENT !!!!" and as BA would say......:thumbsup:

I bought my first home. So far i love it. Last night i got home from work around one am and noticed water in the hallway. Turns out the tp valve on the hot water heater was malfunctioning. There is a pipe that allows water to b released and caught in a catch pan/tray. This tray has drain so if it overflows it drains outside. (i'm sure most of u know this. i on the other hand still have alot to learn). Well the pan was uneven and the drain on the high side of the tray. Clearly water can't drain up, it must go down. So it overflows possibly b4 and certainly during my 12 hour shift at work. Now about half of the laminate wood must be replaced. There was no mention of this during my home inspection. Both plumbers, a friend, and I can clearly see he drain can not work. I have a thousand dollar deductible with State Farm. I would like the inspection company to pay this. I have missed work today, paid the plumber 75, home depot 2 hun. Had I know about this issue I would have addressed it prior to buying the home last wednesday. This is stressful for me any advice would be appreciated
michael
here are a couple pics

Just a couple of real quick items to note:

It looks like the HWT is installed in an elevated area along with the central heating and A/C unit. It also appears that both units use natural gas as a source of heating energy. There are several principals of proper engineering that hopefully are in place, not counting the ones missed by your 'inspector'. The combustion process requires the proper amount of draught or 'air movement' be available for each unit to work effiecently. Hopefully this is provided by some type of venting on the door or located within the small storage area. If your new home is air tight, there must be an outside air source to allow for proper draught.

The pan below the tank serves as an attempt to deal with failure of the HWT. One failure could occur in the valve that regulates the 'on/off' function of the heating unit. Should the valve fail, the heating unit in the tank could stay in the 'on' position, eventually causing the water in the tank to boil. Liquids usually expand, and expand rapidly, when they become a gas. Such is the case when water becomes steam. The saftey valve located either near the top or in the top of the tank will open or 'pop off' releasing the pressure building up in the tank. In turn steam and hot water are discharged from the valve. Most often a pipe is attached to the valve and plumbed in a way so as to direct the flow of the discharge safely away from the tank.

Certain conditions, including humidity, water quality, and proper maintenance, will influence the perfomance of a HWT and, under ideal circumstances, should last 25 to 30 years. Typically, a hot water tank will fail when corrosion eating through the tank creates little pin holes in the tank, typically at the bottom. This type of tank failure very rarely results in a sudden gush of water, but will allow water to begin to seep from the tank. The shallow pans are placed under the tank in hopes the home owner will see the water in the pan and address the failed unit before it becomes a major catastrophe.

From your picture, the drain system for the pan totally sucks and couldn't be recognized as serving much, if any purpose, other than giving someone justification to charge for the initial install.

It would be good to consult a good professional plumber to see to it the unit is installed properly along with all accessories. Given the circumstances, I would have a mechanical contractor come and inspect the little 'mechanical room' for proper size and function. And I would suggest that since this has escalated from the point it has, the realtor should stand the bill for both.

Anyway, welcome to the world of the homeowner. I wish your circumstances were different and it looks like you have a good support system here on the org! I hope this adds to all the help and good advice you have already been given. Congratulations and good luck!!

glad to see the state farm responding quick, that is a plus.:thumbsup:
my old insurance company " nationwide":moon: they never came to inspect my house becuase of hurricane ike last september. i finally changed them to state farm in january 09!

Back