post homeinspection problem

teamorion22

Registered
I bought my first home. So far i love it. Last night i got home from work around one am and noticed water in the hallway. Turns out the tp valve on the hot water heater was malfunctioning. There is a pipe that allows water to b released and caught in a catch pan/tray. This tray has drain so if it overflows it drains outside. (i'm sure most of u know this. i on the other hand still have alot to learn). Well the pan was uneven and the drain on the high side of the tray. Clearly water can't drain up, it must go down. So it overflows possibly b4 and certainly during my 12 hour shift at work. Now about half of the laminate wood must be replaced. There was no mention of this during my home inspection. Both plumbers, a friend, and I can clearly see he drain can not work. I have a thousand dollar deductible with State Farm. I would like the inspection company to pay this. I have missed work today, paid the plumber 75, home depot 2 hun. Had I know about this issue I would have addressed it prior to buying the home last wednesday. This is stressful for me any advice would be appreciated
michael
here are a couple pics

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Good luck going after the home inspector is all I can say. And yes, I'm talking from real life experience. :whistle:

Congrats tho on your 1st home

that really chews.... laminate and water are a bad mix I know, I had a new fridge leak on a new floor... grrrrrr....

get a couple of elbows/copper pipe and let it drip right in to the drain and pass that catch tray... :thumbsup:

that sounds like a good cheap idea. hopefully in a month or 2 i can just buy a new tank and place it above the drain. the old tank is 9 years old. as far as going after the inspector there is a 'release' i signed that states they are only liable for up to the fee they charged me which is 230. BUT i spoke with an attorney and they say the inspector was payed and trusted to provide a service which was not provided which is deception and fraud. and the release i signed would not apply. i want to cordial. i just want my floor fixed. My real estate agent told me that it is common for them to note such a problem upon inspection and they did not. So clearly they missed it. IDK what to do

replace the t&p and/or get a small submersible pump...good luck getting the inspection company to pay anything. I'd also do as evil suggested

i will take pics with a level on the pan shortly. the pics with no level do not indicate as clear the angle which the pan sits away from the drain

i have my own home inspection business and i can tell you they re most likely insured ( most states require it) call the inspector after you review the report he gave you, and try to settle it, if he does not express interest in helping resolve, file a complaint.

Should have been caught in the inspection, and for anyone else, if an inspector checks a house for you and it takes him LESS than 3 hrs, you got ripped off....:rulez:

Short of approaching the inspector or filing a complaint for negotiation of damages, theres not much you can do, sorry bro there are some real azzhats out there...

i have my own home inspection business and i can tell you they re most likely insured ( most states require it) call the inspector after you review the report he gave you, and try to settle it, if he does not express interest in helping resolve, file a complaint.

Should have been caught in the inspection, and for anyone else, if an inspector checks a house for you and it takes him LESS than 3 hrs, you got ripped off....:rulez:

Short of approaching the inspector or filing a complaint for negotiation of damages, theres not much you can do, sorry bro there are some real azzhats out there...
where were you when I bought my house? sheesh help a brother out :laugh:

I agree here:beerchug:

Did you by chance purchase or have the seller purchase a home warranty?

how long after the inspection of the house this happened?
i got lucky on my house, when i was buying mine and the inspector chech everything and noticed that one of the toilets had leak and the water was shut down, my relator notified the seller and the plumber came to fix it but for some reason it was not fixed and when he left it was leaking real bad. i came the next day for final inspection day before closing, noticed 70% of wood floor and carpet was flooded!:banghead:
well end up plumbing company was in fault and replaced all wood floor and carpet, it dalyed my closing but thank god it was before i moved in!:please:

the cost was 12500.00 dollars!

get a hold of your inspector see if thre is anything can be done!
good luck and sorry about the bad luck.

As far as I know around here at least. Not having to T/P line plumbed to the outside of the house does not meet code.

First of all the pan is not designed to catch the water from the over flow pipe. it is just for small minor leaks. The over flow pipe should be piped to the out side of the house. The Gen.

Yeah, that definitely should not be routed right down into the pan. Get that routed outside of the house. I've always heard to replace the valve once it pops. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check your water temp setting. You don't want it too hot. Good luck getting the repairs covered.

I agree here:beerchug:

What, you think I WOULDNT have flown out to do the inspection for you????

I would call that a service I would provide to anyone on the Org for free, well ok not free..depending on your location you would have to maybe fly me out..but beyond that, some wings and beer would have been sufficient payment:laugh::laugh:

Sorry I wasnt able to help you BEFORE this happened Mike..keep me updateed though, I can maybe help you maneuver through the dispute..offend my bretherin on the Org and you offend me...nuff said

OK Mike,

Let's torch this monkey...heres the resorces for you to start looking into action against this azzhat. It would help if you have a soft copy of his inspection report ( please dont tell me he was one of this I just write it on the sheet guys), if you have the soft copy OR can get it, shoot it to me so I can review it.

Additionally, ( dont know about him) but I take lots and lots of pics of my inspections, if you have a file with the pics he took indicating problems, concerns etc ship that to me too. Here's the resources for your state, go to the Gov sites and look up the actions you can take to file a complaint gainst this turd..lets get this pricess rolling and MAYBE you can find some resolve for this.

Oklahoma Licensure (Section 858-622 of Title 59) enacted in 2001. The "Oklahoma Home Inspection Licensing Act" provides for the licensing of home inspectors through the State Board of Health, and a newly created Committee of Home Inspector Examiners (Committee). The Committee is charged with advising the Board of Health in establishing rules relating to: 1) qualifications and examinations for licensure (the committee has adopted the National Home Inspector Examination as the test for minimum competence), 2) renewal requirements, 3) reinstatement of licenses, 4) continuing education, 5) standards of practice and prohibitions, 6) approval of schools and educational course content for home inspection, 7) standards for schools to remain approved to provide courses of instruction, 8) reciprocity agreements, and 9) investigative procedures. These Rules have been established in Title 310, Chapter 276. In order to take an examination for licensure, an applicant must be at least 18 years of age, and successfully complete 50 hours of home inspection training, or its equivalent, as determined by the Committee. Renewal of licenses will be granted provided home inspectors attend five hours of continuing education within the preceding 12 months. Under the law, licensed home inspectors will be required to carry no less than $50,000 of general liability insurance.

For more information, contact the Department of Health, Occupational Licensing at 1000 N.E. Tenth, Oklahoma City, OK 73117

Phone: (405)271-5243 FAX: (405)271-3458

Notwhithstanding, I still think you should give the turd a chance to address the issue as something he SHOULD have caught in the inspection, he may be a nice turd and decide to let you claim it on his insurance..the conversation will tellyopu where he is mentally on this and you can go from there but do NOT be antagonistic, be NICE...just follow the legal channels if he decides to be an azz and wait for the mediation component.

Please review your inspection report thoroughly to see if he DID mention the item as something that neded to be addressed, if he DID address it then there probably aint much you can do...I am here if you need me brother..

Let's put it this way....if that valve blows open, even a soldered joint has problems containing the pressure of a fully-opened valve....that hose should have been routed OUT the side wall, not into a drain pan local to the water heater. That was missed, and needs to be repaired to code. No less. Consider if that thing blew open and you were standing next to that drain pan......depending on temp setting......No Bueno.....

here in my county all they require you to do is pipe it down to a level 3 inches above the floor so it wont scald someone...apparently they don't care about water damage!!! but luckily for me my water heater is in an unfinished basement

is it "code" that there be a drip pan at the base of the HWH? I can tell you I have owned 5 houses and never seen one,that may be ok for a small leak but usually when the HWH goes that tray wouldnt worth a damn. I say,pay the 1k deductable,find a decent contractor who will build that into the estimate and redo everything brand new

goodluck

Back