Changing radiator fluid.

renaldoaoa

Registered
K,

Just changed my oil and I'm now looking at tackling the coolant.

The parts guy at my local store told me just to loosen the drain plug and it should suck out everything in my system including the overflow. The problem Im having is actually finding the drain plug on the system.

Looking at it closer I see theres the big radiator on top (looks to be for engine) and a lower one (I'm guessing transmission) but I dont see anything in a drain plug on either of them.

At the moment all I guess to do is just loosen the lower line comming off the upper raditor and let it drain that way, but I figure theres something else to it.

How exactly would I got about draining my fluild so that I refill??

Also when I find out how to get it out, I run it to operating temp with only distilled water/ cool down, empty then just add in the engine ice/water mix or should I do another flush with the water?

Thanks a whole heap!!!

I was surprised to see no replys, so I went ahead and did what I did.

I disconnected the line comming from the radiator to the engine (line under overfill I disconnected). and did a flush 5x's with distilled water. After seeing the fluid was clear I then went to put in the engine ice.
I've gotta say that I was lucky to have a box fan which I used to cut down the cooldown period in half.

All the while I thought I needed to mix it 50/50 , but upon looking at the directions on the container is said, "DO NOT ADD WATER".
It appears that I bought a verison that was already premixed.

I'm not sure how this got past me, but hey live and learn.
sad.gif

Since I had a hot date today and tonight with a sweet little PYT, and the bike was a MUST to have, I went ahead and did a 50/50 mix.
If I didnt I wouldve been without the bike until tues morning, and I'm positive candy pants wouldnt like that one bit.
wink.gif

Eventhough I went against what was recommend, everything seems to be going well, but I plan buying another jug and empty out whats in the radiator/overfill and add in the raw engine ice.
Hopefully this will give me enough raw fluid to make things right with ol busa.

Figured I'd run that past yall.

Have a great weekend, I know I will.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I need to flush my system and add the engine ice that I just bought today. I am going to check around before pulling the hose, however...

K,

Just changed my oil and I'm now looking at tackling the coolant.

The parts guy at my local store told me just to loosen the drain plug and it should suck out everything in my system including the overflow. The problem Im having is actually finding the drain plug on the system.

Looking at it closer I see theres the big radiator on top (looks to be for engine) and a lower one (I'm guessing transmission) but I dont see anything in a drain plug on either of them.

At the moment all I guess to do is just loosen the lower line comming off the upper raditor and let it drain that way, but I figure theres something else to it.

How exactly would I got about draining my fluild so that I refill??

Also when I find out how to get it out, I run it to operating temp with only distilled water/ cool down, empty then just add in the engine ice/water mix or should I do another flush with the water?

Thanks a whole heap!!!
The bigger radiator (top) is the coolant and the smaller, bottom one is the oil cooler.

You have the right idea about removing the lower hose. Here is the to the permanent shop manual. Look under periodic maintenance.

I just did mine and the coolant seemed pretty clean for a couple years of riding.

I removed both sides of the plastics.
Removed resuvoir bottle and flushed.
Opened main fill and removed lower hose on riad end and drained.
Removed upper hose on one end and drained.
Filled with distilled water and water wetter ( cheaper than engine ice, same summer results but is not an antifreeze )

Ran hard yesterday = All good!
thumbs-up.gif

I just did mine and the coolant seemed pretty clean for a couple years of riding.

I removed both sides of the plastics.
Removed resuvoir bottle and flushed.
Opened main fill and removed lower hose on riad end and drained.
Removed upper hose on one end and drained.
Filled with distilled water and water wetter ( cheaper than engine ice, same summer results but is not an antifreeze )

Ran hard yesterday = All good!  
thumbs-up.gif
+1 Just did it this past weekend too...opted for some other coolant, but all is well and seems to be running great...
smile.gif

The service manual recommends removing the hose from the coolant pump (located on the lower left side of the engine) to drain the system. I did it that way and it works well. Just remove the left side panel and you'll have access to both the hose and the reservoir so you can remove it, empty and clean it and reinstall it. Then refill the cooling system with a 50-50 mix of coolant and water - careful: it doesn't hold much! - and fill the reservoir to the "cold" line.

Ed

Burp the bike by leaning it over several times on both sides or air will be trapped inside the engine and you will run HOT....
smile.gif

Burp the bike by leaning it over several times on both sides or air will be trapped inside the engine and you will run HOT....
smile.gif
When you are leaning it over several times, do you have any hoses off or anything else open. Or do you just lean the bike over, and how far over--far enough over to need two people?

All the hoses are intact, stradle the bike and lean it as far as you can go to either side and that should do it...
btw.. I m a big guy 6'4" 230lb, if you are shorter you may want to get some help....
smile.gif

Back