Portiable WIFI device Need help, what to buy..

rpm9001

Donating Member
Registered
Well to start..I know nothing about WIFI. We have a WIFI connection at work, and I would like to find something like a pda, phone, ect.. Some thing on the small side to take with me in places that are connected to check mail and this site, ect... just some thing to be able to get connected at work. Has to be hand held.

anyone have any ideas? models, what to look for? I'm totaly lost. I would buy used if some one here has something that will work.

If you use something like this and can point me in the correct direction it would be a great help.

Thanks!!

Geo

I don't leave home without my Dell Axim X5. It's a bit dated now, but still works like new and I use it as much as my home PC. I have wifi and bluetooth CF cards that plug into it (new models will have both built in) and I can check email and surf the net from just about any populated area. 9 out of 10 people who own wireless routers are idiots who don't set up encryption. Drive through town or into any neighborhood and you'll have multiple choices to choose from.

Most hotels offer free wifi too, so it's awesome to have while traveling. My X5 runs at 400 mhz and has a total of 112 megs internal memory. I keep a 1 gig SD card in it for storage which contains games, hundreds of my MP3s and about a ½ dozen full length movies at any given time. It's basically an entertainment center that fits in the palm of your hand. When I'm out on my lawn tractor I can stream my favorite shoutcast radio stations from my home router as long as I stay within 700' of my house.

Only downside is that hayabusa.org is a memory hog and it takes a looong time to load on a pocket PC. Captain used to have a STATIC version for PDA owners but that disappeared several months back.

If I had to buy a new PDA tonight, I'd choose the Dell Axim X51V. Whatever you do choose a "Pocket PC" and not some Palm OS crap.

No problem, if you have any questions let me know.

If you go with a Dell, don't buy directly off their site without researching first. There are usually all sorts of discount codes and/or coupons that drastically lower the price.
Other large online dealers authorized by Dell will sometimes have lower prices too. I purchased my X5 brand new from geeks.com for $170 while Dell was selling it for $300.00. No difference in Dell warranty and tech support either.

I have been on ebay looking and the x5 is going between $150-$200+ I will keep looking.. hopfully someone on the site will have one they will want to part with... Going to look at geeks. com now.

This is way harder than I thought,,,:)

The X5 is really dated...I've had mine several years now. If the current top of the line X51V is too much $$$, look for an X50 or even a basic X51 (non VGA). They'll be more up to date and wifi will be built in.
If you go with the X5 make sure it includes a CF wifi card as those are getting hard to find. You should be able to get a good condition X5 with wifi card and other accessories including the original docking pod for under $100 bucks on ebay. Just make sure it's the "advanced" model. The "basic" is only 300 mhz and has less memory.

If you really want to get picky make sure it has the Intel PXA255 processor as it plays movies and does video game emulation better. The PXA250 used in some early production X5 models wasn't quite as good.

Check here for good deals too:
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=80

George,
I sent you a link via pm. What do you think. no card, but is this what you are talking about? There is so many out there.

Thanks
Geo

I agree the Dell is a fun unit. Depending how much you want or don't want to spend, the Windows Mobile phones [pricey] have many more features and abilities. Or PALM makes some cheaper WIFI stuff that gets the job done of surfing and email, for less change.

good luck. WIFI can be handy.

this site of FREE WIFI Hotspots is somewhat accurate
http://www.wififreespot.com/

if you want I have a used HP HPX4500 I think, that has bluetooth, wi-fi and a keyboard with it Ill sell for cheap.

Ill find out what it is for sure and let you know.

Josh

josh,
let me know, i have no bought anything yet, im interested, send me a pm.

Thanks,
Geo
beerchug.gif

Back