Por15 rust preventative pics

psycobusa

Registered
i bought the cylce kit from por15. it consist of a quart of metal clean, qt of metal ready, 8oz sealer, paint brush and a patch cloth (only used for small holes). very easy to use but is a little labor intensive. my tank had rust in it but not very very much. although it was enough to clog my fuel filter. pic in an earlier post, "this is why you do preventative maintenance." first you take off the tank, take off all fittings, filters and lines. duck tape the openings (leave one unplugged to pour in contents). pour then metal clean in with one qt of water and mix constantly for 20mins...did i mention labor intensive
smile.gif
this cleans the inside of varnishes and residues (not the rust) and prepares the metal for the 2nd step. after 20mins of swishing and getting it in every orifice of the tank, drain out contents. use a water hose and flush it out 2 or 3 times. try and get out most of the water to prepare for the 2nd step. ok, 2nd step is to pour in the metal ready. this removes the rust, works very well. just pour in the whole quart, seal the tank, and swish it around everywhere. then let the tank sit in different positions for 20 mins each. this makes sure it has enough time to get off all the rust. when finished, pour out contents and flush with warm water 2 or 3 times. this time you must make sure to get rid of all moisture in the tank. its easy to use a hairdrier to get rid of whats left after using a towel to soak up the most. after tank is completly dry, pour in the sealer. cover all openings and rotate tank til sealer has reached every inch of every crevis. next drain out all excess sealer. use the brush to paint where the sealer doesnt get. like around the gas cap opening. the last step is to let it cure for 3 to 4 days. i personally think the stuff is awesome. it got rid of all the rust in my tank. wish i took pics of the before but i guess i was to anxious to get started. anyway you can see a little rust around the gas cap where i havent painted it yet. also the coating is about the consistancy of a gallon of paint, maybe a little thinner and is silver.

por15_001.jpg

pm me if you have any questions. the kit is about $40 tyd. i have a 00 model tank so its easy to drain the excess fluids from the fuel petcock hole. i have seen how the 01-06 tanks are built with the internal pump. i really dont see an easy way to drain them. they have like a 1 or 2" lip that goes in the tank and so the fluids wouldnt just pour out
sad.gif

Yep. The guys in the old VW resto business rave about POR 15 products. Good stuff from what I hear.

I have been using this stuff for years. GREAT STUFF

Back