Rusty gas tank

Tattooed

Registered
Sorry first of all I didn't get any before pics of the rust, it's 101 degree here today and I was eager to test this stuff.

I Had my bike serviced at a local Suzuki dealer in CIncinnati, and I was told I had BAD rust inside. I was not about to get a new tank and pump nor a used tank and have to repaint it. So first I tried the Yamaha brand rust remover and restorer., No luck

I did a google search and found stuff called Metal rescue...I bought 6 glallon..25 dollars a gallon,,says to pour in tank, will not harm paint ,rubber or anything else besides Iron oxide. So I poured 5 plus gallons in and its been 3 hours and can already see the rust getting less visible! it says soak time can be from 5 minutes to 24 hours plus. i did try it on small tools I had laying around...This **** is amazing! And it's water based. Will not harm paint or seals like sulfuric acid will...If this works on mine, I will praise it..I really wish I had a before shot..It was pretty bad.

Hmm, that stuff looks interesting. Goign to see if my local HD stocks it, and test it out on some chrome bits I need to clean up.

I may need this too,but for sure my gas tank the inners of the fuel tank cap is rusty.

Ok after sitting little over 24 hours, inside bottom of tank.is 100% rust free! Flipped tank.over and.now to let of sit for another 24 hours . This stuff jus saved me a fortune.! This stuff works guys!

Ok after sitting little over 24 hours, inside bottom of tank.is 100% rust free! Flipped tank.over and.now to let of sit for another 24 hours . This stuff jus saved me a fortune.! This stuff works guys!

100% rust free? Is this 'stuff" clear like water and you could see all the way to the bottom?

Or did you have to remove it to check it out and then put it back in and turn the tank over to do the upper part of the tank?

It turns black as the rust dissolves. And yes the portion of the tank that soaked is now 100% rust free! Amazing. And it is reusable until it's black. Each gallon can dissolve a half pound of rust. So I am gonna be using this stuff for awhile haha. I just emptied the tank to check the upper half..still little bit of rust, I touched it with a long screw driver and it came right off! So I filled it back up , so tomorrow by 5pm it'll be ready to put back together! This stuff saved me a fortune! And guys , it's worth the money!!

I have a friend that just picked up 1200 Bandit that has been sitting for a while (but with 8,200 original miles). I will pass this information along to him as he mentioned some rust in the tank. Thanks for posting!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the belated update, The inside of the fuel tank is perfect, not a spec of rust now, I've been riding constantly :laugh: I hope this helped someone here or anyone you all may know..This stuff should be stocked at auto parts stores! Even all my tools I left in the yard are now rust free lol. It's amazing how long spark plugs last without having rust in the fuel ;)

i just had the same trouble with my '05. I pulled the fuel pump and the well it sits in was packed off pretty bad! I used a product called Kreem ($50 well spent IMO). Its a 3-step process that leaves you with a lined tank at the end. Kind of a PITA :moon: to do but the results were great! There was so much rust that it was causing fuel restriction which caused lagging at higher RPM's (so i've heard :whistle: ). Now it has that shoulder stretching punch that its supposed to have. Have you considered lining your tank to try and prevent it happening again?

Not really, I figure if it does it again, I'll just pull the tank and let that stuff sit in it for a day again.. But I just notices after a cpl weeks of riding, it just started " spitting " around 8grand . Just yesterday it was wanting to lift the tire up in 2nd at 7.5-8 wot ...I'm wondering if I fouled the plugs by using that cheap ass octane booster. I been using the same fuel and everything..Of course it could be the bottom of the barrel gas, **** it could be anything..Guess I'll try new plugs...

If it was the fuel pump, wouldn't the pump start acting up asap?!I love working on things so ....by choice not by force haha

Back