Red Kote gas tank sealer

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
Wanted to suggest this 'mod' for anyone who has their bike site for extended periods. I've been very slowly getting the bike back together. I had major issues with tank rust that seized my fuel previous pump and was still clogging the fuel filter from residual rust. I didn't get a chance to remove and drain the tank before going back overseas for three years. :banghead:

I bought a quart of Red Kote and used the whole thing. It's supposed to treat 15 gallons, but I would suggest using at least 3/4 quart. The only problem I had was it layered after I left it and created a big bubble in the back that I needed to cut away (I got lazy checking it after a while and let it sit too long in one position). Also did it on a humid day, so I had to bring the tank inside to prevent condensation from the chemicals evaporating. It's pretty noxious. :crazy:

No rust issues now. Took about an hour, slowly moving the tank periodically to get everything coated and thicken the layer. Let it air out at least a few days until it no longer smelled of fumes.

Currently wrapping the panels with 'vegan leather'. Hope to get on the road again sometime before I die. :laugh:

RedKote-before.jpg

RedKote-after.jpg

I might have to try that on my generator tank. It sits most of the time but I run it once in a while.

I might have to try that on my generator tank. It sits most of the time but I run it once in a while.
I have been using Red Kote for years on tanks. Works like a charm. There are tips and tricks to it if anybody is interested.
Working on peoples roaches (neglected bikes,barn finds,resurrection dreams) for about 40 years I have the method down.
Rubb.

Nice to see you post up @Narcissus. For those that don't know,Narc is member #1 on the Org. Nope,not the cAp.
Your injectors will most likely be gummed up to after sitting that long.
While you have it apart right. Depending on where it was stored...temp up/down might want to do all yer fluids. Clutch may be glazed too.
Hope it comes back strong. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
the #1 :bowdown:

i guess i have to try to help :-)

what i experienced last 20 years is the fact that really all kind of coatings inside tank will get loose by the time (4-5 years at the latest) and you will have again lots and lots of stress ´n anger with filters, injectors and pump .
only the clogging stuff then changed from rust to "coating".

so my recommandation is (only roughly described)
to clean the tank from the rust dust/powder (vacuum cleaner)
shake the tank (by hand or with a modded concrete mixer) filled with abrasive kind of very little stones / gravel for ... hours
then empty and clean again with the v.c.
then to clean / de-rust with acids (in combi with 12V voltage)
then "passivate" it with aceton
clean with water and
let it drop empty and dry for a day.
after that keep the tank completely full with fuel (or 99% empty / dry) if you leave alone the bike in the garage for a longer time (over 3 months or so).

i´m looking for the desription of a good friend who restores the very old Z 900 & 1000 from ´72-´76
and will post it later on.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
the #1 :bowdown:

i guess i have to try to help :-)

what i experienced last 20 years is the fact that really all kind of coatings inside tank will get loose by the time (4-5 years at the latest) and you will have again lots and lots of stress ´n anger with filters, injectors and pump .
only the clogging stuff then changed from rust to "coating".

so my recommandation is (only roughly described)
to clean the tank from the rust dust/powder (vacuum cleaner)
shake the tank (by hand or with a modded concrete mixer) filled with abrasive kind of very little stones / gravel for ... hours
then empty and clean again with the v.c.
then to clean / de-rust with acids (in combi with 12V voltage)
then "passivate" it with aceton
clean with water and
let it drop empty and dry for a day.
after that keep the tank completely full with fuel (or 99% empty / dry) if you leave alone the bike in the garage for a longer time (over 3 months or so).

i´m looking for the desription of a good friend who restores the very old Z 900 & 1000 from ´72-´76
and will post it later on.

I have heard sometimes they don't last. I personally have never had any trouble. Its like painting a bike or car...the prep is EVERYTHING. Your paint will only be as good as your body work.
Cement mixer,I like it. :thumbsup:
I have been known to use the clothes dryer (when significant other is not home) Pack with pillows,set on air only,away you go. For the rust removal I put in some nuts,the old style square ones work better than modern as they have sharper corners. Tie them on a loose circle of mechanics wire for fast easy removal.Nothing to heavy or you will have dents. Rinse with H2O to get the debris out,then rinse with something real nasty like MEK,acetone,etc. I use MEK because if you are running low on Red Kote,you can cut it with MEK to make it go farther.75/25 mix say.75% R K. Narcissus had an' issue where he left it unattended for a bit. Don't start yer coating process unless you are willing to babysit the coating process until complete. Pour in some R K, less is actually better,you don't need a very thick coat,just enuff to cover the entire inside surface.Pour in,seal all the holes and flip,turn,twist the tank until its coated everywhere inside. Takes a few minutes as the R K is quite thick (unless you have cut it) . Once U R sure its all coated,(BEFORE it even starts to dry) tip it back and forth thru the bottom hole (weather it be out a fuel pump hole,petcock hole,whatever the tank is. U wont get it all out thru the fill hole as it is lipped. Drain out all excess to a sealable container as it can be re-used for your next project.As Narc mentioned,let it dry until the smell is completely gone.Depending on enviro...hours to days. Don't speed the process with a heat gun,direct sun,etc. Let it do its thing.

R K is gr8 for a tank thats hard to find/replace (old obscure bike,etc) or if funds are tight.
IMO the other "coatings" don't work as well.
A shop with a proper dip tank can boil that sukker clean.Costs money thou.
If you have the means...buy a new tank.
Rubb.

Nice to see you post up @Narcissus. For those that don't know,Narc is member #1 on the Org. Nope,not the cAp.
Your injectors will most likely be gummed up to after sitting that long.
While you have it apart right. Depending on where it was stored...temp up/down might want to do all yer fluids. Clutch may be glazed too.
Hope it comes back strong. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

I've was running it periodically after changing all the fluids. Injectors and clutch are fine. The only problem I had was from valve tapping, since all the oil had drained over time and the top of the engine was dry. In hindsight, I should have pulled the valve cover and lubed it from above, while also checking the tappet clearance.

After running a while, the tapping went away, indicating that the engine was properly lubed throughout.

The fuel filter was getting clogged really quickly, though. I'm using the inline K&N filter from way back when I had the original '99 external fuel pump setup.

Lots to cleanup and parts to gradually refurb or replace, but I hope to be on the road by fall. :banana:

R K is gr8 for a tank thats hard to find/replace (old obscure bike,etc) or if funds are tight.
IMO the other "coatings" don't work as well.
A shop with a proper dip tank can boil that sukker clean.Costs money thou.
If you have the means...buy a new tank.
Rubb.

I did lots of research and checked reviews. RK seemed to be the one that lasted without any issues. The only issues I read were from people that used old batches, so the coating leached into the fuel. When I bought mine, I noticed dust on the can and had them check inventory. It had arrived a month prior, so the store was just really dusty.

I'd be lucky to find a tank that isn't already trashed for less than several hundred. $36 to coat the tank seems like the best option. :firing:

I've was running it periodically after changing all the fluids. Injectors and clutch are fine. The only problem I had was from valve tapping, since all the oil had drained over time and the top of the engine was dry. In hindsight, I should have pulled the valve cover and lubed it from above, while also checking the tappet clearance.

After running a while, the tapping went away, indicating that the engine was properly lubed throughout.

The fuel filter was getting clogged really quickly, though. I'm using the inline K&N filter from way back when I had the original '99 external fuel pump setup.

Lots to cleanup and parts to gradually refurb or replace, but I hope to be on the road by fall. :banana:
Glad to hear she loosened up. Did you consider an' oil additive?
Some folks believe,some don't. I'm on the fence. On my 2000 I had debris all over the fuel injector screens,plus they were gummed,are you going to pull your injectors and clean them?
Rubb.

Injectors are fine and everything past the filter is clean, so the filter is doing its job. It got clogged quickly enough that it took forever to start and when it did, wouldn't rev above 7~8K. Cleaned the screens and it ran fine. This was before doing the coating, so I shouldn't run into clogging issues once it's put together and running again. :)

I did lucas fuel treatment and ethanol fuel treatment. I've always been running full synthetic and there are no signs of carbon buildup in the intake, plugs, etc. It's also been sitting a long, long time. Got it just past 49K before it got mothballed. :(

I did lucas fuel treatment and ethanol fuel treatment. I've always been running full synthetic and there are no signs of carbon buildup in the intake, plugs, etc. It's also been sitting a long, long time. Got it just past 49K before it got mothballed. :(
If ever in need of a fuel injector cleaner I swear by this stuff...tell everybody about it. Available at yer local German car dealership/repair place. I've tried them all and I know yer a science guy so you'll appreciate this stuff.
SeaFoam,Stp,Royal Purple,Lucas,etc this beats them all hands down. Did my own little testing.

Suggestion came from member @ZeePopo :bowdown:
Rubb.

If ever in need of a fuel injector cleaner I swear by this stuff...tell everybody about it. Available at yer local German car dealership/repair place. I've tried them all and I know yer a science guy so you'll appreciate this stuff.
SeaFoam,Stp,Royal Purple,Lucas,etc this beats them all hands down. Did my own little testing.

View attachment 1623498

Suggestion came from member @ZeePopo :bowdown:
Rubb.
I put 20 ml with every gas tank. Glad you still like it. Rubbs real life testings. No payed sponsors lol.

Back