Pondering the Hayabusa, but still slightly on the edge

Kithro

Registered
I was lead here by a buddy from work, RTGT after mentioning I was interested in the Hayabusa. Currently I ride a Ninja 500, which is pretty stock except for modified dogbones (Raises the rear slightly, much better handling but at the cost of a bit forward riding position) and have a little over a year under my belt. While I feel that the ninja has been an excellent bike for around town commuting, as a reservist I have to drive over an hour to my unit - not to mention when I start school next fall its an hour commute there as well. In the search of my dream bike that I will intend to commute on as well as keep for the next few years, my choice came out to GSXR 750 and the Hayabusa.

My desires of the Busa are pretty simple. My main concern is comfort, especially on longer rides and traffic. Even though I am a smaller guy ( Slightly under 5'8) the windshield on my ninja does nothing but tire out my neck from the massive wind slapping me in the face and throwing the bike around a decent bit. Unless I tuck down the whole ride, it gets uncomfortable. The account I get for the busa, from many accounts, is that it is a very comfortable bike - even stock.

The next thing about the bike, is that it has a very smooth powerband and very good acceleration. My little ninja is amazing from red light to red light and around town, but I do have to do a lot of interstate driving. I'd rather not have to drop a gear or two just to pass by someone or go WOT to get to the speed limit quickly enough to merge into traffic from the ramp. My other concern is the ninja's powerband - as I go for commuting, I focus on good MPG over zipping from red light to red light. Cruising at low RPMS on the ninja is very sluggish and the bike doesn't like it. To be honest, in this regard my busa would most likely spend a good bit of city time in the C mode. Say what you what about it, but for a commuter I think its the best option. People seem to scoff at me when I mention this, saying I am wasting my bike. Speed is not the reason I desire a busa. If I track it, or twisties - which isn't very often; The bike will see another mode. I am wasting potential, odds are I will never see the end speed of this bike or any bike for that matter. I've had my ninja to 90 on the interstate when passing, but thats about it. At the track, I might take advantage of the straights though. Maybe.

A very important detail is I want rid of a carb bike. As I desire to use my motorcycle year round, this just isn't ideal with my bike. The ninjas(at least mine anyways) hate cold weather and is very sluggish unless I wait forever for it to warm up, and its barley warm by the time I get to work - which is about 12 miles from my house. Its not just the busa that I would enjoy for the view point, but a general concern for my next bike. Any non-carb bike would fit the bill.

The busa seems to have plenty of after-market parts around, and replacement parts seem easy to find (Assuming at one point my potential busa decides to attempt to ride the air rather than the road). This was a major problem when I low-sided my Ninja (Partial rider error, though I was going very slow thankfully. The road was a mess from a washed out drive way and I had poor quality stock tires on the bike. Bike met rocks, rocks pushed to dirt, dirt didn't like bike). I busted my side cowling and with the way the ninja is designed I had to replace the whole front - not a cheap adventure. I tried finding a used one but sadly parts for a Ninja 500 are few and far between. Even after-market parts are uncommon as its a discontinued and semi-unpopular bike.

Main concerns for getting a busa invovle my height. Am I too short for a stock busa? I've seen RTGT's bike at work and he seems to fit very easily onto it, but he is also a decent bit taller than me. I am sure with the busa its the same as most bikes, lowering it will hamper handling a bit - something I would like to avoid.

Speaking of handling, I have gotten mixed results on this. Of course, I don't expect it to flick like a GSXR or CBR - but I don't want a moving brick in corners. Of course, the 500 is no supersport - not by a long shot. Even with mods, my bike is lighter and handles a little better but is still not made to be supersport nimble. In this regard, its not like I am expect a sudden flicking knee dragger handle expectation. I have a slight feeling that most of the people who say the bike isn't very nimble or flickable have not ridden one. I have not, so I cannot claim to know so for fact. I've ridden behind RTGT though, and he seems to take corners as well, if not better than me on mine. (Attribute some of that to experience and skill - but regardless its obvious it can corner just fine). I am worried the weight will cause problems in tight corner or round-about/U-turns. Seeing some members here shorter than me and having no problems with this though, does give me hope.

I was actually quiet surprised by the insurance rate. It isn't much more than my current bike (With the basics, anyways); Part of this is because the busa isn't classified by Progressive as a supersport but rather as a sport touring bike. Its actually cheaper on insurance than the GSXR I was considering. Which of course, makes me happy.

I apologize for the length of this post, I know most people have no desire to read a book. A bike is a big purchase though , and when weighing my options I feel like I want as much information as possible and address concerns. Right now, if I pick the busa my goal will be to get lucky and snag a left over 2009 or 2010 at the start of this summer. I appreciate any insight or comments that would assist me in understanding the bike better.

Have you ever sat on or rode RTGTs bike? That would help you understand the riding posture, center of gravity, and many more of your questions. Unless you get one of the larger touring screens, your still going to get some wind as you effortlessly cruise at highway speeds. Your choice of FI over carb is a good one for efficiency, whatever bike you choose. The added weight of any larger bike will take some getting used to before you can run as you do on your Ninja. Hope I may have helped some.

For me I've no regrets with my choice of a Busa, plenty of add-ons and parts and a forum that will help you with anything you'll ever want to know about it.
Good luck on choosing your next bike and :welcome: to the Org..

You will enjoy a busa.

Make sure you were the proper gear. You are under UCMJ authority when travelling to/from drill/duty, and this covers you for Line of Duty if you get injured enroute.

Make sure you were the proper gear. You are under UCMJ authority when travelling to/from drill/duty, and this covers you for Line of Duty if you get injured enroute.

+1000. Hopefully, you have already done the MSF course also. An 87 KAW EX500 was also my first bike so I can relate to the points you raised about it. After I got good with it (passed the MSF and got my M/C endorsement), I upgraded to an 87 HON CBR100 for the same reasons you have for considering the Busa.

In case you have not yet read this (NOT your 1st bike but good tips nonetheless)
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-owners-forum/24283-thinking-about-hayabusa-first-bike.html

i went from 600's to my busa... only thing that took me to get use to was the acceleration and total weight... other than that it was nothing

The Busa handles excellent, you are right to say that folks claiming it won't haven't ridden it. At your height you may be on tip toes on a stock Busa. This is easily fixed, a thinner aftermarket seat, lowering links for the rear, lowering the forks in the triple clamps. The Busa has great wind protection, but more can be had with several aftermarket windscreens to choose from. The reach to the handlebars can also be slightly shortened with risers and heli bars, making for an even more comfortable ride.
The aftermarket for the Busa is huge, possibilities are endless. If it's lacking a few things in comfort or seating for you, don't worry, it's easy to make the bike fit you alot better. You like your Ninja, you'll love a Hayabusa.

No need to worry about the gear for me, AGATT. All it took was one low side to realize not to skip anything. Went out the next day and got a full set of leathers. I've not ridden or sat on RT's, is there a height difference between Gen I and II? I might try to swindle the shop into letting me test one of their used ones or find one on CL to ride first to see how it feels for me. Honestly I think at this point anything would be more comfortable than the ninja - its stock seat is /terrible/, my butt hates me for it. The newer ones are not as bad as the banana seats of the old ones - but its very sad that the technology of the 250 is far more advance that the 500 was (Sad when a bikes baby brother gets yearly updates but it hasn't gotten one since the 80's) I appreciate the warm welcomes and advice! They are all wonderful and very helpful post.

you'll def love the busa. Just start off slow and never ride beyond your limit. Being in the military watch that throttle too, you'll get double whammied. you'll grow to love her and for the long hauls it's even better:thumbsup:

i've had many bike through the years-mostly harley style cruisers, a couple of half-breeds and two sport bikes- i'll never give up my busa... it's everything i could ask for in a bike... 'nuff said.:thumbsup:

The Busa is a very different bike to your current one.

They are not for everyone.

See if you can beg/borrow/steal a ride on one.

I am hoping the dealer will have one I can ride, though I won't bet much on it. I can understand why Busa's are not for everyone - it is a very different bike. In fact I'd say other than the ZX, nothing else is really close to the busa design wise. As for throttle and the busa, I think its not just the busa where its vital. TC, as per command of Keith Cole, is critical for anything with two wheels - even a 250. Thankfully, unlike many supersports the busa has a mode selector - so hopefully it will be a bit more tame when I get it.

:welcome: to the org. The busa handles very well, You will not be dissapointed, And check with State Farm for your insurance it will be ALOT cheaper than progressive ever thought about being.

No need to worry about the gear for me, AGATT. All it took was one low side to realize not to skip anything. Went out the next day and got a full set of leathers. I've not ridden or sat on RT's, is there a height difference between Gen I and II? I might try to swindle the shop into letting me test one of their used ones or find one on CL to ride first to see how it feels for me. Honestly I think at this point anything would be more comfortable than the ninja - its stock seat is /terrible/, my butt hates me for it. The newer ones are not as bad as the banana seats of the old ones - but its very sad that the technology of the 250 is far more advance that the 500 was (Sad when a bikes baby brother gets yearly updates but it hasn't gotten one since the 80's) I appreciate the warm welcomes and advice! They are all wonderful and very helpful post.

Gen 1 and 2 share the same ergonomics, there is no height difference(unless someone already changed the seat). The frame is the same, and the major changes were cosmetic, engine internals, and brakes.
There are 5 main brands of aftermarket seats(Corbin, New Image aka Tobin, Suzuki Gel, Sargeant, and Saddlemen) All feel different, you'll find at least one you prefer. New Image will sit lower, but it's shape prevents you from being able to slide all the way back. Corbin will make you're seat thinner if you ask, to help your feet touch the ground easier.

:welcome: Ponder a little longer, then test drive a friends. When you are blown away by the comfort, speed and agility of this unbelievable machine :bowdown: .Hit me up for a 2011 at a used 2009 price 0 miles straight out the crate. this spring.
The 250 is a track race bike and huge in the EU that is why it is upgraded yearly and the 500 is an American starter bike that most people only ride for a year or two until they upgrade to a larger faster bike.

Last edited:
The Busa handles excellent, you are right to say that folks claiming it won't haven't ridden it. At your height you may be on tip toes on a stock Busa. This is easily fixed, a thinner aftermarket seat, lowering links for the rear, lowering the forks in the triple clamps. The Busa has great wind protection, but more can be had with several aftermarket windscreens to choose from. The reach to the handlebars can also be slightly shortened with risers and heli bars, making for an even more comfortable ride.
The aftermarket for the Busa is huge, possibilities are endless. If it's lacking a few things in comfort or seating for you, don't worry, it's easy to make the bike fit you alot better. You like your Ninja, you'll love a Hayabusa.

Lowering links helped me out tremendously. I'm only 5'6 and lowered my bike an inch. That inch made a huge difference.

My main concern is comfort, especially on longer rides and traffic

I stopped reading here, Busa comfort is far better than the Gix750.

looks like everyone else covered about everything except

the busa is an expensave mechine $ to buy, to maintain, and to fix. just a small kickstand drop can set you back $2k.in dammage.

not to scare ya away, i think its the best bike in the world :cheerleader::cheerleader:(and i have 20 others)

sounds like to me like you are being thourough in your choice. If you commute as much as you say dont get a 750. very uncomfortable for this....though you are short enough it might not be as bad for you. Its hard for me to judge comfort as i am a lot taller then you and 750s are just to cramped for me. A lot of how a bike handles is up to you. your body weight has a lot to say on how well the busa will corner as you need some umpf to throw it around a little. Lots has to do with the tires you put on it as well. You cant run cheap tires and expect to have a good handling machine out of the busa. As far as your experience goes it sounds like you have your head screwed o straight there too. Please keep in mind if you get a busa if you turn the throttle like you are used to having to do on that little 500 it wont turn out well for you. The 500 isnt the 250 bigger brother buy the way. The 250 is way more bike then the 500 ever dreamed of being. i would suggest a busa to you though like you said yopu will have to lower it a little for safety reasons i think. You should at least be able to have balls of feet on ground at a min. I think you should also be able to pick it up off the ground if need be in cases of accident or drop. If either of these isnt possible for you then i would think on another machine. Welcome to the group!!! you made a smart move checking the whole picture out first!

The 500 isn't related to anyone now actually. They no longer make them. I've looked at the price of a Busa and its parts and compared them to the 500. The busa ends up being cheaper to repair due to the abundance of parts. :/ The bad thing about the 500 is its a single fairing bike pretty, you break one peice you have to replace it all ~ And they are not easy to find. At least with the busa I could get aftermarket stuff to replace anything stock that messes up. There are virtually zero options for aftermarket anything on the 500. What do you expect from a bike thats pretty much the same since it was first designed. Tire wise.. If/when I do decide to adopt the Busa - you can bet I will replace the stock tires immedietly. Stock tires is part of what contributed to my ninja's wreck. I would like to point out, if I hadn't already - I have rode on a CBR1000 and an R6/R1(The Yamaha demos were set up when I when to the dealer to get my ninja worked on so I decided to try them out) so I do understand that there is a huge difference in throttle. From the R6, not so much. Of course these bikes have a higher powerband and the busa has an even one. Sadly :( I only weigh 170. I don't think this could be enough to throw the busa around with skill and experience on it. I am no knee dragger though, even on my ninja, though I have once or twice practicing on off long sweeper curves or and off-ramp. Thank you, Keith Cole for teaching me that bike lean doesn't reflect cornering and that rider lean and riding position are key. I bought a motorcycle for the gas mileage initially and ended up really enjoying the riding. The price of the Busa or any bike for that matter is well worth it to me. My gas guzzling car that I am over-paying for gets a whooping 20 MPG :( The dealer suckered me on that one. My bike is/was my main transportation(Sadly, my little carb'd bike does not like year round riding). I bought the ninja as a learning bike, and did not intend to keep it. My next bike, perhaps a busa, will be a bike I keep until it wears out or I decide to trade it for a newer model. This is why I am trying to make the best choice.

Back