politicians gone mad!!!

He said it wrong and used the wrong analogy, but there is some argument for the difference in pay...and I'm going to see if I can use the right analogy without ticking everyone off:

Let's try this:
Two people working at same company; equally educated with same degree, same university, same grade

Person A
50 yrs old
Started working at 20, so 30 yrs experience, worked entire 30 years
Worked the entire time, built up knowledge/experience/contacts

Person B
50 yrs old
Stared working at 20, stopped at 30 took a 10 year sabbatical, worked again 40 t0 50.
Worked 20 of the 30 years

Which person would you expect to be paid more? Would it matter if both were men, both women or one of each? What if the woman worked the entire time and it was the man that took off? What if Person B actually was getting paid more than person A?

Point being, there are no two identical people with identical education/experience/knowledge, etc. on the planet. Make it a little difficult to say that both must, BY LAW, receive equal pay, especially in a free market system, where they are selling themselves to the highest bidder. There are a lot of women who eschewed having children for careers, and a lot of them make equal pay, not because of any law, but because they are worth it to that employer.

There are lots of studies out there that seem to indicate that women prefer different things/environments than men (no, i can't name the study, but I actually hear this same subject discusseed the other night on Phil Valentine). Studies have said that women may perfer other things in lieu of pay, such as better insurance benefits, a calmer work environment, etc., over pay. And, let's face it, men and women have totally different emotional makeups (you married guys know what I mean); they deal with stress and agressive behavior differently than men (I didn't say BETTER or WORSE, just DIFFERENT). I can tell you without a doubt, that my wife would prefer less pay for less stress any day. She could not handle the stress job I have. Hard to make any law that makes it equal....

Ladies, please do not consider this any kind of put down - can't live with ya, can't live without ya!

Back