cops gone mad

craigntx

Registered
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82447

Search: All WKYC News Yellow Pages Classifieds Events Cars Jobs Local News Recipes Blogs Videos

Homepage >> News >>

Exclusive: Strip search of woman by Sheriff's Deputies called outrageous

Susan Vinella
Created: 1/31/2008 4:54:38 PM
Updated:2/1/2008 12:40:15 PM

Video
Play Video

CANTON -- Hope Steffey's night began with a call to police for help. It ended with her face down, completely naked and sobbing on a jail cell floor.
Steffey says Stark County sheriff's deputies used excessive force and assaulted her during a strip search 15 months ago, according to a federal lawsuit.

Stark County Sheriff Timothy Swanson denies the allegation.

Steffey's attorney says her clothes, including her underwear and bra, were stripped from her body by at least seven male and female sheriff's deputies and jail workers. She lay face down in handcuffs at the time.

"Hope begged and pleaded with her ... assailants to stop," the lawsuit says. "There was no forcible penetration but Hope felt as if she was being raped."

The sheriff denies this was a strip search.

The sheriff's policy requires officers conducting any strip search to be of the same sex.

Her attorney, David Malik, said Steffey, 41, was never asked to voluntarily remove her clothes.
In an e-mail, Swanson said Steffey was asked to remove her clothes but refused. He said deputies took them off for her own safety.

Swanson declined to comment further, saying the details would come out in court.

Channel 3 News obtained exclusive video of Steffey's night in the Stark County jail cell. You can click the link at the bottom of the page to view it. A warning: it is difficult to watch.

Steffey declined to be interviewed for this story. But her husband, a high school educator, talked to Channel 3's Tom Meyer.

Greg Steffey said his wife is still traumatized. But the couple wants the story told to prevent it from happening to someone else.

"This could be your wife or anyone's wife," Greg Steffey said.

He said he still can't believe this happened to Hope, a 125-pound woman who, earlier that night, turned to police for help.

"You don't treat people like this," Greg Steffey said. "I don't think murderers are treated like this much less people charged with disorderly conduct."

Steffey's ordeal with the Stark County Sheriff's deputies began after her cousin called police for help.

In a 9-1-1 call, her cousin said Steffey had been assaulted by another cousin.

When a Stark County deputy arrived, he asked for Steffey's driver's license. She accidentally turned over her dead sister's license, which she said she keeps in her wallet as a memento, the lawsuit says.

The deputy refused to give the license back and told Steffey to "shut up about your dead sister," according to her attorney.

The sheriff denied that in a written response to the lawsuit.

Eventually, Steffey was arrested and taken to the Stark County Jail. She was later charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

After her clothes were removed, she was locked in a cell. To stay warm, she wrapped herself in toilet paper. She remained in the cell for six hours.

During that time, she was not allowed to use a phone or seek medical attention for injuries she suffered that night, including a cracked tooth, bulging disc and bruises, the lawsuit says.

The sheriff denies that.

Can't play the video
argue.gif

Lets re-cap, Crackwhore goes to jail, refuses to co-operate, gets pwned, learns that her reality is a little faulty, is angry about it and wants to sue...

Big freaking deal...

Sounds like a classic evening in the trailer park to me...

Lets re-cap, Crackwhore goes to jail, refuses to co-operate, gets pwned, learns that her reality is a little faulty, is angry about it and wants to sue...

Big freaking deal...

Sounds like a classic evening in the trailer park to me...
+1

Media chop job. I'll bet the whole event was recorded and I didn't see any police abuse, she was out of control. I don't know about crackwhore,maybe alcohol or Prozac. Probably a Percocet fueled comment,huh
rofl.gif

Just messing
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

I was thinking alcohol also. More info required. Who was recording in the cell? If it was the police, I would lean towards - for their defense in having males help hold her.

I can't believe footage like that is in the hands of a TV station. Why?

Such BS. No matter what the claims, at the very least police are not allowed to have males present during a strip search. 7 police against 1 female in handcuffs, c'mon. Another classic abuse of power. Anyways, I'm sure she's the next trailer park millionaire, jury will see that and give what ever she wants.

We'll probably never know the truth. I say any media outlet worth a dayum would release the complete clip, but I guess you couldn't make money reporting the truth.

In most of these cases around here the City or County simply settles out of court because it's the cheapest thing to do, right or wrong. I think it was a poor decision by someone to have the males present. Probably should have secured her in a holding cell until the next day.

It don't look good, I would have a problem if it were my wife. But too I don't think I would be just standing by like her husband. Strange from both sides.

More info needed, was she drunk or on drugs?

Why would they leave her naked without a blanket??

I can't see how the police did everything right in this...

We are not seeing it all, but what was done to that woman was wrong.

We all have strong opnions on this. After watching what was available on the link I believe the sheriff's dept. has not released all the video on this case. We're not getting the whole story here from either side. Not sure where the crack ***** stuff is coming from, but even if she is or is not, that doesn't excuse the excessive force used by the sheriffs dept. Moreover, the sheriff's dept is violating their own police by having males present during a strip search. I try to stand behind our law enforcemnt professionals, but in the incident depicted, the deputy sheriffs and the jail personal are out of line. And... when the jury sees this video she is going to be a very wealthy woman because some over zelous law enforcement personnel crossed the line.

We all have strong opnions on this.  After watching what was available on the link I believe the sheriff's dept. has not released all the video on this case.  We're not getting the whole story here from either side.  Not sure where the crack ***** stuff is coming from, but even if she is or is not, that doesn't excuse the excessive force used by the sheriffs dept.  Moreover, the sheriff's dept is violating their own police by having males present during a strip search.  I try to stand behind our law enforcemnt professionals, but in the incident depicted, the deputy sheriffs and the jail personal are out of line.  And... when the jury sees this video she is going to be a very wealthy woman because some over zelous law enforcement personnel crossed the line.
i agree, i always try to give law enforcement benefit of the doubt..but..i unfortunatly KNOW first hand these UNBELEIVABLE things happen. at least they didnt beat her up. i bet she would have rather them have.

i dont know where this crackhead stuff is coming from either. maybe you guys didnt get t see the vid. no matter what lead up to the jail room. that was unaceptable. if that was my wife

Biggest point that makes you know the cops went to far.

This NEVER would have happened to a cop, judge, celebrity, etc... Can you image them stripping down Oprah
wowold.gif

This went too far. No need for male cops there. If the female cops couldn't handle it, get another job. If that was a female close to me, I'd be very upset. As said above, where did the 'crack *****' crap come into this evaluation? Even if she was drunk, etc., it does not justify the treatment in this situation. I don't have much sympathy for criminals that whine about not being treated right, but there is too many holes in this story. I have contemplated being involved in police departments for years and have the utmost respect for law enforcement officers, but just as any profession, you have those who just don't do a good job. I had a friend years ago who was pulled over and they took his car. It was a nice vehicle, that just happened to have about another 1,000 miles on it when he got out of jail after the weekend.

Heres a better written story that paints a better picture. I originally commented I saw no abuse, after reading this story, yes there was abuse.

http://www.salemnews.net/news/articles.asp?articleID=9849
Just read this article and says basically the same thing video showed and the news people reported. Some deputies and jail personnel are going to be in deep trouble over this. My guess is that there will be some lost jobs over this and this case will settle out of court for a lot of money.

Her husband claims that the Law Enforcement version of what happened inside the jail just isn't true. There is no way that he could know that. Generally, if someone is stripped naked, denied clothing and placed in isolation, it's for suicide watch purposes, as people can use all sorts of things to commit suicide, especially clothing, sheets, towels, blankets, etc. As usual, I'd guess that the media is leaving much out to make the story more scandalous. It sells advertising airtime when you have lots of scandal for people to watch. Yes, it's advisable to have only same sex officers present for a routine strip search. This clearly was not routine. In the case of a violent person who needs to be put on a suicide watch type status, suspect and officer safety overrides the individual's need for privacy. Common sense there. For the person who said that if two female officers can't "handle" one female suspect, well, put yourself in that same position. You and one other officer are required to "handle" a possibly violent offender, while trying not to harm him (I'm assuming you're male), while he doesn't care whether he harms you. Care to do that every night for the rest of your career? I doubt it. It's easier to have extra people there to hold them down while you do what you are required morally, and by law to do, so that you don't actually have to fight with them, risking injury to all. If one or more of the officers holding the person down during the search is of the opposite gender, well, so be it. If you don't want this to happen to you, don't act like this.

Whomever is right or wrong here, I absolutely guarantee that neither of the media stories supplied in this link are telling the entire story.

Back