Polishing Gurus

khawk952

Registered
Ok so I started polishing my frame today, so far I used tal-strip to help get the anodizing off and wet sand with 80 grit. So my eyes may be decieving me a little but how do I know when all of the anodizing is off? Also when do I change up to the 120 grit? So far its looking pretty good to me the ruff part of the frame is pretty smooth to the touch.

Anodize is an oxidation and penetrates as well as builds up. So assuming normal anodizing which is usually .001" in and .001" build up, you would have to remove .002" of material to get through. But I think if it polishes nicely you should be okay even if you don't get it all off.
doliland (Darrell) will know more than most about this.
Bubba

Oh, and welcome to the org.

You'll know when the aluminum is an even clean color from end to end. I do alot of polishing, and I usually sand blast, then start with 320 grit and go through 600 grit. I sand til it's smoothe and even from one end to the other, then I use scotchbrite to clean it off and soften it up. Then I start in with the black emery rouge, then when I do 2 cuts with that I switch wheels and hit it with the white diamond., Walaa, total bling!

Ok just a little progress report i'm up to the 320 grit now and frame has a satin finish, just checking to see if i'm on the right track so far.

ok just a little progress report i'm at 400 grit and the frame has a satin finish right now im just checking to see if i'm on the right track. havent used any power tools yet but will be using a angle grinder and buffing wheels when its time to put the polish on.

my progress so far ... not perfect but its my first time

LX9G5454.jpg

LX9G5452.jpg

I'm no polishing guru, but looks hella good to me. Looks pretty professional from here.. Good job man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny thing is some spend tons of time and money to get stuff powder coated and others spend tons of time and money to polish stuff... Funny how the world goes around
Posted via Mobile Device

Back